RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Insurance question.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Insurance question.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here is the scenario. I have full coverage insurance with Safeco on my tow vehicle (comp, collision, Liability) and I have full coverage on my 5th wheel with Progressive(comp, collision).

So a few days while backing my 5th wheel into its storage spot I rubbed up against another 5th wheel that was parked next to me. A bonehead move on my part but I know that. The damage to my rig is non existant but his suffered a scuffed awning and probably a bent awning roller tube. I called in a claim with my trailer insurance (Progressive) and they say that this incident should be covered under my tow vehicles insurance because it was being towed at the time. I call Safeco who is my truck insurer and they say that they feel that it should be covered by Progressive. I have still not gotten any explanations from either company yet as to why they feel that the other should cover it but in the mean time I would love your guys thoughts on this. My head is swimming right now and I would love to hear what your thoughts are on this. Who should be responsible....... The truck or the trailer insurer? In the future I will make sure that the same insurance company covers both.

* This post was edited 04/02/12 04:49pm by garysol *

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW, Pullrite Superglide 18k.
2012 Komfort 3530fbh 5th wheel with Ground Control

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote truck insurance as you, being the driver, were at fault. Your 5th wheel was under the control of the truck driver. (This is my opinion only and probably not worth much)

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

Supreme Oppressor

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With Progressive you only list comp & collision. Neither pays for damage to others or their vehicles. That's what liability is for.

Up here, my auto insurance covers everything while moving (attached to truck) and house insurance covers everything while parked.

I'd say dig out your documentation and read the fine print.

2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supreme Oppressor wrote:

With Progressive you only list comp & collision. Neither pays for damage to others or their vehicles. That's what liability is for.

Up here, my auto insurance covers everything while moving (attached to truck) and house insurance covers everything while parked.

I'd say dig out your documentation and read the fine print.

I just went back and looked at the Progressive RV policy and I have everything that they offer. They do not offer a liability from what I can see. Maybe that is because they are assuming that the liability will fall back onto the tow vehicles insurance. I cant find my Safeco policy and they do not have it online that I can find.

mbrule

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In the future I will make sure that the same insurance company covers both"

Probably the best solution.

It is my understanding that the liability coverage (what you need) is on the tow vehicle. I have 4 registered trailers (only one camper), the camper is the only one with any insurance at all and that is comp and collision.

Liability is on the towing vehicle. I am almost positive.

That said, have you considered the out of pocket cost to avoid the insurance company and possible rate hike? Sounds like minimal damage?????

garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbrule wrote:

That said, have you considered the out of pocket cost to avoid the insurance company and possible rate hike? Sounds like minimal damage?????

It is a power awning on a brand new never camped in 2011 rig. I am figuring $1,500 minimum but thats just a guess. I have never made a claim and figure that with everything I have paid in its time to let the insurance company earn there keep.

Mike and Pat

Virginia Beach, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The liability coverage on your truck would cover it. The 5th wheel is not a motorized unit thus does not require liability. The liabilty from your truck policy would transfer to any unit being towed by the truck.

Mike and Pat
"Full Timing. But still working. At least for awhile.
Mike (Driver) and Pat (Navigator)
2004 Itasca Meridian 39K 330 cat
2009 Saturn Outlook toad
SMI Stay in Play Duo
Socrates,Kiira and Tiberius (Tonkinese Cats)
Maximus (Mini schnauzer)

Jim Cindy

Northcentral, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Erie on my truck and Progressive on my fifth wheel. On my first trip and close to home, I clipped a car pulling into a fuel stop. She pulled away from the pumps and then stoped to make a cell call, my fault, I assumed she kept going to the stop sign and didn't look close enough. My truck insurance paid for her damage and Progressive fixed my fifth wheel.
I think your truck insurance is responsible for the damage.

PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck insurance is in play when hooked to the truck, at least in Florida anyway. I have no idea what the law is in Ohio. I ALWAYS use the same carrier for both to avoid these kind of issues.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned comp and collision coverages do not cover the other persons losses. That is covered under liability insurance.

That is why the mandatory insurance laws in most states only require liability insurance.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Insurance question.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS