RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tips for selling on Craigslist.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tips for selling on Craigslist.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
tri5ron

Orange County Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disclaimer-
I wrote this as a responce to a thread that is now closed.
I hope I am not breaking any rules here, and if I am, then please feel free to delete this thread.

I am only trying to offer up some experienced advise and tips, that may help members here, to avoid the frustrations of selling their items, and filtering out the scammers, bottom-feeders,and lowballers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I buy and sell a lot of things through Craigslist with good success.

The trick is, to understand that CL is "self monitored", without any paid moderators, or administrators. (that's why it's free).
That's ALSO WHY, the scammers love to "phish" for vulnerable sellers.

I've learned that the details I put INTO the ad,...
and the WAY I put them into the ad,...
Will determine what kind of responses I get.

When putting in the ad, do not use the CL "secured email function".

Instead, put your email into the body of the ad,... BUT, put in some spaces or extra characters.
Then below the ad,
You write a sentence saying to remove the x's, or make whatever corrections to the email addy.

What this does is, it makes it so that the automated web crawlers and spyware, that the scammers often use, can not "Read" your actual email addy.
It requires that an actual Human Being, with some average intelligence, needs to READ THE AD, and reply accordingly.

Example,...

--------------------------------------------------
If you are interested in looking at this item for sale, reply to:
tri-5-ronxx (at) g m a i l (dot) com
NOTE- FOR THE ABOVE EMAIL ADDRESS, YOU MUST REMOVE the x's, spaces, and use the correct "@" and "." symbols
----------------------------------------------------

What this does, is insures a living, breathing human being must READ the ad, and comprehend what it says for instructions.
Not some automated spyware/web-crawler, that is programmed to pick up on a standard email addy (or phone number)format... and in turn send you a pre written **Reply**.

ALSO,...
you can put in your phone number into the body of the ad,
BUT,
break it up with both numbers and letters, (spelling out the number).
example,
323-seven 6 five- 9 two 3 3.

again, this requires that someone of at least average intelligence would need to put forth a minimal amount of brain power, to reply to your ad.

Another thing to be aware of, is that selling anything on CL requires YOU to be realistic in your details, description, and asking price.
You must look at the other similar items listed for sale. Get a feel for what is out there, and what you are "competing" with.

Think of it from the potential BUYERS point of view.
What is the range of available units, and their comparative asking prices.
That's what you are competing with.

Of course, you must also set your price in a realistic range.
Not what "Kelly Blue Book" says it's worth,
Not what you THINK it's worth,
Not what you'd LIKE it to sell for,
but rather, what could you really BUY one for,... if you yourself were looking to purchase a similar USED item.

you must come to terms with yourself on,
"What is really Really REALLY the lowest price I am willing to take".
(this is probably the hardest thing for most people to accept and do).
Sure, we all want to...
"Get as much as I can for it".

But at the same time, the buyers are thinking...
"I want it as cheaply as possible"

Don't go into it thinking you'd be happy with $5000 for it, so you set the price 30% higher at $7500, to give them a feeling of negotiating room.
That only runs off potential buyers, who are looking in the "$4500 to $5500 price range".

That's the way to play the CL game,
and played correctly,
it works to your advantage.

hope this helps, and good luck on selling your items.

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never, and do not plan to in the near future, used CL but these seem like sound tips and ones tht I would not have thought of. I'm sure they will help several people - with your permission, I will pass them on. Thanks.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like very good advice.

Some things that I have found work very well on eBay adverts (where I have bought and sold many things), and probably therefore also on CL (which I haven't actually used):

Providing good pictures - to attract the right buyers provide decent pictures of the item for sale looking clean and tidy, not one out of focus picture of the camper with the cushions removed and your old bike / garden tools / whatever else you have been storing in it still there.

Provide a good description (NOT in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS), including things you have added / repaired - you want to show a prospective buyer you have cared for it.

If there is anything that needs fixing, and you can fix it fairly easily, do so. It is too easy to assume "anyone can fix that, I just haven't got around to it", but many prospective buyers won't have your practical skills, and those who do will, like me, be the sort of people who look to buy a fixer-upper opportunity at a bargain price. Other buyers will interpret "I haven't got around to it" as code for "it is actually very difficult / expensive to fix and I am just trying to pretend I haven't had time".

Be honest - describe any defects (bearing in mind the above). It is the right thing to do, but also shows prospective buyers you are an honest person and not someone likely to hide major problems with the item.

Building upon what was said above about the price - so many people have an elavated view of what the item they are selling is worth. I see it with computers - just because someone spent $3000 on it because they ticked every option box and added loads of after market stuff, doesn't mean it is now work $2000 when it is 5 years old.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo

nazpaz

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about advice from the other direction - for buying a Thousand Trails membership from Craigslist?

-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2008 6.4L SRW F-350 Diesel - 2007 Hitchhiker 32.5 LKSBG - Superglide Hitch

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've bought and sold quite a few things (20+ things including cars and boats) on Craig's List without any problems, but I've used many of the tips you suggested. Excellent advice.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

realter

Eastern NE

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does this have to do with Truck campers?

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I bought my Truck Camper off of CL from and ad that had the same tips in use.

I buy lots of my accesories from CL, Ebay, etc Online buying and selling saves me tons to time and fuel

03 F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab long bed, 08 Lance 1055, Rancho 9000xl, Air Lift air Bags, Torqlift tiedowns,stable loads, super hitch, 48" super truss, Toyo 285/75R16 Opencountry HT. Rickson Steel 19.5 rims on order

big whitey

raleigh,nc

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i've bought/sold on CL with no issues .my tip when selling is patience, a reasonable price and accept CASH ONLY (truck $16,500 and TC $6,500)i know that is a lot of cash to carry around but it is always a safe transaction from a sellers view point and an interested buyer WILL make the necessary arrangements.if a buyer do your own due diligence,use common sense,and be careful.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tips for selling on Craigslist.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS