|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 460 Ford in Class A dies

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to read my story here it is:

460 dies after 20 miles.

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my 1984 Ford 460 with a carb did the same thing I also tried all of the above suggestions and nothing worked. I eventually found low voltage to the fuel pump, I was only getting about 8 volts dc. I ran a jumper wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump, with a fuse and drove a thousand miles home with no more problems. I implemented a permanent fix with new fused and switched wiring to the fuel pump when I got home.

I have since helped another Rver on the side of the road and it was the same problem. That old coach wiring has lots of resistance, relays and safety switches in the system.

Please let us know the outcome and good luck, it is very frustrating to have an intermittent problem.

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

yellowdog101

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John&Joey wrote:

If you want to read my story here it is:

460 dies after 20 miles.

thanks, That was interesting reading. I will let you know what my problem is when I find it. I sort of think my problem is electrical and before the coil...

yellowdog101

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grillmeister wrote:

When my 1984 Ford 460 with a carb did the same thing I also tried all of the above suggestions and nothing worked. I eventually found low voltage to the fuel pump, I was only getting about 8 volts dc. I ran a jumper wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump, with a fuse and drove a thousand miles home with no more problems. I implemented a permanent fix with new fused and switched wiring to the fuel pump when I got home.

I have since helped another Rver on the side of the road and it was the same problem. That old coach wiring has lots of resistance, relays and safety switches in the system.

Please let us know the outcome and good luck, it is very frustrating to have an intermittent problem.

I thought I had a mechanical fuel pump. Guess I can hook a voltmeter to the electric pump and monitor that. thanks

SoakedKarma

Reno neh-va-duh

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignition module could be the problem Deere/Freightliner Gaffney # RW23649 but I would also suspect the distributor pickup coil which is a Ford part #.. Gaffney # refers to the Gaffney South Carolina truck assy plant.. My numbers come from 89 John Deere vehicle chassis parts catalog of which I have original.. I have upgraded to higher quality NON oil bath ignition coil.. Hope you have newer Holly carb as backfire will blow out the power valve in the old holly carbs.. Fuel filler cap must be vented type standard ford screw in.. My unit has external fuel pump and filter just forward of fuel tank. I did upgrade fuel pump wiring relay.. Motor home manufacture slices and dices the under dash wiring something terrible to accommodate their custom dash and power accessories. I can also give you a breakdown on your VIN # as to which of the three chassis they built you have.. most likely you have a RV1200 chassis due to it's year.. PM me if interested.. chassis manual could still be ordered from Deere as of a couple of years ago but the web site was nearly impossible to find. somewhere i have saved the URL and will look for it..

1989 38' Elite by Elite Coach Corp.
Ford 460cid C6 w/Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive 2 speed-transmission
208" WB John Deere RV 1200 Chassis air bag tag axle.
21,000 GVW
1987 Honda cmx250c Rebel

SoakedKarma

Reno neh-va-duh

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

M-Line - Parts Diagram Index Knew I had it saved somewhere.. Its a solid chassis.

Parts Catalog RW23901 page indicates it can still be ordered

save these URLs in a safe place as I never did find the parts catalog order page with a google search or J. Deere search and had lost the link at one time..

My original parts manual has both PC-2109 and RW23901 printed on the cover.. RW23901 is the updated version and is indicated as having a CD version... Component Technical Manual RW23901CD

Hope this helps.

Dang I don't like the online Parts Diagram Index as it gives no part numbers or nomenclature or the few first pages with engine/transmission model plate breakdown nor VIN#/chassis serial # breakdown. Chassis Parts can be ordered through Freightliner engine components through Ford.. If you get a real good counter man.. have had some young kids scratch their heads even when I had placed parts catalog in front of their noses. It was an old timer that educated me on the Gaffney numbers contained in my parts catalog and how they could be cross referenced..

* This post was last edited 04/10/12 11:49pm by SoakedKarma *   View edit history

yellowdog101

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the OP and think my problem is solved. I replaced the ignition module and drove it about 50 miles today. That is more miles than it has run since the rebuilt. NO popping/back firing and it did not die.
I also changed the fan clutch because the fan run for a while after the motor was shut off. I thought it would bring my temputure down but it is still 218 according to the gauge. That is the same as with the original motor also.
I want to thank everyone for the help. It did help and made the fix, easy.....

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting the results and not leaving us hanging.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

straycat59

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Belated reply. But I had same problem. Replaced module and still kept dying. Took it to Reno, NV shop. They replaced my I tank fuel pump. Never had problem again.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear you're back in business. Thanks for posting the conclusion, I wish others that ask for help would do the same.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 460 Ford in Class A dies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS