|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Thinking about dumping the landline

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
shysher

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DH and I have briefly thought of dumping the landline. First of all, we wish to port our existing home phone number should we do so. The options we seem to be coming up with are:
1. Purchase a dedicated prepaid cellphone (most likely Straight Talk) and port our home phone # to it.
2. Purchase a MagicJack Plus and port our home phone # to it if allowed.
3. Possibly enroll with Skype.

If anyone has ideas as to which of those options is the best (and hopefully most cost-saving), we are open to your input. Any other options suggested would also be appreciated.

DH has been squeamish about getting rid of the landline, but we are one of the areas that Verizon sold out to Frontier. Within just a couple of months after the Frontier takeover, our phone bill increased at least 10-15 dollars a month. It is now in the same price category as the unlimited Straight Talk plan and we think just the $30 plan would be sufficient for it, as he, our son and I all have personal cellphones in addition to the home phone. Our reason for wanting to keep our home phone # is for our family and friends who have known it for years.

Again, all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sherry

Jackthewonderdog

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vontage works great, about 25 a month, unlimited US, plus two foreign countries. Lets you keep a landline. I believe after all taxes, etc, the cost is about $39. You can dial into it and retrieve messages from wherever you are. Needs an active internet connection.

If it is only for friends and family what does it matter. Give them the new number. I am sure unless they are all 96, they will port themselves to the new number very easy.

Not sure you can port to magic jack or Skype, not even sure about a prepaid.

I got rid of landline completely, and just give out cell number to those I wish. A lot simpilier and cheaper.

SolidAxleDurango

OK, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not had a land line since 2000.

TV = 07 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / QC-LB / CTD / G56 / 3.73 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 )

Dutch_12078

Currently at Gilbert Lake SP, Laurens, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ported our landline number to a Google Voice account, and have the account set to forward all calls to both of our cell phones. Caller ID helps us decide who will answer, just as it did when we had multiple phones on the landline.

Before anyone jumps in to say you can't port a landline number to Google Voice, only cell phone numbers, you're right. That is you can't do it directly. What we did, was port our landline number to a temporarily reactivated Tracfone handset we had on hand first, and then a couple of weeks later ported it from Tracfone to Google since now it was a cell phone number. If we didn't have an old Tracfone handset laying around, we would have bought the cheapest one we could find to get the job done.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JimBollman

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched our landline to Verizon Home Phone Connect. It lets you connect all the phones in your house to a box that uses the cell phone system. Costs us $25/month with all the taxes, free long distance, caller ID, voice mail, etc. It has a battery backup so it even works during power failures. With a 2 year contract the equipment was free. I think there was a $35 startup fee. We used it for 10 days on a temporary number to be sure we were happy (they give you 2 weeks to cancel) and then had our old number transfered. We have used it for over a year now and are still happy. We even take it on trips and plug it in at night with a small phone so we can get our messages and have our home numer to return calls. Even made up a 12 volt cord for the camper.

Jim...

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whatever you decide to do i'd advise you to take into consideration how your new service will handle 9-1-1 calls. virtually all 9-1-1 call centers support phase 2 and phase 3 wireless now (phase 2 provides the 9-1-1 operator your callback telephone number; phase 3 provides your calling location in the form of an address or lat/long coordinates). not sure about services like skype, vonage, etc.

you want to make sure that calls to 9-1-1 made from your telephone are routed to the specific 9-1-1 call center that has jurisdiction for your address or at least can transfer your call to the appropriate call center.

good luck to you.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

normared

The State of East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If ya'all are that squeamish about completely giving up the home phone - we decided to contact our provider and "suspend" our home phone service while we're on the road for the next 4/5 months... That cut our home phone bill in half (to under $18) and allowed us to keep our number while we decide whether to give it up all together or port it somewhere else. May not be a direct answer, but we went this route simply to give us time. Maybe your phone company offers that too.

You must check into the Google number -it's very cool (AND FREE). We have one for general purpose (we put it on forms and such) and it auto-forwards to our regular cell number. We have a Straight Talk cell phone and love it. We also use Skype with our laptop, and best of all, video calls are free to anyone who also has a Skype account. We've learned most kids / young adults have it or can get it on their cell phones. That way we get to 'see' the grandson as much as we want! Downside of course is that we have to have good signal to our Verizon Mifi (which we also LOVE). We're looking at Skype for regular phone service, but aren't ready to commit to "computer calls" just yet...

Lots of techno choices, but don't be intimidated, they're not too hard to learn and/or use - even for total backwoods TN hillbillies like us.

Full-timer in our Bounder with Jeep Wrangler toad

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of people have dumped a landline, and put a lot of people out of work, those who used to install landlines, and did maintenance on phone line systems!

It was part of the things on how technology has changed the number of people working.

I have not had a landline since 2005, and don't miss it at all. Yet I would recommend signing up for a monthly contract, and normally they come in a 2 year agreement, that normally includes the phone cost prorated during the contract length. So consider about $5 or $10 of that monthly cost what the phone is actually costing you.

Fred.

stitchinsue

Central Pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't given up ours yet for various reasons, but I did have long distance and vm taken off. It was like pulling a tooth getting them to remove the long distance. I used to work in the industry and know it is nothing or them to remove that feature. Anyway, we use the cell for long distance.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have a land line. It's only $22/month and that includes all the taxes and fees and such. Shut off out going long distance a long time ago. Use a calling card that we've had for 10 years now.. Still have about 250 minutes left on it! 1-800 numbers work fine outgoing too...

We like the land line because that's all we give out for our 'home phone' number when asked on applications and such. It's hooked to an answering machine and it's great for screening calls... If it's something legit, they leave a message or talk to the machine and if we are screening, we'll pick up.. If not, they leave a message or we ignore it..

We have cell phones too, but it's a pretty basic package with so many shared minutes a month (my wife and I have our own cell numbers).

Works for us.. Sure, with the cell phones, we pay a C note a month for phone service, but it works for us and we maintain our privacy the way we like it.

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Thinking about dumping the landline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS