RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Galcier National Park Montana

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Galcier National Park Montana

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As to not rewrite everything - go to our blog: www.RVingandtravels.com and click on Glacier in the Index. We've written extensively of the area - been a couple times for extended stays.

Enjoy - it's one of our favorite parks!

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

jbarry

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

normared wrote:

We really liked the boat ride on the lake (but was it St Mary's or McDonald?): http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/boat-trips-and-rentals.htm

The one we took motored up one lake, then we took a short hike (maybe 1/2 mile) to the 'upper' lake, and took another boat up to the end of that lake. The 2nd boat 'left us' there for a few hours - it gave us a break, almost no one else around, and it was one of the most memorable parts of our stay! Check into it.

X2...Just outside the Many Glacier Hotel. Many Glacier campground is a short hike away. The hotel is a must see...have a drink (adult or not) and enjoy the view from one of the balconies or outside on the lawn overlooking the lake.

If you do the GTTS Road, stop at the visitor's center at Logan Pass. Take the "hike" up to Hidden Lake and enjoy the views as well as lots of wild life. Don't forget your camera!!!

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, couple of notes. Many Glacier Lodge on the east side by Swiftcurrent Lake is a sight to see. You can take a boat out of there and even extend it by taking a short up and down hike (mayb 3/8 mile) to another boat and up to the end there. That is where you can catch the trail to one of the most beautiful - but tough, not impossible - hikes you will ever do - Grinnell Glacier. The boats are a shuttle but I would suggest reservations if you are going to do the hike and take the first one in the morning.

There is a nice about 2 miles walk / hike around the lake out of the Lodge.

Still not sure if you have a toad. If not, do the red bus. Or do the red bus if you don't want to drive Going To The Sun Road - which is a must. Downside of red bus is that you are on THEIR time frame / stopping points, not yours.

I don't post pix here but check www.LaurenBarbara.com under the Wanderings link on the left and then Montana and Glacier.

Enjoy.

DW of 51 great years, Barbara
2nd Best Friend-"Aussie" Terrier, Sadie
2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
2006.5 Chev 3500 3LT XCab 4x4 Dmax Allie

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to include these pictures in my post yesterday. Pictures taken first week of June 2010.

Looking southeast from our site at St. Mary KOA

Looking west toward St. Mary Lake from St. Mary KOA

Group of Bighorn Sheep grazing on the mountainside at Many Glacier

Two Mountain Goats at Many Glacier

There are 16 Mountain Goats in this picture from Many Glacier

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

Roadlover

Petoskey, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of those places most any RV'er will want to put on their "Bucket List". We were there with our kids back in 2005 and it was simply amazing. The only down side is that we only had two weeks, including travel time from Michigan and tried to cram in to large of an area to visit in one small trip. We spent a few days in Glacier, went up to Waterton, Bamff, Columbia Ice Fields and then over to British Columbia and back down to Glacier. I don't regret seeing the places we saw but it only wet our appetite to go back and spend some focused time. I guess you can say by trying to see so much we really ended up seeing so little.

The veteran travelers will have a lot to offer you in places you should go but also take the time to study up an what this great National Park has to offer. Exploring the internet on Glacier will get your heart pumping in the anticipation of seeing this place in July.

If I had one piece of advice, I would agree with taking advantage of the "Red Bus" tours. Unfortuneately, we did not take them and could kick ourselves after hearing what others have said about them.

But, like I said, we really don't have any serious regrets from our trip there because we did see a lot and the girls still talk about how much fun we all had as a family. If anything, it just made us look forward to the time we can take the trip at a slower pace and really explore this magnificent park.

Have fun researching for this trip, you are going to have a blast!

"The Journey is the Destination"

2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 LT Duramax/Allison DRW 4X4
Banks Powerpack, Sprayed-In Bed Liner,
TorkLift Tiedowns, StableLoads, FastGuns with Locks and RideRite Air Bags

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath and Fox Landing

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadlover.. this sounds like almost every trip we went on with our kids, try to see too much in a small amount of time, my wife and i see that we should have spent more time in each park but the kids are usually high strung and high speed so they didn't know any different.

We are now starting to go back and really explore each one (with out) the kids as they are grown.

Glacier is on that list.

Darwin

1993 Dodge cummins crankin out some torque,
2003 Lance 1071 loaded to the hilt

HTT to be?

Southern Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lauren wrote:

Well, couple of notes. Many Glacier Lodge on the east side by Swiftcurrent Lake is a sight to see. You can take a boat out of there and even extend it by taking a short up and down hike (mayb 3/8 mile) to another boat and up to the end there. That is where you can catch the trail to one of the most beautiful - but tough, not impossible - hikes you will ever do - Grinnell Glacier. The boats are a shuttle but I would suggest reservations if you are going to do the hike and take the first one in the morning.

There is a nice about 2 miles walk / hike around the lake out of the Lodge.

Still not sure if you have a toad. If not, do the red bus. Or do the red bus if you don't want to drive Going To The Sun Road - which is a must. Downside of red bus is that you are on THEIR time frame / stopping points, not yours.

I don't post pix here but check www.LaurenBarbara.com under the Wanderings link on the left and then Montana and Glacier.

Enjoy.

Shot of the Inn @ Many Glacier

A view from the shore at Swiftcurrent Lake

Man......I want to go back there real bad!!!!

2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been to Peyto and Moraine - yup, you will get your socks knocked off!

NightTraveler

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is our goal for the summer of 2013. Our favorite place on earth is Moraine Lake but it looks like some of these views may rival it. Can't wait!

Lynn, Bud, 2 teenaged boys
A Husky named Laska
2012 GMC Yukon
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
Our Blog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Galcier National Park Montana
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS