RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Another gray/black question, sorry.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Another gray/black question, sorry.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi BigSur2,

I simply drain my tanks fully each time. Then I use plenty of water when flushing. So far exactly zero problems in ten years of about 50 nights per year.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

BigSur2

Hampton, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi BigSur2,

I simply drain my tanks fully each time. Then I use plenty of water when flushing. So far exactly zero problems in ten years of about 50 nights per year.

That's pretty interesting....I rarely hear anyone say that but it sounds tempting. I'd rather not have to worry about adding anything back.

When you say "flushing"...do you mean when you flush your toilet or do you actually flush your tanks each time you dump. My new Keystone has a flush connection for the black tank. I use a Hydroflush for the gray. In an ideal world, I'd just empty the tanks each time I go...and then every 3 or 4 trips use a combination of the GeoMethod and a thorough flush on both tanks at dump time to "clean" the tank. If I don't have to worry about adding anything back on top of that....my tank maintenance processes will get much more efficient on most trips.

I usually do a thorough flush on BOTH tanks plus make a point to add water back on ALL trips. Anyone else agree that's overkill? If I did the Geo Method and a thorough flush a few times per year w/ no other maintenance, adding water, etc......would that be sufficient? I've been doing anything and everything possible to reduce setup/breakdown time. I have a family of five and we take a lot of small 1 and 2 day trips. Sometimes it seems like a LOT of work for a short vacation. I'm sure I'm not alone.

BigSur2
2012 Keystone Bullet 286QBS
2006 Ford F150 5.4 V8

kennybob

Russell, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 8.3 lbs per gallon, 3 gallons = 25 lbs. Weight SHOULD NOT be an issue here!!!!!

Camping Forever

Ken, Marilyn & pussy cat Lady Amber
31 ft Glendale Golden Falcon (Single Dinette/Sofabed Slide)
2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0 liter Allison Trans Ext Cab short Box

WEB http://www.freewebs.com/napstar1

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi BigSur2,

I do exactly the same thing. It is probably more important to make sure you have plenty of liquid in your tanks when draining them, to ensure any solids are flushed away.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to BigSur2's original question.

Can't you see your tanks? It is easy to see the tanks under Mobi. It would be easy enough to measure them.

Now to his last post:

We add enough water to be sure the black and grey are full enough to dump, dump the tanks, add a couple gallons of water back into each tank, dump again, add another couple gallons to each and that is it. So I am sure you could do the same and leave the flushing and Geo Method to just a couple times a year.

BigSur2

Hampton, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kennybob wrote:

At 8.3 lbs per gallon, 3 gallons = 25 lbs. Weight SHOULD NOT be an issue here!!!!!

Understood. It's not really a matter of it being an issue. I just like to minimize wherever possible. I'm obsessed with efficiency.

Doesn't matter b/c I might start taking a new approach unless somebody makes me feel like it's a bad idea. I think I'm just gonna drain each time....every 3 or 4 times out I'll "clean and flush". I guess my worry in the past has been that the solids will dry up and become "stuck" at the bottom of the tank, enough to where even a thorough flush won't break it up. Maybe that's not so much of a worry after all.

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kennybob wrote:

x2!

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigSur2 wrote:

My whole point was the fact that some people are adding water to their tanks and not even thinking about the fact that all they're doing is filling the drain lines. My Jay Flight had a LOT of pipe on it.
They are trying to avoid the dreaded black tank pyramid that, if you search, you will find lots of threads about.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

BigSur2

Hampton, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tothill wrote:

Back to BigSur2's original question.

Can't you see your tanks? It is easy to see the tanks under Mobi. It would be easy enough to measure them.

Now to his last post:

We add enough water to be sure the black and grey are full enough to dump, dump the tanks, add a couple gallons of water back into each tank, dump again, add another couple gallons to each and that is it. So I am sure you could do the same and leave the flushing and Geo Method to just a couple times a year.

Yes, probably. I jumped a little too far ahead on this thread. I need to take a harder look at what I've got on the new rig. My whole point was the fact that some people are adding water to their tanks and not even thinking about the fact that all they're doing is filling the drain lines. My Jay Flight had a LOT of pipe on it.

This thread has got me thinking though b/c I've always been like you...dump/add/dump/add. I think it's overkill on every trip.

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do u know the width and length of the tanks? If so, do a google search for aquarium volume calculator. Once you find he calculator, simply input the width and length of your tank. You still need a height value but use something like 1/4". It will give you how many gallons it takes to fill the space.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Another gray/black question, sorry.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS