RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: The New/Next Generation Nissan Titan

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > The New/Next Generation Nissan Titan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
skyhammer

NW CA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/03/12 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

For Toyota to capture any meaningful percent of the 3/4-ton, one-ton and above market, they would have to bring a very reputable, well known and trusted diesel engine name and model with them. Dodge already has that apple secured with the Cummins, so that's out. International/Navistar has already had their name ruined with Ford. Caterpillar is completely out of the on-highway engine business. John Deer and Perkins are not in the on-highway engine business either. Neither are Kubota or Deutz. That leaves Mercedes/Detroit Diesel as the only choice for Toyota to grab onto and claim success with.


Toyota has this engine available, it is labeled as a Toyota/Yanmar/BMW.
Model 8LV,4.43L, twin turbo, 800lbs torque@2200RPM, 370HP@3800 RPM.
Weighs 980lbs.
This engine is currently only available in the U.S. for jet boats.
This engine or something similar should work in a truck.



2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/03/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/03/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nissan makes a truck??? When did this happen???

OK kidding, but IMHO Nissan has done a terrible job with the Titan. I'd have a better chance finding a unicorn wandering the local forest than a Titan on the roads. It seems to me that Nissan put the Titan out so they could say they have a full size offering but they never really were/are about trucks. Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota are invested in their trucks. I see lots of commercials, I see lots of marketing in the local paper and on websites to sell trucks, I drive by any of their lots and generally see several trucks up front, large and in charge ready to be bought. Go to a Nissan lot and the one Titan they have is treated like the red-headed step child, tucked away in the back corner behind row after row of Maximas, Altimas, Quests, etc... Sorry, but Nissan needs to convince the consumer they are REALLY in the truck game and comitted to it.

Toyota on the otherhand I feel when they jumped into the truck market with the Tundra, made a genuine effort to be there. And over the years have refined it into one hell'uva nice 1/2 ton, worthy to stand toe to toe with any of the Detroit offerings.


2011 KZ Spree 220KS
2006 Ford Expedition Ltd. 5.4 L/3.73

rob85546

Hot arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 03/14/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/03/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disagree. I had a loaded 4 by titan. 2006.. was a GREAT truck for what it was. light duty truck that rode like a car.. got about 17-18 mpg on HWY!!!

Gman22 wrote:

Nissan makes a truck??? When did this happen???

OK kidding, but IMHO Nissan has done a terrible job with the Titan. I'd have a better chance finding a unicorn wandering the local forest than a Titan on the roads. It seems to me that Nissan put the Titan out so they could say they have a full size offering but they never really were/are about trucks. Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota are invested in their trucks. I see lots of commercials, I see lots of marketing in the local paper and on websites to sell trucks, I drive by any of their lots and generally see several trucks up front, large and in charge ready to be bought. Go to a Nissan lot and the one Titan they have is treated like the red-headed step child, tucked away in the back corner behind row after row of Maximas, Altimas, Quests, etc... Sorry, but Nissan needs to convince the consumer they are REALLY in the truck game and comitted to it.

Toyota on the otherhand I feel when they jumped into the truck market with the Tundra, made a genuine effort to be there. And over the years have refined it into one hell'uva nice 1/2 ton, worthy to stand toe to toe with any of the Detroit offerings.


1jeep

acushnet ma.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/04/12 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

If Toyota made a 3/4 ton Tundra, and it was as far above the domestics as the Tundra was when it was introduced, it would sure be something!


Really...i typically agree with you, BUT my experience with the 07 tundra i had parked at my local dealer weekly was less than stellar! Seriously i am certain i had the only bad one, just like i have had the only good ford diesel! I do believe toyota makes a great smaller truck, but what i had needed to go back to the drawing board!
It actually made the prior 15 years of dodges look good!


2011 F250 CC LB, 6.7 urine injection
2007 keystone Outback Sydney 32BHDS
2009 HD Ultra CVO
2013 CanAm Outlander 1000
1963 Wife..no mods

ib516

Up here!

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/04/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1jeep wrote:

ib516 wrote:

If Toyota made a 3/4 ton Tundra, and it was as far above the domestics as the Tundra was when it was introduced, it would sure be something!


Really...i typically agree with you, BUT my experience with the 07 tundra i had parked at my local dealer weekly was less than stellar! Seriously i am certain i had the only bad one, just like i have had the only good ford diesel! I do believe toyota makes a great smaller truck, but what i had needed to go back to the drawing board!
It actually made the prior 15 years of dodges look good!

I can't speak to the quality of them, but I was getting at the 6 speed auto, high hp engine, high tow rating, etc. They were the class of the field in 2007 for that kind of "looks good on paper" stuff. I understand they perform pretty well too - at least they were winning comparison tests at the time, but that WAS 5 years ago I guess, and certainly, the "big 3" have caught up (and surpassed) the Tundra now.


2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad, 4x4, 360 gas, 4.10, auto - SOLD
2002 Dodge 2500 Quad, 4x4, 5.9L CTD, 3.55, auto - SOLD
2007 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega, 4x4, 5.9L CTD, 3.73, auto - SOLD
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, 66RFE auto
- on order


1jeep

acushnet ma.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/04/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, i had the 5.7 and it had plenty of power and towed my trailer well. Unfortuantly, i having an 07 had one of the first ones with all its issues, i will admit toyota always had a loaner car for me and never reufsed to fix anything until it got to the 3rd tailgate replacement. The the rep showed up and tried to tell me i had to remove the gate for loading, he began to demonstrate how and comuldnt with the camera wire harness. It was quite the show and even my wife was laughing at him. In the 2 years i had that truck i had many things replaced.
I dont doubt that they are better, my experience wasnt good, it having been my first toyota, it was also my last one.

Hammerhead

Moon Base 5

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/04/12 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Models sold overseas like the Land Rover in the U.K. come with a 4.5 liter diesel engine.


SoCalDesertRider wrote:

For Toyota to capture any meaningful percent of the 3/4-ton, one-ton and above market, they would have to bring a very reputable, well known and trusted diesel engine name and model with them. Dodge already has that apple secured with the Cummins, so that's out. International/Navistar has already had their name ruined with Ford. Caterpillar is completely out of the on-highway engine business. John Deer and Perkins are not in the on-highway engine business either. Neither are Kubota or Deutz. That leaves Mercedes/Detroit Diesel as the only choice for Toyota to grab onto and claim success with.


padave

Richland PA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/05/12 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gman22 wrote:

Nissan makes a truck??? When did this happen???

OK kidding, but IMHO Nissan has done a terrible job with the Titan. I'd have a better chance finding a unicorn wandering the local forest than a Titan on the roads. It seems to me that Nissan put the Titan out so they could say they have a full size offering but they never really were/are about trucks. Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota are invested in their trucks. I see lots of commercials, I see lots of marketing in the local paper and on websites to sell trucks, I drive by any of their lots and generally see several trucks up front, large and in charge ready to be bought. Go to a Nissan lot and the one Titan they have is treated like the red-headed step child, tucked away in the back corner behind row after row of Maximas, Altimas, Quests, etc... Sorry, but Nissan needs to convince the consumer they are REALLY in the truck game and comitted to it.


Toyota on the otherhand I feel when they jumped into the truck market with the Tundra, made a genuine effort to be there. And over the years have refined it into one hell'uva nice 1/2 ton, worthy to stand toe to toe with any of the Detroit offerings.




I do agree that Nissan has done a terrible job promoting the Titan over the years. I have a 2008.5 Titan and for the money, you will not find a better equipped, more capable half ton. It came with the Big Tow, Tow Haul Mode, real tow mirrors, heated leather seats,payload of 1920 pounds (much better than your dodge) sprayed bedliner, rockford fosgate 6 disc stereo, blue tooth, integrated garage door opener....At the time, the truck was innovative, now, they have done nothing to upgrade and most have caught up and passed them. I will tell you this...there are dyno numbers and real world numbers. The 5.6 mated to the 5 speed does a nice job of transferring power to pavement. It has a sweet 3rd gear that transfers the 385ftlbs of torque to the wheels nicely. I tow an 8400 pound, 35 foot trailer and get 9.3 mpg. Handles the load nicely...the only thing I don't like was the 13.2 mpg's unloaded but switched to full synthetic and now have been getting 15.4...warmer temps have helped as well.


wife and 2 daughters
2012 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 318bhs
Equalizer
former:
Nissan Titan
Rockwood Roo 233
Coleman Westlake

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/03/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/05/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

padave wrote:

It came with the Big Tow, Tow Haul Mode, real tow mirrors, heated leather seats,payload of 1920 pounds (much better than your dodge)


You're sure about that? You're saying you have much better payload than my 3/4 ton?

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/03/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/05/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rob85546 wrote:

I disagree. I had a loaded 4 by titan. 2006.. was a GREAT truck for what it was. light duty truck that rode like a car.. got about 17-18 mpg on HWY!!!


I think you should read my post again, I'm not saying it's a bad truck, I'm saying Nissan has done a p@ss poor job of marketing it which is why the sales numbers are so bad and you see so few on the road. I won't argue the quality of the truck, do you want to argue the stellar sales numbers of the Titan .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > The New/Next Generation Nissan Titan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS