RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Worn tire question.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Worn tire question.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Chippendale

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LostinAZ wrote:

We had both tires do that on one axle. First thought it might be alignment but upon close inspection determined that the Mission brand tires were developing tread separation. Replacement tires have been on over 10,000 miles with no unuasual tire wear issues or similar issues.

These are the American made Goodyear tires that replaced the Missions that fell apart in the second year. I had a mobile RV repair guy service my wheel bearings last spring, so I am leaning toward taking it to the heavy duty trailer alignment place and have them check for loose wheel bearings. The tire seems to be straight, as compared to the tire in front of it, so I don't think anything is bent, at least I hope not.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the exact same problem. One tire only, rear drivers side inside of tire wear only.
Took it to the local alignment shop and the axle was bent.
After the straightening we do not seem to have the problem any longer.
The cost was cheap. $125.00. We mounted our spare on the area that the axle was straightened and that way we can see if it will happen again.
A possible cause as pointed out at the alignment shop is that this is the way that most of us back up either into a campsite or at home and a lot of pressure is put on that back drivers side tire. Could be maybe???
Hope that this helps.

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
Honda EUi2000

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, I would carefully look at all the suspension parts. Replace anything that is worn. This may correct the problem.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alignment no doubt.

AZ T&T

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same tire wear and it was a bent axle.

AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

LostinAZ

At Home

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chippendale wrote:

LostinAZ wrote:

We had both tires do that on one axle. First thought it might be alignment but upon close inspection determined that the Mission brand tires were developing tread separation. Replacement tires have been on over 10,000 miles with no unuasual tire wear issues or similar issues.

These are the American made Goodyear tires that replaced the Missions that fell apart in the second year. I had a mobile RV repair guy service my wheel bearings last spring, so I am leaning toward taking it to the heavy duty trailer alignment place and have them check for loose wheel bearings. The tire seems to be straight, as compared to the tire in front of it, so I don't think anything is bent, at least I hope not.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

You don't need to go to the expense of taking the RV to a HD alignement place to determine if the wheel bearings are loose. Just carefully jack up each wheel(make sure you know how to do this properly) so that it is completely free from any weight on it. Then try to tilt the wheel top vs bottom or side vs side. If there is any play noticeable at all the wheel bearings are too loose.

CactusJohn

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had excessive wear on the outside of my front curb-side tire. Turned out it was a bent axle spindle. The axle shop told me that a bent spindle usually causes wear on the inside, so mine was an exception to the general rule. They also said my bent spindle was probably caused by some sort of impact. I didn't remember hitting anything, including a pothole, but we don't always feel those things unless the TV hits it also.

2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5er
2012 F250 Lariat SuperCab, 6.7L PSD
PullRight SuperGlide

Howaboutnow

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What brand of tire is this? A tire beginning to fail can create this wear pattern.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Worn tire question.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS