|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C buildup w/modification

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next
Sponsored By:
Boujei

Where I am now

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok...been hanging about checking all the current buildups and now am pretty much ready to tackle my project with the help of my friend (now that the snow has subsided and I was able to pull her out of the back yard). My plan is to have an overhead cabin similar to the original sans front window. I'll have two small port windows (same as will be on my boat) on the port and starboard side of the cabin and the living quarters will extend back 8'. I know this is small, but I don't plan on "living" in it for extended periods. The remaining 6' will be diamond plate flatbed for hauling atv's etc. My thoughts are that the bed will be 8' wide by 6' long which should be ample for anything I plan to haul. I'll build aluminum boxes to hang under the sides of the bed and will store equipment in these. I'm open to suggestions and ideas. I'm including some pics, so when you stop gagging and wipe the tears of laughter from your eyes...please give some input! Thanks!

Steve

Check out my boat building site!

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not going to laugh at all. If I didn't need to work (and had the funds) I would probably make my own too.

All I can say is plan, plan, plan. Your biggest problem IMO will be weight creep. Don't overbuild it. Folks I know that have build large things like this are astounded as to how heavy they ended up.

BTW, while you can get to the fuel tank easily it might be worth checking on its health and maybe cleaning it out.

The up side is you can install just what you need and not the stuff you don't. If you don't want an oven you don't have to install one.

Have fun.

BTW there are RV surplus/salvage places out there where you can get parts for really cheap. Some stuff is new, just not current issue. Manufacturers sell off their surplus (very cheaply) to these folks that re-sell them.

You might list the amenities that you are planning to install and folks can offer up ideas. There is a lot of creativity out there from people that cannot leave good enough alone and start modifying their RVs.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

duplicate post

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How's your welding skills? I would make the floor from 2x3 square tubing and the walls and roof from 1x2 or 1x1 square tubing.

Coalminer UG

Nakusp BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Luck.

Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

Boujei

Where I am now

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have all the equipment that was in her prior to disassembly. Stove, Fridge, Furnace, Water heater, AC. My thoughts are going with a very small dinette table, shower, commode, window AC unit, smaller fridge, one sink. Debating on just utilizing a two burner camp stove in lieu of the full size range/oven.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a very interesting project. You might want to look at the Provan Tiger's floorplan to see what can be crammed into a shorter-length RV. Follow the link in my sig.

Jim, "How many lawyers does it take to shingle a roof? Just one, if you slice him thin enough."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Plan on a solar system and six two volt batteries. Add a pure sine wave inverter, that can be used as a "generator assist" (Magnum is about to release a 2800 watt unit that would be about perfect).

Use a small "bar" fridge. Consider an "all electric" kitchen with induction cook top. A convection oven/microwave installed over the cook top would be my choice.

For heating I'd plan on using a platinum cat.

Find a floor plan that works for you--and use components intended for a class B RV to save on space.

Use marine grade plywood and silver foil closed cell foam insulation.

Use LED lighting throughout.

I would not integrate a generator and would prefer to use a small portable generator.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

Boujei

Where I am now

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Pianotuna! I too was leaning towards all electric. I know they're a little on the loud side but Champion has a decent generator (after reading reviews and knowing some folks with them). Most of the time I'll be able to connect a shore line, but with solar panels and a generator I'd be set too. I'm trying to keep the cost down substantially. Just need to have it be functional and cozy for a few days at a time.

Boujei

Where I am now

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

How's your welding skills? I would make the floor from 2x3 square tubing and the walls and roof from 1x2 or 1x1 square tubing.

Better than average..just picked up a Millermatic 212 last summer and haven't gotten a chance to play with it too much. You don't think I'd accumulate too much weight going with the tubing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C buildup w/modification
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS