|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Setting up B&W Companion Hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally don't think a very dense rubber mat would be a problem. A spray-on liner shouldn't be a problem either. However, I would not install one over a ribbed plastic drop-in bed liner.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Retired JSO

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had my companion for several years and it's always been mounted on the rubber mat. I just cut a hole for the ball opening with a hole saw. Sorry for the dim picture but we are now camping and the green shade is a tarp covering my firewood.

bobinyelm

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions and the photo.

Looks like you have your brackets tilted forward to put the king pin as close over-the-ball as possible, which is my intent.

I'll try it w/ the liner/mat in place, and if I feel much movement, I will remove the liner.

I'd prefer a spray-in-liner, but it never seems like there's enough $ to do everything I want to do.

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us know how it works out. I'll be doing the same thing. I already have the turnover ball installed. Just not in a big hurry as I haven't found the 5er that I want yet.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

bobinyelm

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started researching spray-in bedliners, and there's one that uses a 2-part catalyzed mix like Line-X that is supposed to be VERY good (much better than the roll-on air-cure types):
http://www.tptools.com/p/2600,233_U-Pol-Raptor-Truck-Bed-Liner-Kit.html

Where to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/U-POL-0820V-GUN-Black-Truck-Liner/dp/B003TQIIPG/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_1

Application Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDpYIT6VkA

(Here's one applying Hurculiner with a brush and roller-the spray Raptor seems like a better deal, especially that it chemically cures like Line-X):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYjVFvqSbE&feature=related

If I have to get rid of the drop-in liner, Raptor is 1/3rd the price of Linex-X (and comes w/ a gun) and if it's 1/3rd as good even, that's all I need since I don't beat my bed up.

Bob

PS Anyone use the stuff here?

mobilcastle

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Line-X. It is a great coating but it is not cheap-I plan on keeping my truck for many years.

2010 Heartland 3670RL Mor/Ryde PB,dual panes,2-AC,
7000lb axles,G rated LT tires,38' high profile,
2011 Chevy 3500HD,Dually,D/A,LB,EB,4X4,
B&W Companion,GVWR-13,000

motorcycle jack

FT all over

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason B&W gave for not using a rubber mat is: When torquing the the center pin down and you compress the rubber mat, it may deteriorate in the future allowing the pin to no longer have the proper torque. This may cause the hitch assembly to come loose and subsequent loss of the hitch and fifth wheel. I would NEVER allow anything between the hitch and the metal bed, but I'm a safety nut.

John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

brentbullets

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

motorcycle jack wrote:

The reason B&W gave for not using a rubber mat is: When torquing the the center pin down and you compress the rubber mat, it may deteriorate in the future allowing the pin to no longer have the proper torque. This may cause the hitch assembly to come loose and subsequent loss of the hitch and fifth wheel. I would NEVER allow anything between the hitch and the metal bed, but I'm a safety nut.

Exactly!!

bobinyelm

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine if the hitch got a tad loose that you wouldn't hear it rattle or bang on stops and starts LONG before the entire thing ripped loose from the bed and the 5th wheel went careening down the road.

I'm all for safety as well, but checking the torque frequently should preclude carnage.

As for nothing between the hitch and the bed, if you have a Ford, B&W says you actually SHOULD have rubber padding between the hitch and the bed, and provides the materials free as a retrofit kit.

bobinyelm

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobilcastle wrote:

I have Line-X. It is a great coating but it is not cheap-I plan on keeping my truck for many years.

No argument, but I am sure that the franchise charges for the use of the product and name, plus the applier charges for their overhead, time and expertise applying the stuff, so the materials themselves may not be THAT superior to other 2-Part catalyzed urethane coatings.

If one is willing to do the prep and the spraying, maybe something approaching Line-X quality is possible for a third the price after the other elements are stripped away.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Setting up B&W Companion Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS