|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Refridgerator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
David Myles

Bovey MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How easy is it to remove the electric/propane fridge? The current one is shot. Want to just replace it with a electric.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnect the propane line and cap it. Unplug the electricity and take maybe 6 screws out and pull it out. Not hard. How do you know it is shot? Did you get an ammonia smell?

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Jackthewonderdog

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alot better if you have two people.

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There could be a problem depending on the size of your refrigerator and the size of your door opening. I don't know what kind of rig you have, but in my class A and some others I've heard of the refrigerator can not come out through the door. It is necessary to remove 1/2 of the windshield to take it out. Be sure to measure before you start the job. If it won't fit through the door, and you're sure that you don't want the fridge, you could always just cut the box up with a sawzall or similar tool after you take the cooling unit off the back.

Miles

* This post was edited 04/03/12 08:49pm by Son of Norway *

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

flip418

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are getting an ammonia smell then most likely your cooling unit is out and the fridge has to come out anyway. A cooling unit is darn near the same price as a new fridge but can be done. I replaced one about 2 trailers ago and wasn't too bad if you have some mechanical ability.

The Thomas's
2012 Keystone Cougar 328QBS
2004 Ford F-250 PSD
Firestone Air-Rites

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Wife and I did this when we were younger, just turned 70. Took the old one out and went to Lowes and picked up elect. Kind of hard picking it up over the dinenet. Had to cut out part of the cabinet etc. Looks great and works great

samsontdog

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will not be too hard.

I agree a 25 year old RV frig might be better replaced than trying to get it fixed. If you still do not have a working generator going all electric is a bit harder but is doable.

Frank&Renae

Madison, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a Cedar Creek Custom at a show recently that had a residential refrigerator in it. The frig runs off electric when hookups are available and off its own inverter and the batteries when not hooked up.
FWIW, the residential frig was a 16 cubic foot Whirlpool in place of the 12 cubic foot 4 door RV frig.

Frank now without Renae
KZ Montego Bay 37CKM
2007 Dodge 3500HD DDW

Three cats -- Sunkist, Topaz, & Amber
One dog -- Rascal
Started Full Timing since March 26, 2008

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Miles mentioned, one of the big issues is gettting the old one out and the new one in through the door. I had planned on getting a residential in our 98 PaceArrow but the residential would not fit through the door (from memory, I think our opening is only 23"). Taking the windshield out seemed like too big of a job (although in hindsight, I probably should have done it as our replacement cooling unit appears to be dying after less than 2 years).

David Myles

Bovey MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice! I never thought of how I would get it out after I had it out! Luckily I just took the mesurements and it should slide right out the door. I found a freezer/fridge at Lowes that will fit perfect. I am most worried about messing with the propane lines in this process.I can rip anything out I just want to do it correctly. As far as no generator we will probably be camping at places with hook ups for now. We are having are first child in May, hence ditching the tent for a RV. The tent was a bit easier to fix but so far this project has been fun. Got the leaks fixed first then figured out the vacuum lines and the engine purrs, now the fridge ect ect ect haha!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Refridgerator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS