|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 460 Ford in Class A dies

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
yellowdog101

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1989 29' Georgie Boy Cruisemaster with John Deere chassis and 460 Ford carberated gas motor. I got it last summer and drove it 550 miles before the motor blew while I was still on the way home. It had 72,000 miles on it and ran great until it blew 80 miles from home.
Now I have a new rebuilt motor and it has a problem. The first day (last Thursday) I drove in town and put about 10 miles on it. It ran good but did pop (like a back fire) once. Yesterday we were load and took off the the lake 60 miles away for a test drive and weekend of camping. 8 miles from home the motor poped once or twice then died. We got pulled back to town and to the truck mechanic who installed the rebuilt motor. He got it running but didn't know what he did. (We did put a new coil on it while we were stalled 8 miles out.)
We took off for the lake again and made it about 20 miles. It died again and AAA pulled us home. Last night after it was cooled of it still wouldn't start but this morning it starts right up. The temp was running about 218 acording to the gauge but I don't think it is heat related because it won't start sometimes after setting and cooling down. Looks like several people have messed with wiring as there are "rats nests" everywhere. Even wires going to the coil have been spliced.
The 550 miles I drove with the old motor it ran 220 degrees on the gauge,
I welcome any ideas of where to look for a solution to the problem.
thanks in advance. First MH and really looking forward to being able to use it.
Ronnie

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you had the FUEL presure checked. My old 460 would "POP" just before my pump went bad.
Ron

masa4u.com

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are so many things that can cause this, including those mentioned above. Don't forget to check if the gas tank vent is plugged, or the wrong gas cap, which will cause a vacuum to build in the tank as you use fuel from it. After a short time, the fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum in the tank, so the motor will quit. Remove the gas cap and see if that allows it to restart right away.

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

yellowdog101

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home Skillet wrote:

More than likely, the ignition module is bad.

Usually when it won't start you can pour water on the module to cool it off enough to get it running.

I will try to find the ignition module. There is nothing coming out of the coil when it won't start. Then all of a sudden it works.
I had lots of gas coming out of the jets looking through the carb wth the air cleaner off. Of course that was sitting still and after sitting a while. I will keep the fuel and gas cap in mind.
I am going to find and replace the module. I am going to replace disturbutor cap and rotor too just because.
If I replace all of that and it works, I really won't know what the problem was BUT it will work and that stuff is all new.
thanks again....

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the ignition module. Look on the back for any signs of bubbling in the silicone sealer.

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,SmarTire,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More than likely, the ignition module is bad.

Usually when it won't start you can pour water on the module to cool it off enough to get it running.

yellowdog101

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home Skillet wrote:

Here's the ignition module. Look on the back for any signs of bubbling in the silicone sealer.

thank you, I'll look in the morning. I think I bought some ignition parts for one of my Studebakers from a guy in Pearland TX.... :-)

Jerry B

Lake of the Ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dog, how did they pull the motor out of your RV? Where did you get the rebuild? Good luck with your problem. Thanks.

Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

yellowdog101

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry B wrote:

Hey Dog, how did they pull the motor out of your RV? Where did you get the rebuild? Good luck with your problem. Thanks.

A diesel truck shop did the swap. They took the front axle and wheels and tires out and took the motor out of the bottom. Labor was $1600 including $75 starter and about $75 worth of gaskets that the rebuilder supplied but where wrong. I think the rebuilder was "rebuilders.com" but not recommended. I paid $2550 and found a place on eBay same price and perfect feedback. I was told mine would be shipped right away and it took 5 weeks to ship.
good luck with yours

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would bet money on the ign module. There were so many problems with them that a Ca. judge tried to force a recall (bringing to question, just how much authority he has).

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 460 Ford in Class A dies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS