|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Husky Hitch Failure- Update

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of you may have followed on my last Thread titled Dual-Cam= Fail

Well, I have some updates for everyone.

My boys, my Father in law and I were looking at new RV's at a local dealership today. I had called and spoke with the owner yesterday and he told me he had some used round bar hitches that he could sell me for a very good price.

He had the used hitches put together in a corner of his shop.

I noticed a Trunnion hitch head with the logo "Draw-Tite", I found the bars for it and found that they were the "Draw-Tite" 1200 lb WD bars with the crooks in the end. Woo Hoo.

We discussed a deal and I became the proud owner of a new to me Draw-Tite Trunnion hitch...

This particular hitch head is in very good condition, even though it is the older trunnion hitch head, it is in fantastic shape.

As part of the deal I got a huge drop shank! I don't need it, but maybe in the future.. LOL

Here is a picture comparing the new Draw-Tite to the Old Husky trunnion hitch. The Draw-Tite Is BEEFY. Draw-Tite on the left... worn out husky on the right.

Look at the bottom lugs of the two hitches, the Husky has about half or LESS material on the bottom trunnion lug. I don't think that the Draw-Tite will have the same issue.

Notice the 1 inch rise ball? This is very handy for getting the trunnion bars the clearance under the dual cam U-Bolts (I am using the older style). And yes, this ball is rated for more than the GVWR of my TT.

My Awesome new bars before I took of the chains so that I can use it with my Dual-Cam Sway Control

Here is the label for my new hitch head. V-5 I think is good. Not really sure though. I must note that the way the Trunnion bars mount into the hitch head is a God Send! I don't have to thread them through the middle of the hitch head like the Husky!!

Here is a shot comparing the ends of the WD bars together, Straight bars with the cam adapters, and the Draw-Tite bars with the cam hooks built in.

After a lot of measuring, adding and taking away washers, etc, adjusting the cam arms to seat correctly in the bends, everything is working great!

Here is a final shot of my set up, no clearance issues (thanks to the 1 inch rise ball). I ended up with less head tilt than with the Husky and five links on the chains. The front end is within half an inch of stock configuration.

Initial tow report is, excellent, Namely no trunnion bars being ripped out of WEAK and WORN hitch heads, The dual-cam sway control is dialed in and, well, it works very well when set up correctly.

As a final note on this very long post.

in the "Pile of hitches" the RV dealer had, there was one hitch head that had experienced a failure at the top of this hitch where the ball mounts, it was cracked and bent down. It looked like the hitch had taken way to much weight in WC mode. The RV dealer said that he thought that the owner had used the hitch for a very heavy Tongue weight trailer in WC mode, but the owner "Swore up and down" that he used the WD bars.

Ironically, that hitch was also a Trunnion style Husky hitch head, very similar to mine. (not throwing down on Husky, just sharing experience.)

Thanks!

Jeremiah

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

Need-A-Vacation

Mi

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you are all set now! Gotta love the DC!

Chris

2013 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT 4x4 6.0/6spd/3.73
2001 Dutchmen 28BH-SSL
Reese Dual Cam
1987 Yellowstone Ceville 425 RG-Sold, but not forgotten!

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 02:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice score there, looks like you got a very good hitch system.

I agree, the Husky lower pockets for the bars do look decidedly less beefy than the Draw-Tite. The built-in hook shapes in the new bars I would agree are a better solution than the bolt-on adapters on your old bars.

Have fun with the new hitch! Glad you got it all dialed in.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got it sorted out. now go out and enjoy it!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to see you got it worked out.

I'm running Draw-tite 1200 bars and a Reese head - no problem.

Smooth towing is in your cards!

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

93Cobra2771

East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent!

Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think mine is very quiet considering all the gear involved. I grease the trunion heads in the sockets and the ball. All I hear is the thunk thunk when the bars move in/out of the dual cams.

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice find. Now just do not jump at every little creak and pop. These hitches tend to make a lot of noise and it may take you a little while to be able to relax once you get use to the "usual" and "normal" noise.

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eric james wrote:

I think mine is very quiet considering all the gear involved. I grease the trunion heads in the sockets and the ball. All I hear is the thunk thunk when the bars move in/out of the dual cams.

I think so too.

Now the difference between the ad on cam adaptors and the new crook in the bars is significant.

The old ad on cam adaptors were LOUD, but the new spring bars is just like you said. Thunk, Thunk. Much quieter than my old Dual friction sway control too.

I am very satisfied with the ride.

I am not sure what my "Actual" tongue weight is, but the new bars help my truck ride much firmer, like stock.

The old 1000 lb bars had significant flex in them when under Weight Distribution, and when riding down the road the truck was "bouncy."

With the draw-tite hitch things are much less bouncy and much firmer.

Maybe its in my head, but my new set up makes me feel much more in control.

Thanks!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Husky Hitch Failure- Update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS