RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: To Install Slideout Awning or Not?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> To Install Slideout Awning or Not?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toolman1 wrote:

Our coach has 2 slide awnings, and it is 6 years old. Had to replace the material on one of them @ 2 years, and the other @ 4 years. On very windy nights, the cover material flaps so badly, we have to roll in the slides just to sleep. They collect a lot of dirt, which on foggy or damp nights turns to mud, and makes for a difficult cleaning process. Getting between to slide, and the awning is difficult, but made easier on top of a ladder, with a sponge style mop, on a long broom handle. When it rains they tend to collect gallons and gallons of water in the center, unless I shove a couple of beach balls under the awning. In short, They are a PITA, and personally I wish they weren't on there at all. This is JMHO. Hope this helps with you're decision.

X2

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pat Anderson wrote:

Also, DW Googled a bit, the slide awnings are available for around $200 - how difficult to install? I am not really handy with tool, do NOT want to be drilling any holes in the new Fox Mountain!

there are many different grades of awnings and materials. don't compare apples to oranges. and let the dealer do the installation if you are not handy with tools.
bumpy

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one on my old Class A, but not on my FW I bought used. I thought I would miss the cover, but I don't.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We wouldn't be without them. Ordered $1600 worth for three slides before we even did the PDI.

Let a dealer install them. The torsion spring can (and will) eat your arm up to the elbow!

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have them; most of the reasons have already been stated, but with my last unit I did and from the weight of h2o and wind and getting slack they started to pull off the skin of my trailer and small holes opened that where not detectable at the onset but my unit delam'ed. They were installed by my dealer who is very reputable.
I don't like any penetration of the exterior for that reason.

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 02:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rmalik1 wrote:

I don't have them; most of the reasons have already been stated, but with my last unit I did and from the weight of h2o and wind and getting slack they started to pull off the skin of my trailer and small holes opened that where not detectable at the onset but my unit delam'ed. They were installed by my dealer who is very reputable.
I don't like any penetration of the exterior for that reason.

Sounds like something wasn't done right during the install of your toppers...I have 4 slide out toppers, and as I stated earlier, the 5er is almost 6 yrs old and I have zero issues....toppers still look very good...When it rained, I got out my little ladder, took a broom handle, pushed up on one side of the topper and the water ran off the other side, or I ran the slide in and back out, dumping all the water. I was camping in West Union SC several years ago when a Tornado touched down somewhere around Seneca/Wahalla (sp?) area, wind blew harder than I'd ever seen it blow and all toppers are still there, I never brought the slides in.. I Have spent numerous camping trips to Myrtle Beach and the Outer Banks where the wind blows so much at times that you don't normally leave your main awning out and I've still had no issues with the toppers...If the wind is really blowing, I do notice the topper over the bedroom slide out, but the only time it ever bothered me and had me worried was when the tornado passed close to West Union...that was scary...but again, no material tears or holes, no de-lam, nor a whole lot of flapping..

I guess a lot can depend on the type of material used, how well the toppers are installed and how well they are maintained.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Vietnam Vet

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC Hauler wrote:

I guess a lot can depend on the type of material used, how well the toppers are installed and how well they are maintained.

yep, that pretty much boils it down. lots of side issues that can develop due to shoddy materials, construction, and installation.
bumpy

RECVEH2005

Green Valley, AZ, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had them on 3 trailers - will have them on #4!

Mike

Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had one on our last rig, actually we had Sumner install it, it was a type I don't know if it's still made, that was NOT attached to the silder. So we could decide if we needed it. I could retract it in high winds (ie the Coast), but leave the slide out, out.

We had decided to "go without" on this rig, when Shawn called us to tell us that the Factory had accidentally installed awnings. The factory ate the cost.

We have found we really don't like the flapping noise on a windy night.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn wrote:

We had one on our last rig, actually we had Sumner install it, it was a type I don't know if it's still made, that was NOT attached to the silder. So we could decide if we needed it. I could retract it in high winds (ie the Coast), but leave the slide out, out.

We had decided to "go without" on this rig, when Shawn called us to tell us that the Factory had accidentally installed awnings. The factory ate the cost.

We have found we really don't like the flapping noise on a windy night.

that is the type of slider awning that I have always recommended but I think the company no longer makes them???
bumpy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> To Install Slideout Awning or Not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS