|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Choosing tow vehicle, Van or 3/4 truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is clean, no accidents, buy it!

Oh.. EPA emissions warranty is most likely still valid for a lot longer.

You may be able to get an extended warranty.

Check what qualifies the vehicle as a "home" and see if you can wrangle that.

TheOMB

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carfax shows an accident in Nov 2010 but vehicle continued as a rental till Dec 11, can't see anymore details on accident or any sign of it in photos. Can see the dash a bit scuffed up in photo's.

http://used.miamilakesautomall.com/used-Miami-2010-Chevrolet-Express+Passenger-LT-1GA2G1DG6A1135179

Already asked about extended warranty, that's a yes.

www.MarcDobson.com

- Current in Chevy Express LT 1500, 7 bad engine codes, leaks Not sure if I got my monies worth out of 200k miles I've drove so far.
- Moving to 1 Ton Van & BH trailer soon

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a framed vehicle, there can be considerable damage as long as there is no critical systems (engine, frame, etc.) damaged, and be repaired.

Sheet metal is infinitely repairable (nearly), because it is not a major structural component.

Now it comes down to an actual examination, and evaluation of the actual damage done and the quality of the repair job.

Now you know why it is discounted.

Use this trick.

Take every camera angle published.

Then when you see it, find every place the camera did not show --- that is where the flaws are.

Note --- no high back / head rest on pass seats....

TheOMB

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's up with all the email notifications of nothing on this thread? Site maintenance? This looks like a Drupal site to me.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you mean "email notifications of nothing?"

There were a few replies to this thread this morning. If you have email notifications set, they're legitimate.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

TheOMB

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got 11 email notifications of "New Post" between 12:02 and 12:10pm EST. Every time I clicked the link with in emails, it took me to a few different pages of this thread with no new posts.

I got all the legit notifications this morning, but then it went wacko

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TheOMB wrote:

I got all the legit notifications this morning, but then it went wacko

Did you post you are trying to buy a Sprinter?

rowekmr

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since it is just a few years old and out of warranty why don't they certify it? If you don't get a warranty and something breaks you will be in the scenario you mentioned you wanted to avoid (stranded) with repair liabilities. I would negotiate hard even lower than their price, besides us using them as TV's I don't see a strong market for used HD passenger vans (but I could be wrong) plus this has high mileage for the year (50K in 2 years) and no warranty. To their credit I was looking on autotrader.com and that one was the cheapest van in that year range though.

How about this one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-Chevy-Express-G3500-9-Passenger-Low-Top-Rocky-Ridge-Conversion-Van-/290694709470?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43aec140de

Its only got one day left and is at 5K so even though it isn't at reserve I doubt that it will get up to 14K yet it is still in bumper to bumper and the extended powertrain warranty. And it is located in FL (where many of the HD vans are) and at a dealership and its a conversion. Also the factory and aftermarket warranties are much cheaper to be bought when the vehicls is still under factory warranty. I have gotten real steals from sellers when they don't reach reserve, it's like a reality check to them on values and if they are motivated you can bargain afterwards and save some real $$$.

This one is also newer and has really low miles but hasn't reached reserve at 15K but it also is under warranty 3/36 bumper to bumper and the 100K powertrain warranty. It is more (call for buy it now price) but if you going to spend 2K-3K for an (decent) extended warranty on the one you just mentioned you better off spending that much more on the purchase price of the van and getting a newer one WITH a factory warranty plus this one is a conversion and also in FL.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-Chevy-Express-G3500-15-Passenger-Rocky-Ridge-Conversion-Van-/290694730504?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43aec19308

03 Ford Excursion Ltd 6.0L ARP studs/HG, 6.4L banjo bolts, blue spring mod, coolant filter, K&N CAI, turbo back exhaust, IDP tunes, SCT Livewire
00 Acura RL
08 Jayco 31 BHDS G2
96 Regal 258 Commodore

TheOMB

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought I'd update thread with the story...

I can't get into a van because of financing. Banks will not "auto loan" lend on 10 or more passenger vehicle, conversion van or other work or recreational style vehicle. I can get an "auto loan" on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. The only lending option I have for a van is a commercial loan. Based what every one around me says about availability of commercial loans, I'm not going to bother applying to get a van.

I'm going for a truck.

My current options guided by cost effectiveness and parameters of collateral for auto loans are limited down to these vehicles:

2005 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9 Diesel Quad Cab, 125k miles
2006 Silverado 1500HD 6.0 Gas Crew Cab, 115k miles
2003 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 111k miles

Deciding factors for me are passenger space (Crew is bigger than Quad) and bed length (Chevy wins with 6' 6" bed over Dodge 6' 3" bed) with over riding factor of price + finance cost making the final decision.

I'm playing out the 2003 Silverado 2500HD cause I can get it at true whole sale price from a whole sale auto guy, but not sure about financing because of it's year. If that does not work it's the 1500HD which is stickering for $14,800 or the Dodge for $16,000 BUT I know both will come down in price.

And that's that. I may get into one of these three vehicles this week OR I sit and wait for something else to pop up with in my buying limitations.

BTW... try talking to a lender and say "Hey I'm a one man band just like the guy from Mary Poppins except on steroids. Look at my credit, I own a house that's worth 1/2 of what I owe, pay all my bills on time but on paper look like I'm up to my ears in debt. I wanna borrow $15K for a truck which I'll put a pile of miles on in a short time and just in case I miss a payment, you won't be able to find me, I'll be on the road breaking your rule of not using a personal auto loan vehicle for commercial work".

Obladi Oblada

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's strange. When I got my van it took a 5-min call to my credit union to get a 3-yr loan.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon (14-pass all captains chairs)
V10 - 375,000 miles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Choosing tow vehicle, Van or 3/4 truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS