|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> new guy question on finding parks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of excellent suggestions here, but your original comment on now that you have a fifth wheel you have to be more selective on hookups, etc. There is nothing better than using the full capacity of your self contained unit to go camping. The joy is being to go anywhere you can maneuver it and fit because you're towing everything you need - water, holding tanks, propane for cooking and heating. We enjoy dispersed camping more than RV parks and avoid them as much as possible. When we want hookups we opt for state campgrounds. Enjoy!

* This post was edited 04/08/12 02:43pm by ReneeG *

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a two volume set of 'Don Wrights Guide to Free and Under $12.00 a night campgrounds" with me at all times. It is my primary means of locating camping opportunities. If I can't LOCATE a campground near where I want to stay I get out my Passport America book and find the nearest Passport RV Park. The only time I stay in RV parks is when a campground is not available.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

www.woodalls.com

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

phenrichs

Watertown, SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a related question, What is the best method you have found for locating privately owned campgrounds?

Some of our favorites have been the mom-and-pop places. Unfortunately most of the sites and apps focus primarily on public locations. I do love our State and National Parks but it is nice to get to places with full hookups once in a while.

2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phenrichs wrote:

On a related question, What is the best method you have found for locating privately owned campgrounds?

Some of our favorites have been the mom-and-pop places. Unfortunately most of the sites and apps focus primarily on public locations. I do love our State and National Parks but it is nice to get to places with full hookups once in a while.

Have you looked at the sites listed in this thread? All but one or two are listings for privately owned campgrounds.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI,
We usually start with rvparkreviews.com to be sure the facilities meet our needs. We also check with Passport America to see if any coincide. Depending on the park, we may call ahead to be sure they can fit our 38' FW.

I know what you mean about going from tents to a rig - we used to be able to set-up in any spot, now it takes a bit more planning.

Have fun!

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

I carry a two volume set of 'Don Wrights Guide to Free and Under $12.00 a night campgrounds" with me at all times. It is my primary means of locating camping opportunities. If I can't LOCATE a campground near where I want to stay I get out my Passport America book and find the nearest Passport RV Park. The only time I stay in RV parks is when a campground is not available.
These are great books, however I suspect they are out of print since the price for them on Amazon is out of sight - a new copy of the Western one is $114.95! I guess I have quite an investment since even used is going for $44.96!

Amazon does list a 14th edition that appears to combine the West & East with a publication date of June, 2011, but it doesn't seem to be available, at least at Amazon.

As to private campgrounds, the Woodalls book is good as long as you can deal with all the ads, inserts, etc. I just found out that AAA has dropped their campbooks and is now using Woodalls. Too bad, I liked the AAA version.

As to apps, the AllStays Camp & RV app has filters that can be used to select the type of campground you want. I use it when traveling off season to find year round campgrounds.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

Hemicbx

York, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is an awesome set of responses. Thanks to all! I've seen one or two before, but there are ton's of new ones to investigate here.

Thanks again everyone

ReneeG, your point is very valid and we do intend to do some "un-tetheered" camping at a few places that we like to ride dirt bikes (my 5er is a toy hauler). I need to get a small gen first though.

-Mike

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer Life directory when on the road winging it, rvparkreviews when planning a "planned" trip or an extended stay somewhere.

I have a couple of free campground finding iOS apps (from GS affiliates) and at least one I paid for, but they are on an iPod Touch so I need a wifi connection to the Internet to use them. They'd be more useful on a phone.

In Texas I also use the state's Public Campgrounds guide, in Oklahoma and Arkansas a state published outdoor recreation guide that lists both public and privately owned facilities.

In most states an association of RV park and campground owners (sometime marina owners get in on it) publishes a guide to the facilities owned by members. I use those too, where I find them. Usually the name is something containing ARVA or ARCA, but in Texas it is TACO.

I stop at information centers when I enter a new state, or return to one I haven't visited for a while, to see which of these guides are available. They sometimes also have a rack full of brochures from individual parks, campgrounds, and marinas.

* This post was edited 04/08/12 04:24pm by tatest *

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This link is the best site that I have found for finding campgrounds in a location -

http://www.epgsoft.com/CampgroundMap/

You put in a state or a city/town in a state and then look at the map - all campgrounds - commercial and public are shown with symbols on the map - and you can enlarge the view and see others further out. Each symbol contains a link to RVparkreviews and you can get the details about the campground. All nice and easy - and right there. The site also works on an Android browser on a smartphone.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> new guy question on finding parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: