|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> water filter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
smdallas

Chatham, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

has anyone used the inline water filter from walmart? I know in most cases a water filter is not a nescessity but I do like to have clean water and for 24 bucks for 2 years worth of filter, I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

jrw1550

Lithopolis, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one my first year camping and it worked OK, The next year I went to Menard's and bought a whole house filter for 10 bucks and 2 filters for about 2 bucks. I had to buy 2 spur fittings, 2 hose clamps and a white RV water hose. I think it was about 25 bucks total. I hook this up outside my camper between the water hookup on the camper to the faucet at the site. Each year now I buy a water filter package of 2 filters on sale for about 2 or 3 bucks, and I get one to compliment the water filter in the camper under the sink. So if you buy the Walmart one every 2 years for 24 bucks, my outlay is about 5 or 6 bucks. Just sounded like a better deal to me, plus it gave me the chance to make something which I love to do.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 years of use??

If you get 2 years of use out of those filters then you don't need a filter cause the water is pretty dang clean.

As above......whole house filter. Cheaper, easy set up, better choice of filter types and better flow rates.

BigDaddyHfx

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope they're good - just bought one tonight for our first RV.

smdallas

Chatham, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the 2 year estimate that I am going off of is from the package, says that each filter will last for about a year of camping.
@jrm: do you connect the regulator before or after the filter?
Thanks

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the WalMart filter, works great and it is easy to use.

God Bless,
Kevin & Tracy
1993 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow, 30', Ford 460...Still on the road!
My Blog

kfc

SC

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been using the Wal Mart filter for the past several years. We still use a brita pitcher at some campgrounds if the water taste bad. I've been thinking of making the switch to the whole house filter...I think it would do a better job. We replace it every year. Sometimes twice a year if we go to the beach.

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replace my Walmart filter every year. I don't think it's anything special, but it works. If you get one, flush the heck out of it before you use it, unless you like "carbonated" water.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchase my filter cartridges that go in my whole house filter, from either Walmart or Lowes. Good for one year or 10,000 gallons of water but they have a lower flow rate than the more expensive filters from the manufacturer. At half the price they're good enough for me.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

DodgeVoltage

Nanjemoy, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 05:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the recommendation of a campground host, I have a double whole house filter system. One cannister holds a particle filter while the second cannister holds a carbon filter. The carbon filter is for the taste of the water. I have them hooked together with a short piece of copper tubing with hose fittings on the input and output sides. I hang them in a 5 gallon bucket wrapped in that silver insulation, Reflectix. When the temps go below freezing, I put a trouble light in the bucket that is on a thermostat turning it on at 35 degrees. Keeps the filters from freezing. I also run a Culligan in-line filter attached to the inlet on the camper. May sould like overkill, but I have been living in two campgrounds since December and for some reason the water has been rusty at times when you first turn it on and the filters also fill up with an orange slime. Have to change the filters each month. Just trying to keep it out of my plumbing. So far, so good.

2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Passion for Two
2003 Suzuki Intruder 1500LC Cruiser
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing