RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Friends wanna go along....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Friends wanna go along....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PUCampin

Castaic

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been interesting reading these responses, and just goes to show everyone has different ideas of what makes their camping trip fun.

My inlaws bought a TT a couple years ago, it is designed essentially for 2 people. Big bathroom in the back, queen walkaround in front, kitchen and couch in the middle, and 22ft overall length. Enough room for 4 or 5 to visit or eat, but really best fit for 2 people. My FIL likes it that way, it keeps his other daughter's family of 6 from being interested in borrowing it or going along. SIL even commented "why did you buy this thing? It's too small and poorly designed for us to use!" He just smiled. We like going camping with them and take adjacent sites. The kids visit, but at bed time they go to sleep in our TT

We bought a TT with maximum people efficency. I wanted something that we could still get into a lot of places and would have enough beds for us and the now 3 kids. We sometimes take along DW's aunt making 6. I grew up as part of a family of 4 who traveled cross country in a VW camper bus. Then we moved to a 8ft TC. So my 22ft no slide TT seems big and spacious by my measure, even with 6 of us!

The best advise I can give is do what will make camping enjoyable for you. We own these RVs, take the time and money to load them up and drive them somewhere, to go out and have fun. Why have the RV or spend the money and time to do this if it makes you unhappy or uncomfortable? Don't we get enough of that during the week at work?

2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!)

Me DW and the 3 in 3
DD 2006, DS 2007, DD 2008

selectsplat

Chesterfield, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we first bought our 27' that sleeps 8, we almost always had another family staying with our family of 3.

After about a year of that, we decided we didn't enjoy it as much when we had other people staying in our trailer with us. It's just not as comfortable.

Now we also bring a 6 man tent, and can offer that. Luckily, we've talked alot of our friends into also buying trailers.

2011 Heartland Trail Runner 27FQBS
2010 Bayliner 175
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L iForce 4wd
2003 Chevy Trailblazer 4.3L 4wd
2006 EZGO PDS
Thousand Trails Memeber

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weasel4 wrote:

An Australian friend of mine has a favorite saying. "People are like fish, after 4 days they begin to stink"
BTC

Actually Ben Franklin said Fish and Visitors stink after three days in his Poor Richard's Almanack back in the 1700s which was probably a few years before your friend in Australia did.
http://www.lifesabirch.org/quotes/poorrich.php

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoy camping with other family and friends a lot. I just don't want them in my trailer after the fire goes out!

When we 'group camp', be it with family or friends, we try to get adjacent sites or at least in the same loop. If the family or friends are trying to save money or whatever, no better way to save than to start off in a tent! I'll share my camp site with a tent. No problem there! After lights out, the rest rooms are down the path too!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

subversive

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a long thread, so I haven't read the whole thing before posting, but I would never invite someone to go camping with us unless I was inviting them to stay in the trailer with us. I have a hard time imagining any friends we actually like inviting themselves. It's lots of fun to have people with you occasionally (not every weekend).

Mike & Melynda joined by rugrats Alexandra, Zoe, and Georgia
2010 Yukon XL 3/4 ton V8
2011 North Trail 32QBSS, Reese Dual Cam
Our trailer and camping pics

JN_B

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they're planning on staying in my trailer, they better be supplying me with beverages or meals for the weekend. The only exception would be DD or DS's friends. When they start to bring friends along, I will have no problem with them each bringing one friend.

2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

godfreyc

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's funny this comes up. Recently one of my daughters friends was like "Hey let's go the the beach. We'll get an RV site, you could bring your camper." While I don't really mind, if the teenage girls go my SO won't and the reason I bought the camper was for family time. Plus if my whole family goes then so do the dogs and they won't quit barking when "strangers" are in the house. I don't take people with me. My parents are planning a trip with us, but they have their own trailer and will be in the site next to us.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Friends wanna go along....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS