|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Battery Isolator switch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
philrush

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 Dutchman Durado, 26 foot, by Four Winds.

My owners manual tells me there is a battery isolator switch, and what it is used for, but it doesnt tell me where it is located.

Please help

thank you

phil

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the battery isolator switch the same as the battery disconnect switch? My battery disconnect switch is beside the door as you come in. It is a momentary switch that operates a latching relay, located near the converter. Press the top and the battery is connected,press the bottom and the the battery is disconnected from most things.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The relay device under the hood is to connect the engine alternator to charge the house battery while driving, that is not the auxiliary/house battery disconnect switch. There is usually a control panel near the doorway with fullness indicators for batteries,holding tanks, etc., where the house battery disconnect switch, water pump and generator on/off may be. This switch is supposed to disconnect your house battery from alarms and appliance controls during storage so that the house battery doesn't run down as quickly. When set to off, there is no power from house battery to lights, furnace blower and other appliances. There may also be a black circuit breaker with reset button located in the house battery compartment near the positive terminal. On some RV's, there is an automatic switch to connect the generator's output to the RV's 110volt AC circuits or when generator is not running, it connects the RV to the shore power 110 volt AC if plugged in. On our RV, there is no automatic switch, I have to plug the shore power plug directly into a receptacle on the side of the generator from the shore cable storage compartment. If this doesn't help, call around various RV repair places and ask where to find your auxiliary/house battery disconnect on/off switch. Is Dutchmen still in business? Do a google search and call them.

Found it:

Dutchmen Customer Service
Service, Parts, and Warranty
P.O. Box 2164
Goshen, IN 46527
Phone: (574) 537-0600

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your house battery is connected to your converter. Somewhere between the two there is a fuse or a circuit breaker that could be bad. If you have a voltmeter or test light you can check for 12 volts at the converter. The converter converts the 120 vac to 12v to charge the battery when you are plugged in. Near the converter is the power distribution panel. It has the fuses for the 12v and circuit breakers for the 120v. Maybe one of these fuses is blown. Does anything that is powered by 12v work? Propane detector, etc. These have lights you should see if they are getting 12v. I am pretty sure that nothing under the hood will interfere with getting voltage from the house battery to the power distribution panel and the lights, however it could affect the battery charging when the engine is running.

The on/off switch your EXPERT referred to is probably the battery disconnect switch I previously referred to. You probably have one since my 2005 Dutchman has one.

philrush

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called my dealer today, and he said that switch "shold" be inside the door as you walk in.

Well...either its nor there, or I am BLIND !!

He said I could drive up tomorrow and someone would assist me.

I never used this switch and the lights always worked before.
There MUST be a switch that some turned off when I had it in for service.

I never KNEW there was a switch, and I dont remember the salesman showing me one on the walk thru.

Im going to try another post, asking for Dutcman owners specifically.

philrush

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I asked the question improperly.

When new,I could run the interior lights on the "house" battery, but, for some reason those lights will no longer work. (just replaced battery today)

I assumed there was an on/off switch that controlled battery power to the coach without disconnecting the house battery, but that action is apparently controlled by a solonoid located under the hood.

Apparently, the solenoid or the fuse controlling the solenoid (which I havent found yet) has blown.

I will just have to run everthing off the generator until I get it fixed.

I thought there was a on/off switch located somewhere in the hallway (as suggested by a "EXPERT" at the local Camping world

philrush

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK

I have it figured out!!

Problem was, that when I turned the battery disconnect switch ON, my lights would not work off of the battery alone. I needed to have the generator on, so I thought there might be a second switch.

BTW, the disconnect switch in the DURADO is located in a storage compartment next to the battery storage compartment. I always knew this, just thought that since my light didnt work, and that I had checked all circuit breakers and fuses on the fuse panel, there MUST be another switch.

NO there is not.

Here was the problem.

Under the stove is a panel (held on by philips head screws).

In THAT compartment is an electrical (bus) that ALL electric wires connect to.

EACH wire has a small, square, pop out circuit breaker.

That breaker had popped!

there must be 50 of those little buggers in there and there was no way to know they are there unless a service guy points them out to you!!!
So, prroblem solved at no cost to me, other than 3 days of aggrevation, and a 50 mile trip to the dealer.

Thanks Curtis...... ENDLESS SUMMER RV SALES in Frederick Md.

Phil

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Battery Isolator switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS