RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Coach shuts down when turn signal given.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Coach shuts down when turn signal given.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
talotto

College Station, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the master light controller, mine is on the firewall behind the brake pedal. Mine went bad and caused some similar strange symptoms when the turn signals were used. About a $500, 10 minute fix.

2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
College Station, TX

fourmat

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do you have anything in tow?

2009 Challenger

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marty,

Are you talking about a 100+ AMP vs 80 AMP resettable breaker in the 12VDC system (near the batteries)?

If that is the problem, putting a test light or voltmeter on the OUT side of the breaker would tell you if that is the issue. Very easy.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvrepairnut wrote:

Brian in Michigan wrote:

I had this happen a couple of years ago on my old beast. It was the ignition switch. I turned on my turn signal and the engine died. I went to start it back up while running and KABOOM. I barely touched the key and the engine fired back up with all of the unburned gas in the exhaust system. I kind of knew it was going bad because it ran warm.

gas verses diesel etc two entirely different situations and a bad Ignition switch will have "NO" effect on temperature

I thought it was about the engine shutting down when the turn signal was used? Just a thought.

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS, Thorley Headers B&M trans cooler. Auto meter hooked to output of trans. Flowmaster mufflers recurved distributor Still Keepin on Truckin((((Was 7.5mpg Now 8.75mpg ))))

Ron8877

Blaine, Washington or wherever we park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I read this right when the op turns on the turn signal he loses all electrical power including electrical power to run the engine. I know that it is different but I have a Kawasaki Mule that would just die for the fun of it. I haven't figured it all out yet but when this would happen nothing would work. I checked the fuses, they were good. Checked power to the ignition switch, this was good. Looked around couldn't find any obvious problem started back up and worked correctly. Well they problem happened again. I wiggled some wires and it went back to running good. Happened again , I happened to wiggle only the ground lines going to the battery, worked. So now I know when this happened I can remedy the problem by wiggling the ground wires. Need to do a real fix when I get the chance. All of this is to ask, could a bad ground cause this guys problem and the bad ground be in the turn signal wiring? Also he doesn't say what it takes to restart his rv so don't know I just think that it is either a direct short or bad ground,
Ron

Ron & Ali Workentin
www.ali1257.blogspot.com

mdock2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI
Ok, this is a answer to the post about my Dutchstar doing a complete electrical shutdown when certain electrical loads were applied.

After replacing the recommend that was posted with no luck. So, while in Iowa, I stopped by the main plant of HWH and was asking questions about the shutdown when lowering the jacks. After a few questions, it was suggested that I might want to check the main 120 breakers on the right rear rails in front of the tires, as Newmar had changed reduced the size from 100+v to 80v in the late 90's. Well, he was right, after changing the one breaker that I had not replaced, the unit runs great and no further shutdowns.

Marty (KI4NAI)& Shirley
1998,38' DutchStar F/L Cat

MEMBERSHIPS
FMCA
Bits & Bytes,
Elks International (Webmaster)
FCCC
PPA (Life Member)
Moose
ARRL-ARES
National Park Travelers Club
Visited 158 National Parks
Places we've slept since 2007

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Coach shuts down when turn signal given.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS