|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Plumbing mystery

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tomthyme

Flower Mound, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 01:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here is one for you...
I left the Cameo today about 4 pm city water connected, 1/2 tank of fresh water and about 1/3 in the grey tank. DW and I returned 8 hrs later to a small puddle under the rig. I opened the service door to find the fresh water overflow outlet putting out water. I opened the fresh water fill cap and water gushed out until the pressure was released. I checked the tank levels and found the fresh water was completely full and the grey tank was 2/3 full. I drainD off 1/3 of the fresh tank and turned off the city water to be sure we didn't have further issues.

I also looked into the plumbing area to find water on the floor. It looked as though the water was dripping from the fresh water overflow line.

So how did all this happen? Is this some campground prank?

I cleaned the tanks earlierumm the day and used the black tank wash feature, but I am so confused.

Thank you for any ideas you have.

Tom

jnharley

Anywhere, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every time we leave the RV, we turn off the water at the city water connection. We also never leave the pump on. We have read too many instances of things happening when the water is left on. It is a thing to turn the water back on, but gives us peace of mind while we are away from the RV. I cannot imagine how you ended up with all the water in the tanks unless you had some sort of malfunction or a valve in the wrong position.

2012 Dodge Dually
2012 Nu WA Discover America 355CK

JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the anti back-flow feature on your pump may have failed .... if so, it allowed city water to flow from the water lines, back through the pump and into the fresh water tank ... as to how it got into the gray tank, the only thing I can think of is the water level in that tank may have been right on the edge of activating the second sensor .... if so, it would only take a little additional gray water added while you were testing to activate the light

Jim

'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some rigs have a "Fresh water fill" valve. This is used to fill the freshwater tank when hooked to city water. My valve is near the water pump. If left "ON", it could/would create the situation you described. Check to see if you have that valve.

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JEBar wrote:

the anti back-flow feature on your pump may have failed .... if so, it allowed city water to flow from the water lines, back through the pump and into the fresh water tank ... as to how it got into the gray tank, the only thing I can think of is the water level in that tank may have been right on the edge of activating the second sensor .... if so, it would only take a little additional gray water added while you were testing to activate the light

Jim
X2

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My freshwater pump has an integrated check valve that can & has leaked. When we first got the trailer I noticed a slow drip from the open drain valve on the fresh water tank. There was some construction debris in the check valve & once flushed out, it was fine. This would be the first place I would look.

JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidKaye wrote:

Some rigs have a "Fresh water fill" valve. This is used to fill the freshwater tank when hooked to city water.

Sidney

if so equipped, that is most certainly a viable possibility

Jim

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbbls wrote:

JEBar wrote:

Jim
X2

X3 We never leave the campsite for that long and leave the water on , we always turn the water off at the water supply and also turn off the water pump if we are dry camping as well as the water heater. check your check valve on your city supply. You may want to look into battery operated leak dectors I have them under each sink and at the water pump in case something leaks and we are around the trailer we will know before we damage the wood floor or carpet. You could also leave your fresh water tank drain open when connected to city water if you see it draining you know you have a problem, good luck and safe travels

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The check valve in your fresh water pump is defective. The tank is just a coincidence.

A good habit to get into is shutting off the fresh water when the rig is being left for any period of time. My wife calls me paranoid but I've read too many "waterfall from the camper" stories for me to care about her teasing.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

greende

Syracuse,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbbls wrote:

JEBar wrote:

Jim
X2

X3

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Plumbing mystery
Search:   Advanced Search