RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: North Carolina 226A % grade?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> North Carolina 226A % grade?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bluebirdPT36

xxxxxxxxxx

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is east of the Blue Ridge Pky near Little Switzerland. Anyone know what percent grade this is? Just curious> It is one of the steepest grades I have traveled.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's only about 15% with maybe a very short stretch of steeper climb. I believe the steepest point it close to 18%. It's only about 10 miles in total length and most of it isn't steep at all but when it DOES get steep it's a lot.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

davidm99

NC-FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ouch! steep and switch backs!
Next time take 226, comes out at the Mineral Museum at the BRP.
3 miles of uphill with passing lanes, not as challenging a pull. Down not an issue either.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't live too far from there, and I would never take that road again pulling a trailer.
Did it once, when 226 was closed dur to an accident, and rounding a curve, a guy came from the other side over the line, forcing me to hug the inside corner. A portion of a cliff was almost over the road, and it caught my side light, and the awening and tore them off.
Jack L

Jack & Nanci

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

It's only about 15% with maybe a very short stretch of steeper climb. I believe the steepest point it close to 18%. It's only about 10 miles in total length and most of it isn't steep at all but when it DOES get steep it's a lot.

Every bit that steep...towed it one time, (in total ignorance), with a 3/4 ton truck towing a 27' 5er....a bunch of very curvy, steep mountainous roads....reminds me of more than several mountainous very curvy roads I've towed on in WV....also places to avoid when towing ONCE you've towed them and can figure out how to "never do that again".

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live outside of Burnsville, NC in Green Mountain area and am about used to the yahoos around here taking their half out of the middle of the road and the little female "nascar drivers" drafting on my rear bumper about 6" off. I give them new meaning to the word "slow" when I let er drop down to 10-15 mph. Road is really twisty (121 turns in 7 miles) to my mail box. I'm retired and am in no hurry, but road is challanging at times, but kids have no clue being invincable at their age. I don't even get too excited about being run off the road now. JMHO

charles weidman

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:

I live outside of Burnsville, NC in Green Mountain area and am about used to the yahoos around here taking their half out of the middle of the road and the little female "nascar drivers" drafting on my rear bumper about 6" off. I give them new meaning to the word "slow" when I let er drop down to 10-15 mph. Road is really twisty (121 turns in 7 miles) to my mail box. I'm retired and am in no hurry, but road is challanging at times, but kids have no clue being invincable at their age. I don't even get too excited about being run off the road now. JMHO

If I'm not mistaken, it's referred to as the Dragons Tail? If so, been there, done that, AND, actually have a T shirt saying so

nice run, when I did it in my Chrysler Crossfire SRT6, but at almost 62 now....I gave that little car up....I'd eventually gotten a ticket to be sure...

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've gone up and down NC 226A in the Tiger (9200#) a few times, but it was more fun in the 968. Down is a bit iffy, even in low with tow-haul switched on. I was still using more brake than I liked. Going up, it's just a matter of keeping your foot in it, watching the temp gauges, and steering. NC 80 is about the same.

But from that area, I usually prefer to go up to the P'way via Brown Mountain Beach Rd thru Mortimer, Old NC 105 by Wiseman's View, or Curtis Ck Rd out of Old Fort. All three are bumpy, dusty/muddy dirt, but very scenic, especially in the fall.

Jim, "In my day, there were _nine_ planets."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> North Carolina 226A % grade?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS