|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Review of Reese Goosebox

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pbar34

Altadena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

pbar34 wrote:

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

I don't see where this would have any different effect on the frame of the trailer than a regular pin box with a fifth/goose adapter attached to the pin box. The amount of horizontal extension and vertical drop are the same, and it mounts to the frame the same way as the pin box, in the same position and the trailer's frame hasn't changed any.

Ditto. The different geometry of the pin box will create different forces that are on the pin box and not frame. The pin box now has a little longer, vertical lever but the 5ver frame won't see these different forces.

Phil
The trailer frame WILL see those forces. The goosebox is a longer vertical lever torquing on the trailer's frame. Just as a gooseneck adapter on a regular pin box is also a longer vertical lever torquing on the frame in the same way.

The only difference in the lever is the goosebox is a one-piece unit, whereas a regular pin box and gooseneck adapter is a 2-piece unit. However, the 2 pieces are rigidly mounted together, so they act as one piece, so far as the trailer's frame is concerned.

The only difference the trailer's frame will see is the anti-shock cushioning, as mentioned earlier by someone else. A worthwhile benefit no doubht. However, anti-shock cushioning devices are available to use with a gooseneck adapter and regular pin box, so an equal comparison could still be made between the two methods.

I have to disagree but should also correct my post to not speak in absolutes. There may be a minimal amount of additional force put on the 5ver frame in compression and tension but this should be very minimal compared to a standard hitch. I am only speaking in the difference between a normal 5ver hitch and the Goose Box. Here's why. First, forces get reduced through each joint, in this case two 90 degree joints. This first point assumes these are rigid joints but in this Goose Box, the joints are not rigid. The shock/articulating motion of this Goose Box looks to be in the same point as my 5th Airborn hitch, just in front of the kingpin. This pivot point and articulation is going to absorb much of the additional loads from the longer adapter. I really do not see much of a difference in the loads between the two types of hitches, given the significant reduction in forces through the joints and the articulation/shock of the hitch (this latter feature being huge in reducing shock loads to the 5ver frame). Would be interesting to get some one from Reese to provide real numbers, though.

Phil

Phil

2005 Cougar 275EFS
2007 Chevy CC, D/A LBZ

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The length and angle of the lever arm to the frame is still the same, so it will still transfer the same horizontal torque to the frame. The cushioning mechanism will reduce shock forces, which is good. The overall pulling/pushing force and resultant torque to the frame due to the length of the lever is still the same though.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

rangerburger

california

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will the GooseBox work on a short bed?

SandSOrrell

Fort Worth, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please educate this dumb newbie. What is the advantage of a gooseneck type hitch over the standard pin box on a 5er? I can see where it would make some room in the PU bed. But is that the only advantage?

Skip and Susan
2013 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA
2013 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 D/A DRW 4X4

USAF, Ret (63-83)
Vietnam (off and on 65-75)

mdamerell

Fort Wayne

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might find these interesting: Some info I found while doing my research. Not an engineer so I leave that to the experts.

RVAA awards the Reese Goose Box “2012 Product of the Year - Runner Up”
http://www.partsandpeople.com/node/4302

Cequent Announces the Reese Goose Box
http://utvweekly.com/index.php/2011/08/cequent-announces-the-reese-goose-box/

NATM Member News
http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1uih3/OctoberNovemberTrack/resources/50.htm

PDF file on different hitch options
http://www.draw-tite.com/content/downloads/catalogs/Cequent_2012_08_Pin_Boxes.pdf

2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

mdamerell

Fort Wayne

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends upon what all you use your truck for. If all you use it for is pulling you 5'r then all that hitch sitting in your bed is not an issue. If you need your truck to pull different trailers like on a farm, those trailers tend to use goose neck hitches as the goose neck allows move movement over uneven ground. Personally I like that once I unhook, I pull a pin, flip my ball and I have a "clean bed" to do whatever else I need to use my truck for.

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SandSOrrell wrote:

Please educate this dumb newbie. What is the advantage of a gooseneck type hitch over the standard pin box on a 5er? I can see where it would make some room in the PU bed. But is that the only advantage?

Basically, but other options are: 1) time and labor to remove a fifth wheel hitch to achieve the same bed space or, 2) just hook up a small utility trailer to carry a load. I've done both for many years.

My view about using a GN ball mount, safety chains are required and hookup is more difficult due to less alignment tolerance and reduced visibility.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'11 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32MK loaded
Rig Photos

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdamerell wrote:

Depends upon what all you use your truck for. If all you use it for is pulling you 5'r then all that hitch sitting in your bed is not an issue. If you need your truck to pull different trailers like on a farm, those trailers tend to use goose neck hitches as the goose neck allows move movement over uneven ground. Personally I like that once I unhook, I pull a pin, flip my ball and I have a "clean bed" to do whatever else I need to use my truck for.

The "benefit" of increased movement over uneven ground only applies to ranch and equipment trailers. When it comes to a fifth wheel trailer that is wider than the truck bed, clearance between the top of the truck bed and the underside of the fiver limits the amount of movement between the truck and trailer, not the amount of movement at the ball vs. hitch. There are plenty of fifth wheel hitches with side-to-side pivot and these are actually designed to limit side movement, generally 5 degrees, to prevent truck to trailer contact and damage.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SandSOrrell wrote:

IMO, there is no advantage.
I found the gooseneck hitch more difficult to hook up than the fifth wheel hitch.
A gooseneck hitch has to have safety chains, a fifth wheel hitch does not (at least, that's the law in my state!)
I no longer have any need for either of them, but if I ever do get another such trailer, it WILL be speced with a fifth wheel hitch.
I just like them better than a gooseneck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SandSOrrell wrote:

You might want to go back a couple of pages and look at the hitch...not much at all like your typical GN hitch..

I still have my "wonder" as to "IF" there is cracking in the sidewall or something does happen to the frame will manufacturer and/or Lippert still stand by their backing of this hitch.

More room in the bed, but like Mowermech stated, do you still need the safety chains for this product..if so, to me, it's a bit of a pain.

He was a new member and so are you, and no one would call a "newbie" dumb.....he was sharing what he had seen on this hitch

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Review of Reese Goosebox
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts