RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rear jacks..would like electric and need advice

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rear jacks..would like electric and need advice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I would like to have electric jacks for the rear of our fifth wheel. We would appreciate any advice on types and how difficult this is to do. Currently we have the regular crank down kind with some type of stablizer bars attached. I would like to surprise him and get some and then have them installed locally.

Western New Yorkers
One lazy Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Rossey

Appomattox, Virginia. / Rockville, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with your local RV dealer....... or do a search for a "Camping World" dealer in your area for information on installation. It shouldn't be that difficult for them to install a system for you..... I imagine that there are only a few companies that make electric rear stabilizers for the RV industry. Suggest that you "Google" "RV Electric rear stabilizers" for more info.

Norskeman

Oswego, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased a 2012 trailer last November - only used once and the motor is already bad. I would not put them on a trailer - on my last one I used a cordless drill and a socket to raise and lower - much faster than the motor installed on the electric ones. It will be repaired under warranty - when it fails out of warranty I will not replace the motor - I'll make an adapter to use with my drill. I think a new motor is about $300.00

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS fifth wheel.
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't install the Quadra leveling system?

2011 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,Breaksmart controller(not install I use Ford controler ),Equa-Flex.6 points LIPPERD Level-up.

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use a 1/2" Sears cordless on the four of ours. Sucker has plenty of torque and works instantly. Even locks for that last little bit of "umph" you need. $105.00 JMHO

charles weidman

F-TROUP

VISALIA, CALIF

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norskeman wrote:

Purchased a 2012 trailer last November - only used once and the motor is already bad. I would not put them on a trailer - on my last one I used a cordless drill and a socket to raise and lower - much faster than the motor installed on the electric ones. It will be repaired under warranty - when it fails out of warranty I will not replace the motor - I'll make an adapter to use with my drill. I think a new motor is about $300.00

Get the electric you'll like it, have had no problems with it at all. What I like best of all it suports the trailer with equal pressure on uneven ground, as one foot makes contact it stops and waits for the other side to catch up and then both life at the same rate, no tweaking.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've got the electric stabilizers at the rear and I would prefer the cordless drill and manual stabilizers. IMO the main problem with the electrics is that they are sooooooo sloooooooooooow. I can have manuals down and be doing something else by the time the electrics are halfway down.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 12:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had two trailers with manual cranks, and now a 5th with electric. Mine have worked flawlessly for two years but I have two issues with them. First, they both come down together, meaning I have to add boards under the high one on uneven ground. Two, they are extremely slow. They were on our trailer at purchase, but knowing this now I would have been just as happy cranking down each corner manually as far as needed. Just my take on them.

Daryll

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
Prodigy BC Reese 16K slider
2009 Colorado 29BHS
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Cedar Creek has the Level Up system. We would never be without it again. No chance of bending the frame and level in about 10 seconds.

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my rear electric stablizers...much better than using the electric drill. Just press a button...no problems going into year 4.

2008 GMC Sierra C/C 2500HD D/A - w/Titan 52Gal tank
Upgraded Pro Comp 8" wide wheels; LT265s
Ride Rite Airbags, Trail Air Pin Box, Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT,
Blue Ox Bed Saver, TST Tire Monitor, Yamaha EF2000is,
2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL w/ XPS RIBS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rear jacks..would like electric and need advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels