RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Will I be able to tow this??????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Will I be able to tow this??????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
BigMcD6

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the process of buying our first TT ever. we have decided on a used 2004 Jayco Eagle 29BHS.

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado ½ ton, standard V8. I am putting a weight distribution hitch and adding a break control. My truck specs say that it will tow 6700 lbs. the Jayco specs are below. I am a little nervous about not knowing for sure that it will be able to handle it. What do you guys think?

Jayco 29BHS
UVW = 5,475#
GVWR = 7,700#
Hitch Weight = 715#
Trailer Length = 30'6

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'd be right up against the wall and by some respects over wt. Question is if you did do this, could you be happy with the towing performance? It'd be slow going especially on the hills, up and down.

Just arbitrairly throw 1300 pounds on the TT and that puts you a bit over what your truck is rated to tow. That's not taking into account the weight of passengers and snacks in the truck, you know.., that single bag of potato chips and that soda. It's gonna be very tight, you'll probably be over the rated spec's.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but with MY experience I'd do it. You know your driving ability better than anyone whether it'd be a good idea if YOU should do it. I'll just say if this is your first time towing use a whole lot of caution or reconsider the size of TT you are look'n at.

* This post was edited 04/02/12 08:50pm by E&J push'n wind *

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitch weight will be 1000# for that rig. Is your Chevy spec'd ok with that? I would think so, but it is worth checking IMHO.

Be sure your WDH bars are rated for 1000#.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will wish for more motor at some point.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By "standard V8" I have to assume you have the 4.something and not the 5.3. With a trailer with a 7700 GVWR you are going to be right up against the tow rating just driving it home Adding food, clothes etc is probably going to push you over your limits. I would instead be looking for ether a smaller lighter trailer or a tent trailer. Remember everything you load into the truck above the base stripped vehicle will reduce your towing capacity.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That TT is going to be too heavy for you. You need to look at more than towing capacity. You need to look at tongue weight and payload. Using an unloaded weight is of no help to you and an unloaded it dry tongue weight is of no help either. You are safer shopping by gvwr of the TT. You should figure on a max of 15% of TT gvwr for tongue weight. As to payload, look at your door sticker and see what your starting payload is. From this number you need to subtract the weight of all occupants, gear and a full tank of fuel. This will be your available payload. Your tongue weight will also come off your payload. Another way to figure out payload is to go weigh your tv fully loaded w/ occupants and any gear you would put in it while towing as well as a full tank of fuel. Subtract this number from the tv's gvwr to get your payload.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

romore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not enough truck, you will regret it. We tried towing our new to us 18 1/2' fiver with a 4.0 liter Ranger. According to Ford specs it should have handled the load but two trips proved otherwise.

Greg Bunting

Port St. Lucie, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your tongue weight will be about 900+lbs when towing, not what is listed.
Other than that, so much depends on your truck that I can't advise accurately, but IF you have the 4.8L, 4L80E auto(might be 4L60E), 3.23 rear end and HD suspension option, you may be just OK if you stay in Florida or close where it is flat and drive very conservatively, keeping a close eye on the temps for the engine and the transmission.

So much I don't know about your truck, but reading my '05 Silverado book, my advice is to get a 2500HD. Likely an even trade due to poorer fuel economy w/ 6.0L - but they are out there.

Greg

BigMcD6

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have the 5.3....... Not the 4.
I was hoping that would make the difference.

Thanks for the info everyone.

ournewrv

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will be fine. What kind of travel do you plan on doing? Short trips? Cross country?

If you will mostly take short trips go for it.

We tow a 22 foot shadow cruiser with our 2010 for flex and it is a great combination that handles great. Although many on this site would say we should not use this towing combination.

ournewrv.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Will I be able to tow this??????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS