|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing a Trail Lite with a Mini Van - updated UVW

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
3LittleDucks

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

3LittleDucks wrote:

PS. I found another thread here that gave the weights as UWV 3345, Hitch Weight 389 for the R-Vision Trail Cruiser 21RBH

it would help knowing the year, but that's going to be too much for your minivan's 3500 tow capacity.
it's already at 3345lbs. before battery, propane and water.
so, unless you don't carry any cargo, it'll be over the max.
and i think the hitch capacity is only 350lbs. for the Sienna.

also, R-Vision made a hybrid 21RBH and a regular TT 21RBH, which is it?

Hey bikendan, it's a 2008.

2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

MrUKToad

Chatham, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3LittleDucks,

I had my 2011 Toyota Sienna set up to tow a heavier trailer than yours by Can Am RV in London, Ontario. (http://www.canamrv.ca/). My neighbour tows a Trail Lite with a Ford Windstar minivan, also set up by Can Am. Both our set ups involve modifications to the hitch receiver and transmission oil cooler, amongst other things, so it's not just a case of dropping the trailer onto the back of the Sienna.

I know that we're not talking like for like here but I'd suggest that you call Andy Thompson at Can Am as he's always very happy to pass on his advice and you can guarantee that he'll have been asked to set up other customers with similar tow vehicles and trailers; and believe me, if it won't work, he'll tell you.

For what it's worth, and I know that others on the forum will strongly disagree, but the quoted tow rating for minivans means very little; they've remained unchanged at 3,500lbs for 30 years now, despite the vans themselves having improved immeasurably over that period. The GWVR, GAVR and payload figures are more important. The proof of successful set ups is in the thousands of satisfied customers who have used Can Am's services over the years.

Good luck!

You can't tow that with that!

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrUKToad wrote:

The proof of successful set ups is in the thousands of satisfied customers who have used Can Am's services over the years.

Good luck!

lots of cults have thousands of satisfied members!

i have yet to hear that Can-Am will stand behind customers if something happens to a tow vehicle that has exceeded its manufacturer's towing specs and they modified it and that customer gets sued.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

3LittleDucks

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info, I'm quite sure we did make changes to the transmission cooling system when we added the hitch for the tent trailer, but will have to verify.

I was wrong about the weight, the UVW on the sticker is 2898 (250lbs less if empty water tanks).

It has been towed with a Chevy Equinox until now.

Took it for a test drive, seems quite comfortable. Does not sag at all (does a touch with the PUP), I assume it's due to double axles/better weight distribution?

* This post was last edited 04/06/12 02:18pm by 3LittleDucks *   View edit history

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgive me, I am totally new to this stuff. We had a Dodge Minivan when we started looking at RVs (started looking at popups first). We ended up trading it for a Honda Pilot that had more towing capacity.
Does the tow vehicles capacity also need to take into account the weight of the vehicle occupants & any other gear in the tow vehicle (luggage, etc)?
This was our understanding and it made us too nervous to be so close. This was just our thought process, I don't know if it would work or not, really. Just throwing this out to ya.

MrUKToad

Chatham, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

MrUKToad wrote:

The proof of successful set ups is in the thousands of satisfied customers who have used Can Am's services over the years.

Good luck!

i have yet to hear that Can-Am will stand behind customers if something happens to a tow vehicle that has exceeded its manufacturer's towing specs and they modified it and that customer gets sued.

Well, after forty years in the business, there's still no line of lawyers making for Can Am, most likely because the Thompson brothers know what they're doing.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3LittleDucks wrote:

Thanks for the info, this is a private sale, so no pushy salesperson giving false info. The trailer is a Trail Cruiser Lite 21RBH, the previous owner towed it with a minivan, packed very light didn't tow water (although if the tanks are in the back it might help the tongue weight to have it full). We really like towing the tent trailer, the low height is great for (lack of) wind resistance, but there are advantages to hard sided, the washroom and shorter set up time are very appealing.

I have almost exactly this same trailer, and tow with my Sienna. I have the Trail Sport version, which had somewhat fewer features than the Trail Cruiser and a lower UVW (about 100-150 lbs less) and I removed the AC and microwave to make it lighter (and because I don't use them).

With those changes and my lightweight family (I'm the heaviest member of the family, at 150 lbs) I have about 450 lbs of cargo capacity before hitting the Sienna's 3500 lb limit. (Yes, I've weighed the combo and individual components, loaded, hitched, including the family. Toyota also provides a generous standard cargo capacity on the minivan itself, not the usual 150 lbs that many other vehicles use. I also have a base model of the Sienna, which provides some additional capacity.)

Being tent-campers, PUP-campers, hikers, and backpackers, we naturally pack light, and never carry water and only minimal food. When I've weighed the combo (a couple times now) we've been about 100-200 lbs below the limit, depending on whether we bring the kids' bikes along or not.

There's a lot to consider. To stay under the weight rating of the Sienna, you would almost certainly have to modify the trailer so that it weighs less. You would also then have to pack very light.

It can be done, the question is whether or not you're up to dealing with the packing and other limitations.

FYI, in terms of towing, I previously towed a 2500 lbs PUP and actually find the TT far more pleasant towing. I towed the PUP without WD or sway control, and have an Equalizer on the TT.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4monkeys wrote:

Does the tow vehicles capacity also need to take into account the weight of the vehicle occupants & any other gear in the tow vehicle (luggage, etc)?

with nearly all vehicles, yes. but some brands, like Honda and Toyota may not do it that way.
you need to check the owner's manual in the towing section.

but, usually anything in the tow vehicle, other than the standard 150lb.
driver, will decrease the tow vehicle's tow capacity by its weight.
so, say Mom weighs 150lbs. and Dad and the kids weigh 400lbs. and there's 100lbs. of cargo in the vehicle.
then the 3500lbs. tow capacity of most minivans, would be reduced to 3000lbs.

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan, that's how we understood it. That's a big reason why we decided not to try to tow anything w/ the van; too close especially when that taken into account. 3littleducks, I don't know if that's something you've considered yet or not, or if you need to; just thought I'd mention it.

MrUKToad

Chatham, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4monkeys wrote:

This was our understanding and it made us too nervous to be so close. This was just our thought process, I don't know if it would work or not, really. Just throwing this out to ya.

The Gross Vehicle Weight (GWVR), which is posted on a sticker on the driver's door post, specifies the total maximum weight of the vehicle including anything you load into it. If you're towing, then it has to include the tongue weight of the trailer; a 500lb tongue weight will mean that you loose 500lbs from your TV's payload.

The manufacturer's tow rating, particularly on minivans, has no bearing at all on weights and loads because it's just an arbitrary figure set by marketing departments to sell vehicles.

If you want to tow using a "smaller" vehicle then I'd ALWAYS suggest that you seek professional advice from a towing expert before attempting anything.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing a Trail Lite with a Mini Van - updated UVW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS