RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I changed my mind about a 12 volt TV.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> I changed my mind about a 12 volt TV.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Others have suggested that a 120 volt TV would be a better choice and after doing some checking I believe their advice was correct. By the way I also had my opinion changed about getting a diesel generator and after listening to the good advice of the people on this forum I got a Yamaha 4.500 KW generator.

First of all the 12 volt TVs are about double the price of a 120 volt TV.

I also read that manufactures such as Jensen (the brand I was considering) are cheaply made by some unknown manufacturer and Jensen just sticks their name on it but you eventually will wind up with an unrepairable TV. I had the same thing happen with a TV I bought at sam's club, they could not get parts to fix the set but sam's club was nice enough to send me a check for the set under extended warrantee and I used it to buy a different brans. One person mentioned that when their new TV failed it was replaced twice instead of being repaired. Eventually when the warrantee doe expire you are stuck with a TV that can't be repaired.

At this point I am looking for something around 32 inches that is able to withstand the bouncing around and is light enough to pick up and take home with me when I park the camper in storage.

I was prepared to pay about $600 for the 12 volt but I hope to be able to find something cheaper.

I have 2 Vizio 55 inch LCD TVs that are about 4 years old that I am very happy with and a 32 to 35 inch Panasonic 10 to 15 year old TV with an old fashioned picture tube that still has an excellent picture.

What brand TVs do you have in your camper that has held up well to the bouncing around in your camper?

I picked 32 inches because they aren't too heavy or expensive but I will go much larger as long as the weight stays under 35 to 40 pounds.

I am not even sure if bouncing around will have any effect on a modern solid state LCD TV but I figured I should ask to make sure before spending a few hundred bucks.

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have two sharps in our MH...a 32" and a 17". going on 3 or 4 years now and no problems.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 19" Toshiba has been fine. Probably time for me to upgrade.

Saving the $300 would pay for a small sine wave inverter to power the 120v tv and other small toys.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

bluestek

San Francisco East Bay

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Samsung

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 75 watt inverter that came as standard equipment in my dodge pickup. I also own a Black and Decker 750 watt inverter that I plan on using when I am not running the generator. The truck has two 12 volt batteries and the camper has a 12 volt deep cycle battery. Most of the 12 volt TVs seemed to use less watts than a 120 volt TV and that was the reason I wanted the 12 volt but I figure that even if I drain all 3 batteries and get stuck in BF Egypt I still can fire up the generator and connect it to a battery charger then use that to start the truck.

PS I assume the B&D will provide clean power

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 32" LG in the TT. I have it bolted to a shelf with a angle support that is bolted to the back from the shelf. I did have to drill 2 holes in the base.

The LG has an excellent picture and a strong tuner. I've used it now for 3 seasons.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 32" Sharp Aquos in our RV and working in the oil fields, it gets some bouncing between sites. Probably going to Jinx myself, but it has worked flawlessly for 3 years now.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vizio

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Samsung.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with a 19" VIZIO because it had the lowest power load we could find (20W) including 12V TVs (at a better price too). Works great and has been banged around a lot.

2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> I changed my mind about a 12 volt TV.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts