RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Got a 2000 Coachmen Paint Code?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Got a 2000 Coachmen Paint Code?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Wiz

Seacoast NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2000 Coachmen Santara 311SB which has tan/beige metallic painted below the belt line. I'm trying to find out what the paint code is. The sticker on the cab door post shows:
Order Number 6082
Paint Code 18U
Ref# 50540
According to paintref.com that should be a silver sage metallic. What I have is not silver, it's much more of a metallic taupe. I'm pretty sure almost all 2000 Coachmens had the same color on the bottom. Does anyone else have this color but with a different code?

Thanks!
Paul

2000 Coachmen Santara 311sb, towing a 2004 Honda CR-V.
Paul, Cindy, and Jameson

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five years (although from another era) buying and matching automotive paints for a body shop, all I can say is that what the marketing guys call the color doesn't tell you what it is going to look like. One man's taupe can be another man's sage. What color is sage, anyway? We had sage greens, sage browns, sage reds and sage oranges.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Wiz

Seacoast NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tatest wrote:

Five years (although from another era) buying and matching automotive paints for a body shop, all I can say is that what the marketing guys call the color doesn't tell you what it is going to look like. One man's taupe can be another man's sage. What color is sage, anyway? We had sage greens, sage browns, sage reds and sage oranges.

I agree, they must stay up nights coming up with the names. I looked at a can of touch up paint though and it wasn't even close. It was silver.

Wiz

Seacoast NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks AstroRig57! I think your color is a lighter more gold color than mine. I went by Pep Boys and looked a can of perfect match. I called Coachmen today and left a message but they haven't returned my call.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I'm painting my house's exterior, I got several small solid-color stain samples from Home Depot for $3 each. I mentioned to a mechanic friend how impressed I was with the matching / mixing system. He informed me that a lot of auto body shops have a similar system.

So you might want to call some body shops, find one with the matching system, ask the cost of a small sample, and take it there. Unlike buying from a paint code, fading would be taken into account.

Jim, "I still miss Pluto."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 12:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before Coachmen was bought by Forest River they had all kinds of parts documents available online. I downloaded the full color charts for the entire 2005 model year as well as charts which showed the colors, and part numbers, for all of my decals.

Your color looks like the same as is on the bottom of the body and bumper of my 2005 Freelander...though with variations in monitors, color rendering, etc., I can't be sure.

My color chart is listed below.

Unit Name FREELANDER Color Scheme DESERT SAND Part Number 60451 Color Name DESERT SAND METALLIC Universal Number 4Q2 Manufacturer Type 04 TOYOTA

Way back when....I wrote to Coachmen and asked what the 60451 part number referrred to and they responded,

"The paint code for the gold color on the bottom of your coach is a Sherwin Williams paint color of Desert Sand and it is code Number 60451."

4Q2 refers to the Toyota paint code for Desert Sand Mica and Desert Sage Mica which is used on various 2000-2010 Toyota Models. I found the equivalent Duplicolor "Perfect Match" touch up, BTY1610 in 8 oz cans, at Pep Boys. It was a perfect match for my coach. I'd love to give you the Pep Boys SKU off the can but I believe the can is in the motorhome, which is pretty well buried in snow right now.

2005 31' Coachmen Freelander 3150SS, Stargazer II - Mobile Astronomy Unit
Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

Wiz

Seacoast NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AstroRig57, Coachmen returned my call and confirmed that that is the right color. Now I'm trying to find it locally in a spray can. Duplicolor doesn't have that in their stock list. I can order online but it's pricey. I'm going to call NAPA tomorrow to see what they have. I was told they can match any color.

oldkeywest91

ForkedRiver,NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes that is the color.It is from the Jeep color code.I had my Santara coded at a shop with the lazer gun and that ia the color that came up.Used it to repaint a motorcycle trailer to match MH.

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/12 03:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry mine didn't work. You're right. The 50540 comes back as Sherwin Williams Silver Sage and the 18U comes back to many shades of Silver for any number of GM brand models and years.

Results for 18U can be found here on the Sherwin Williams automotive paint site. http://sw.formulaexpress.com/SearchResul........rCode=True&ShowModels=False&SearchType=3

..and 50540 here:

http://sw.formulaexpress.com/SearchResul........=490&CompetitorNumber=50540&SearchType=2

I found this Googling Sherwin Williams Paint Code 50540

Quote:

Coachmen RV
Sherwin-Williams Refinish
Color Code(s) Location:
• Present-1999: Color code(s) are located on a label near the driver’s side “A” pillar or inside a cabinet located above the driver’s side seat.
How to Obtain the Color Code(s):
• Color code(s) can be obtained by calling Coachmen RV @ 800-453-6064 with the Coachmen serial number.
Serial Number Location:
• The Coachmen seventeen-digit serial number is located on a label near the driver’s side “A” pillar. The serial number will start with 1TC.
Color Formulas:
• 2007-2004 formulas are available via the Sherwin-Williams website, ACI (Branches), PaintTrak, PaintLogic and Sherwin-Williams Customer Service (800-798-5872).
• Formulas prior to 2004 can be obtained by calling Rollie Williams Paint Spot @ 574-262-5050.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Got a 2000 Coachmen Paint Code?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS