|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What to pick for weekend trips/hiking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Skelshy

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Previous RV experience: Renting a 25ft class C out of Vegas touring national parks.
What I liked about it: staying IN or near the parks near to the action.
What I didn't like: Class C was a little too wide for some of the side roads. Used a lot of gas.

What I'd like to do: Explore the parks in the pacific northwest where I live. Stay in or close to parks. Go hiking, biking.

Needs to:
  • work on narrow side roads and well maintained dirt roads (like barlow pass)
  • seat and sleep two
  • comfortable sitting space for two to survive a day in the rain
  • hot water (shower not required but would be nice)
  • tall enough to stand in and change
  • operate in three seasons (be able to function slightly below freezing in an emergency)
  • be heated or heatable

I don't mind cooking outside - as long as you're moving around I'm usually fine. If you have downtime though either after a hike or because of bad weather, I'd really like to have a small heated space available to stay in. I initially thought about a Suburban as it does most of this, but when caught in the rain it'd be a little tight and cold.

Any specific suggestions? Should I look at pop-up truck campers?

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

R-Pod
A-Liner

Assuming you have something with which to tow it, of course.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either a truck camper or a small camping van (B Class) would work pretty well if you want to do these things and keep the camper with you. If you're looking to set it up and unhitch to travel these roads then something small like Casita or Skamp, A liner or pop up trailer would all work for you according to your own budget and taste. Any of those could easily be towed by smaller SUV or truck or even a jeep or jeep type ATV.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So... you're possibly looking for the SUV of RV's. Consider a truck camper and a 4x4 pick-up. The advantages are: the camper goes where the truck goes, height being the main consideration (pop-up or hard side); The camper can be off-loaded and the truck used for whatever reason, daily driver, sight-seeing, and yes, towing, even with the camper loaded. Check out the Truck Camper Forum and note the "sticky" posts regarding, 'photos' and 'trip reports'.

Take a peek. You might find something of interest in that style of camping. Just be aware that TC's aren't the least expensive way to RV.

RVn Full-time

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what you want, a T/C sounds like the ideal combination. But, it will also depend on what you have for a P/U to put it on.

The Pop-Up type will allow more clearance, and probably save both weight and fuel, but will be tougher to find used.

I don't know if they (pop-up) are as warm in the colder weather, but you'd be dry, and you can always run the heater in such a small space.

Another option might be a Class "B" conversion van, but from reading what you like to do, having a 4x4 P/U would really allow you to get away from it all, and camp just about anywhere. Yes, there are some 4x4 conversion vans, but they are very expensive.

Good Luck

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd suggest a popup due to the wanting to work on narrow roads. Sounds like you might be headed down a dirt or gravel road or two and smaller is better. But the popup would give you open space and taller than Rpods or Aliner campers.
If a popup isn't your thing and you want a TT, check out http://www.livinlite.com/

Their quicksilver popups or Camplite TT's might be the right thing for you. Rugged but small and lite and they have offroad packages for better handling of the more primitive camping style I think your talking about liking.

Good luck in your search. PM me if you want more info on them. I don't own but have researched them a ton.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For your desires, I would look at a 3/4 ton pickup and a 8 foot camper. Or one of the popup campers and a 1/2 ton pickup. Either combination will work. The 3/4 and 8 foot camper will have a bit more comfort due to the fact it will not have any canvas to get damp. Picking a light camper with minimal insides should be fairly easy and you could probably pick up a decent one about 10-12 years old off of craigslist for really cheap.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

GailS

Indialantic FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having owned a LTV Sprinter Class B for 6 years, it seems it would fill all your requirements and then some. They are expensive but fuel economy is good. You might look for a good used Sprinter or other B or check out Sportsmobile that customizes vans to your needs.

Tiger4x4RV

San Diego County, California

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV style is like what you want yours to be. I do love my Tiger 4x4 Class C, 20 feet long, 87 inches wide, but wish it were smaller. I agree with the above posters: a smallish 4x4 pickup with a popup TC should suit your needs well.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Skelshy

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the insightful responses (keep 'em coming!)

we have a cr-v so most likely we'd have to get a different/additional vehicle. the buzzy engine in the cr-v gets into high RPMs without anything in tow ;-) but this also means I'm flexible in what vehicle to pick.

I looked at roadtrek and sprinter vans and I did like the size, but they're awfully expensive for a first RV where there's a big chance you'll learn you really wanted something else. Also, the ones I looked at very fairly high end, which isn't something I'd want to pay for. I don't want to live in it, I want a heated box to drive around in. Head out Fri night, crash in a parking lot, head to the Oregon coast, do a hike or whatever, do some BBQ, go back home.

I don't plan on going anywhere that needs 4WD or high clearance. In fact I might not want to pay the permanent fuel cost overhead for 4wd.

Picking out a used truck and used truck camper certainly is a relatively inexpensive and flexible way to go; I'll also find out if there are any dealerships that sell lighterweight TTs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What to pick for weekend trips/hiking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS