|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New 32" for the old 27" TV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
chaffeekid

Chaffee, Mo, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got tired of hauling that old 80LB tv in my 2001 Expedition. Got a good deal on the Samsung 32" at 297.00. So it was time for the project.
The old tv hung down from the overhead and made a really good head knocker.

I didn't photo all the take down of the old tv, but it is really simple. If you look inside the face frame, you will see some brackets where it is screwed into the box, remove those screws. When you have removed the surround, there is a brace at the top of the tv again held in by a couple of screws, remove those.

Next you will see a couple of small braces at the left and right side of the tv at the bottom. There was a hidden screw on each of these on my tv. You can locate those by using a phillips head/cross head screw driver and feeling around. Might be able to locate them with your fingers also. Remove those screws. Then remove the little blocks the screws are holding.

Ok, now check in the right equipment bay where the tv is plugged into a special plug that prevents it from being on when underway, unplug that and work the plug back into the hole from the tv cabinet.

When you remove the tv remember a couple of things, it is very HEAVY, weighs about 80 LBS and it will still have the cable screwed to the back. Make sure you have a pair of pliers or a small cresent wrench to remove the cable. If yhou have two people the job will be much easier.

Once you have removed the TV you can see how the cabinet is attached to the overhead cabinet area. Mine had two wood screws at the top on each side and two on the bottom each side. Once these are removed the box can be removed. It is covered with ultra leather or whatever they call this stuff on each side bottom and back.

I wanted to keep the same angle and projection from the top of the cabinet so I decided to cut the bottom of each side to 16 3/4 inches. This made mine even with the bottom of the rest of the cabinet area.

If you do this you will have to make a new bottom. I used 1/2 inch plywood for the new bottom and then replaced the angle braces which were in the old box for reinforcement. I reused the foam rubber padding and the covering, took a lot of stretching and pulling to make it work but I did. I should have cut the bottom just a little under 27" to allow for the padding and the covering, so you can see from the pictures that it wrinkled a little from being a little tight.
Check your measurements. I also put a brace across the top of the box, a 2 X 2. Lastly, I used 3/4" plywood recessed back 2 1/4 " from the front edge, screwed and glued to the inside of the box. I also used cleats behind the plywood face, and the plywood was screwed to those, and along the 2x2 across the top.

I used a 2 1/2" hole saw and cut an access hole where the connections to the tv would be. I enlarged that slightly with a saber saw so I could get my hand behind it. I used a mount that I bought at wally world it is a Sanus and has the 200 x 200 MM mount arms that my Samsung required. I mounted that to the tv and then placed chalk around the mounting hole. Held the tv at the spot where I wanted it, moved the unit around a little and the chalk left a mark where the mount top hole should be drilled.

I drilled the hole for a 1/4" bolt and installed the mount with the two 1/4" bolts and nuts and lock washers. Oh yes, I made sure that both side cabinets were still accessible when the tv is mounted. Put the Tv on the mount and pushed the little tab and locked it down.

Now it looks like this.

Happy Trails
Jim

MGySgt USMC(R) 61-91
N0LZS
Wife, has put up with me for 50 years
Three hyper chihuahua's
Good Sam a pound rescue, Sassy and Bambi
2001 Fleetwood Expedition Diesel Pusher
Toad 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra hardtop

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finished product looks good. Clean and sanitary.

I just replaced both of our CRT televisions with LCD about a month ago. 26" front to a 32" and a 20" in the bedroom to a 26".

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the same with my coach.

Before:

After:

My question is why does every retro fit I've seen looks 100% better to what manufactures are putting together?

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced both our LCD's (19"-26" & 40"-46") with LED's. Can't believe we get such a great picture in such a thin lightweight TV.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

G7ARYM

Somewhere on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the Seneca Super C side the wood cabinet surrounding the old 27" used in the entertainment center version of the overhead is just over 31" wide and 26" high. The 32" LCD with front speakers just happens to measure 31.5" wide and 23" high. A heavy plywood backing sized to fit the mounting holes on the back of the set and a couple of braces made a nice fit as if it were made for the space. Also the new set receives digital channels through the old crank up antenna with no other changes needed. I am happy. The old 80lb set is now ready for a garage sale.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new LED lit LCD TV's are so thin (less than 1.5") that it makes it possible to install them on the face of the cabnet. This let me go from a 32" Plasma (energy hog) to a 40" LED that sticks out 3/4" more than the Plasma and uses 1/10th the energy plus it has the ditital tuner I needed.

Had to do some rigging to install as I did not have the use of my shop to frabricate a metal mount as posted here.

* This post was edited 04/04/12 06:56am by Ivylog *

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 12:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's mine

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

cbeierl

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's mine:

Before:

After:

Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

vacuumbed

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 03:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just removed the 20" Sony CRT from my 96 Monaco Executive and I may just install a new LED TV since I don't know what to do with the ugly space.

Is the theory here to install the new TV with just outside of the opening?

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vacuumbed wrote:

I just removed the 20" Sony CRT from my 96 Monaco Executive and I may just install a new LED TV since I don't know what to do with the ugly space.

Is the theory here to install the new TV with just outside of the opening?

When I decided to update I wanted the biggest TV that would fit in the area available. There are storage cabinets on either side of the over dash TV area that I could not afford to lose. Also most new TV controls are located on the side rather than the front of the TV. Granted there isn't much you can do without the remote but I still wanted access just in case.

Took the measurements and went shopping. Found a display model 32" Vizio with all the bells and whistles on sale at the local Sam's Club for about 60% off and made the leap. The width allowed about 1/2 inch clearance side to side for the two cabinets and mounting outside of the original TV framing so I could reach the controls and additional inputs if I want to plug something in to view such as a camera, home DVR, Play Station,,,.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New 32" for the old 27" TV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS