|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Closed under bellies and rodents

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mikka1

Ottawa, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my fifth wheel (Koala 30SS from Skyline)has a closed under belly prottected from the elemenets by sheets of black coroplast. Living in a forested area I share with all kind of rodents like squirrels, chipmunks and mice I have had my share of issues with them and existing existing vehicles.

Chewed wires on trailers, chipmunk nests in filter airbox, once in my Explorer and once in my wife`s Escape(ended up putting quarter inch screen on air intake.
Last and none the least, once I drove 15 miles to work, parked in the underground garage and got out of the vehicle just in time to see a big black squirrel bolting out from under the truck!

Anyway, my question is has anyone ever had any problem with rodents moving in the under belly of their trailer resulting in damage to the trailer or component? Thanks, Dan

CREATO

Beautiful Harvey N.D.

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have not had a problem in the underbelly of the fiver but a real problem with them in Washington D.C.

I dont rent out space in my brain

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they can chew through the plastic underbelly and get in there (and I'm entirely sure they can!), they will have a big party in there, for sure.

One way to prevent the problem would be to replace the plastic underbelly with light gauge sheet metal, and seal it up real good around the edges and anywhere pipes or wires pass through access holes in it.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CREATO wrote:

Have not had a problem in the underbelly of the fiver but a real problem with them in Washington D.C.

........ Now THAT was funny...........

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC Hauler wrote:

CREATO wrote:

........ Now THAT was funny...........

It was not funny but a correct statement.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in an area much like yours, we have never bad a problem because we have outdoor cats.

There is a warm dry nesting box, right next to the RV, yes we did that on purpose.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We store our trailer in a field surrounded by trees and have never had a problem with critters of any kind although we often see mice but not in the trailer.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the enclosed thermal underbody of the plastic insulation on my new Jayco Jayflight 19RD. I had field mice in my TT already. I crawled under the trailer and looked at the factory installed undercover. They didn't need to chew holes. There were gaps large enough for a cat to crawl through. There were two main areas above the front stabilizer jacks where it would have been difficult to attach it to the under body so they didn't. I pre-fabbed some metal brackets for both sides under those jacks and sealed everything off. No more mice yet. If that doesn't work I will use some sheet metal under the TT. Maybe 16 or 18 ga so it isn't too heavy.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

I have the enclosed thermal underbody of the plastic insulation on my new Jayco Jayflight 19RD. I had field mice in my TT already. I crawled under the trailer and looked at the factory installed undercover. They didn't need to chew holes. There were gaps large enough for a cat to crawl through. There were two main areas above the front stabilizer jacks where it would have been difficult to attach it to the under body so they didn't. I pre-fabbed some metal brackets for both sides under those jacks and sealed everything off. No more mice yet. If that doesn't work I will use some sheet metal under the TT. Maybe 16 or 18 ga so it isn't too heavy.
You should be able to use much thinner than that, 20-24 gauge, if you screw it to the frame cross members in the middle of the sheets to keep them from bowing down. If you want to weld them in instead of screwing them in, then 16-18 gauge would be needed to not burn up the sheet trying to weld it. I would just screw it on though, in case future access is needed for repairs.

tsetsaf

Full-Timer

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used that expanding foam insulation sold at Home Depot in the aerosal can to fill the gaps. Once dry you can trim it with a knife and it does not permanently stick to the underbelly material allowing for easy access.

'06 Dodge 3500 5.9L CTD 6spd Manual SB SRW - Pullrite SG - Ride Rite Airbags - Rickson 19.5 Steelies 150K and going strong
2014 Premier Elite 44' Fifth Wheel... calm down it is within the weight limits of my truck.
RV Park and Campground Directory

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Closed under bellies and rodents
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS