|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck Brakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

I usually don't change them until I hear funny sounds, like wear indicators or rivots grinding, or if I feel the shaking of warped rotors.

Well if your waiting until the rivets are grinding you must have a lot of expendable income! Rotors for 2500/3500 trucks run anywhere from $120-190 for the fronts to $160-240 for the rears!

All newer ( starting in 1995?) have wear sensors that will screech when the brakes are not in use and stop screeching when the brakes are applied.

As others have said have your breaks checked when your tires are rotated, if you think they need changing have them checked.

Don

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

APT wrote:

I usually don't change them until I hear funny sounds, like wear indicators or rivots grinding, or if I feel the shaking of warped rotors.

Well if your waiting until the rivets are grinding you must have a lot of expendable income! Rotors for 2500/3500 trucks run anywhere from $120-190 for the fronts to $160-240 for the rears!

All newer ( starting in 1995?) have wear sensors that will screech when the brakes are not in use and stop screeching when the brakes are applied.

As others have said have your breaks checked when your tires are rotated, if you think they need changing have them checked.

Don

I haven't seen a truck in the last 15 years whose rotors had enough meat on them to be machined after a set of pads was worn out, so they end up getting replaced anyways. Of the last three sets I've done, the rotors came out of the box .010" thicker than the machine-to spec, so they aren't going to last more than a set of pads anyways.

campinginthewoods

Central ILL

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 04 F250 CC and just spent $700.00 for new pads and rotors on all four corners...My mechanic said the rotor were shot on all four....He tried to save them but it wasnt worth it...rotors were over $100 each. I only had 77000 on it. Never had a squeak or funny sound....but I just had a feeling it was time to check the brakes.....Good Luck

"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had my NAPA rotors (front) turned and they still have. 060-.107 on them. Should be able to get one more cut before they need replaceing. I would suggest going to NAPA next time and buying there high dollar brand not the cheapest ones you can find. Not being rude just brakes are not the place to be cutting corners IMO.

BTW this is my second set of pads on these rotors. I'm running ceramic pads front and rear.

Don

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no set mileage or age. If you think it is time, then change them.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

At what milage should I replace the brakes on my truck? Most of the miles have been towing my camper. They do not squeak or anything and still stop but I think it is time...

No way to answer that. You need to do a visual inspection and measure the material left. I've got over 50K on my Tundra brakes.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had my NAPA rotors (front) turned and they still have. 060-.107 on them. Should be able to get one more cut before they need replaceing. I would suggest going to NAPA next time and buying there high dollar brand not the cheapest ones you can find. Not being rude just brakes are not the place to be cutting corners IMO.

BTW this is my second set of pads on these rotors. I'm running ceramic pads front and rear.

Don

LOL Don
You either drive lots of miles, or ride your brakes, or need a exhaust brake
OEM on our last truck got over 125k, not sure how many miles the new owner has but he's still smiling every time I see him.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

125K on one set of brakes E: I'm on my thrid set @128K

Maybe I should look into a EB

DON

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don

Don, where did you find ceramic pads for your Ram? Had my front brakes (pads and rotors) done in 2009 and at the time, the tech checked ceramic pad manufacturers and said none listed pads for the Ram. They did put on the NAPA rotors and HD pads.Understand NAPA does now have their own brand of ceramic pads.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck Brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS