RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tire Pressure-Sidewall number, or number on trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire Pressure-Sidewall number, or number on trailer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
AV8R 130

DC

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably been gone over a dozen times, so I apologize in advance. The sticker on my trailer says I should run the tires at 35 PSI. The sidewall says they're good for 50 PSI.

I've heard conflicting info on this-A friend swears I should be running closer to, if not at the 50 PSI to prevent the tires from overheating/blowout. If so, WHY would KZ tell me to run them at 35 PSI? Running them at the higher pressure makes sense to me, at 35 PSI the actually look a bit low....What do you all do with yours?

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the tire sidewall says 50, then I would air them up to 50. I have no idea why there would be a 35# sticker on the side of your trailer, other than its just a mistake.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The number on the trailer is good for the OEM tires at the full GVWR of your trailer. The number on the tires is for the full maximum load of the tire (which in this case must be a lot more than your trailer GVWR)

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always understood the correct inflation for a tire requires weighing the axle and then looking up the correct inflation in the manufactures data. The only time to run at max sidewall pressure is if your tire is carrying it's max rated load.

My guess is KZ weighed that configuration and checked the charts to find the correct weight and that's what they recommend. I would read into their number that the axle is carrying a load quite a bit below what it's rated for which is good.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

Jim Cindy

Northcentral, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you did not say what your RV was but I will offer my opinion. I am reasonably certain you do not know what your RV weighs on each wheel when you pull out of the driveway. I am also reasonably certain that your RV manufacturer did not make your tires and the label on your RV could have been printed by someone who never actually owned a RV. What is so difficult here, use the max cold pressure the tire manufacturer placed on the tire sidewall. It will not hurt anything. The tires can make or break your next great adventure. You might get more miles with slightly less pressure but you almost certainly will run out of safe tire life long before you wear out the tires. You can, if you want, over think every issue and detract greatly from a very enjoyable RVing experience.

PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run mine at max sidewall. Truck is at max sidewall as well (80) without any abnormal wear.

You get the max load carrying capacity at the max pressure. How close are you to be maxed out on your tires? I don't know either... I just keep it simple and keep'em full.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on several items. Especially the trailer GVWR and how many axles.
If the tires are OEM size and load range you will get a cooler running longer lasting tire on the trailer using max sidewall pressures.

If the tiree are way oversized and the trailer is small then 35 psi may be better.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I weigh each wheel and then use the tire manufacturers charts to determine proper pressure. I then add 5 psi for luck.

Probably your TT manufacturer looked up needed pressure for fully loaded TT. Thus even that pressure may be higher than you need.

Works for us. No tire issues except a few repairable nail punctures in over 200,000 miles with non-Chinese ST tires.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AV8R 130 wrote:

Probably been gone over a dozen times, so I apologize in advance. The sticker on my trailer says I should run the tires at 35 PSI. The sidewall says they're good for 50 PSI.

I've heard conflicting info on this-A friend swears I should be running closer to, if not at the 50 PSI to prevent the tires from overheating/blowout. If so, WHY would KZ tell me to run them at 35 PSI? Running them at the higher pressure makes sense to me, at 35 PSI the actually look a bit low....What do you all do with yours?

Hi AV8R,

This is not adding up. We/you need more info to base this decision on that adds up.

Can you tell us what year and model camper you have?

What is the GAWR of the TT?

What is the GVWR of the TT?

Does the tire placard declare a tire size and what is that tire size?

What tire size is on the TT?

Something does not seem to add up here and we are missing some info to help give you a better answer.

Hope this helps.

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go 5 to 10 over on all my recommended pressures not to exceed the sidewall max.
40 or 50 psi is fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tire Pressure-Sidewall number, or number on trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS