RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Roadtrek Adventurous Questions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek Adventurous Questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Roadtreking Mike

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drove our new Roadtrek (a 2006) down to Florida, where I am now on a family vacation. You can read of the first trip adventures and review on my blog roadtreking.com
Meanwhile, two questions:
Can someone recommend a replacement radio? The one that comes in the RT is terrible. And it doesn't work with my iPad for audiobooks.
Question two: How do you set up the seats (behind the driver) in the front as singles beds?

---------------
Mike Wendland
See my blog: See my Roadtreking blog

topless

Wichita, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sprinter radios are amazingly bad. A 1960's transistor radio is comparable in sound quality. You can replace them with any standard radio. You will also want new speakers.
You will want to join http://sprinter-source.com
There you can find more information about your van than anywhere else. Look in the T1N section and you'll find step by step instructions on changing out the radio and speakers.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you can download the Roadtrek owner's manual for your model from RT's website. That should have the answer to your seat-to-bed question, and a bunch of future ones. I know their manual for my '00 D190V & '02 C190P were pretty thorough.

Jim, "Senate office hours are from 12 to 1, with a hour off for lunch."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The newer model V6 diesel Sprinter radios are better but not great. One significant improvement is not the radio but a much quieter cab. I'm not sure if that could be overcome with the I5 diesel cabs.

Others I've read have upgraded the speakers to gain the most improvement. There are add-ons that can be bought that plug into the back of the radio to add an auxiliary jack for the iPod/iPhone, but might require some dashboard modification. However, I suspect replacing the radio with a better one that includes a jack would be the better route. I never got around to doing any of that.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

Roadtreking Mike

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any ideas on who can replace the radio so it looks like it belongs?

McK

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have this Sony unit installed in my 2006 Sprinter, my 1995 Chevy 1 ton truck and my 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider:

Sony - 52W x 4 Satellite Radio-Ready In-Dash CD Deck

Installation was done by Best Buy in each case.

I am very satisfied with the units. The Bluetooth capability allows me to use my IPAQ hand held computer as the music source without needing an MP3 cable. I can also link my cell phone to the radio via Bluetooth to permit hand free answering.

I also had the speakers replaced in the Sprinter.

Robert
2006 Sportsmobile Sprinter

topless

Wichita, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed the radio myself. The trickiest part is getting the Becker out. They sell special tools for removing MB radios, but I looked on e-bay and made my own out of some brass that I bought at a hobby store. Since I only planned on using them once, spending $2 and 15 min was better than $50 for the kit. You also need a wiring kit and that is available from any audio store. Once you have the stock radio out, that curved faceplate goes with it and what is left behind is a normal rectangle opening. I bought a Sony with an axillary front input so I could plug in any source I wanted. Before I installed the radio I installed the new 4" speakers to see if that would help. It didn't, the Becker unit is just a lousy piece of audio equipment. I used a wiring kit for VW and had to switch 2 wires for powering the memory and antenna. If you use the Sprinter Source forum, you'll see those solutions.
Any decent audio outlet can install the replacement radio, there's nothing that trick about it. I just don't like other people messing with my stuff.

Roadtreking Mike

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I envy you guys that have the skills to DIY. I know my limitations, though and am going to go viist the Best Buy here in Destin FL this morning to see if their Geek Squad can install a new radio for me before we head no e this Sunday.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's like the older European radios (80's-90's Blaupunkts) used in VW's and Porsches, the 'special tool' can be easily made if you've got a plastic-coated wire coathanger.

Just cut a piece about 6-7" long, and bend it into a 'U' shape. The two straight legs need to be spaced far enough apart to fit the pair of holes that are on each side of the radio. You can either make two of them, or using just one, jiggle one side a little way out and then use it on the other side.

I've probably still got one in my tool chest from the string of VW's and Porkers I owned, spanning from 1983 to 2010.

Jim, "The next time you feel like complaining, remember that your garbage disposal probably eats better than 30% of the world's population."

* This post was edited 04/03/12 09:05am by Handbasket *

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was able to remove my Becker Sound 5 radio without any special tools. A good set of manicured fingernails did it for me.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek Adventurous Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS