RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues: Blood Thinner

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tazymae

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband is on warfarin and he needs is blood checked every two weeks. We are leaving tomorrow for about 4 weeks. Is there any place he can go to get his blood checked and then I can call his doctor with the results?? I know this is short notice and I should have taken care of this sooner. Any help is appreciated

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When DH was on warfarin, we used Lab Corp exclusively. You will need to get some prescriptions for the specific test your doctor requires. We got those every year from our doctor. He would write out as many as we thought we needed. When it was time for a blood test, we would look up Lab Corp on line and find one near us. We would walk in, present his prescription and insurance info and they would draw the blood. They send the results to the doctor. You will need the doctor's fax number. We did this for almost six years as we full time. It worked well.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scotties, Butterscotch & Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2003 Sport Trac Toad
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on your insurance and who they cover, there are many places you could go. I'd call them first and get a referral or at least a referral letter. Often times they will not release the results to YOU (the patient) but may insist that they call your coagulation therapist himself. Getting that referral letter from him will speed things up a whole lot and simplify insurance matters at lot.

Note that there can be a HUGE difference in how different organizations handle reporting INR. Some have a simple stick mechanism like a blood glucose kit and give you immediate results (my regular doctors do this) and others I've found have to actually draw a vial of blood and send it to a lab for processing which can take up to a week to get the results. Your anti coagulation theropist can probably point you to the most convenient place in the area you're heading for and save a bunch of hit and miss results. I would also recommend you KNOW what your protimes are supposed to be in case there is a significant wait to get results. Also get a contact number from the organization you use because I've found more cases than not, where what you ask them to do is far different than what happens and you need to be prepared to get in touch when your doctors don't receive the results you were promised they'd get.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife checks her blood and calls in the results. If it is low or high the message gets to the heart doc and his coumadin girl calls us to change the dose.
chevman.

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

CREATO

Beautiful Harvey N.D.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been on coumadin since I was eighteen I only test monthly. As stated you will need prescriptions from a dockter you can go to most any clinic or hospital to have a protime done. You then wil want them to send the results to your dockter this can be done via eail or fax, the Doc. can then eail or fax your prescription to a pharmacy you want to use.

Dont know why the little faces are coming up on email

I dont rent out space in my brain

Tazymae

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all so much...it is getting old.....

RamTX

Houston Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've taken warfarin for years now. Recently, Quest Labs has apparently started entering prescriptions into a computer database which is accessible to Quest labs in various locations so that you can go to any Quest Lab and get your Pt test. I do not know if this is a nation way system or not. My doctor sends them a standing order for six months at a time. I also know that some doctors can directly submit an order for lab tests directly into the Labcorp system. I would check both labs to see if your doctor can just submit a standing order to either Quest or Labcorp that could be used nation-wide.

2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

Retired Wileys

Lake Jackson, Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My doc changed me to Pradaxa and it does not require monthly blood draws. I love it.

Herschal & Pam Wiley
2003 2500HD Crewcab Chevy
26H 2000 Prowler LS w/slide

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tazymae wrote:

Thank you all so much...it is getting old.....

Have you looked at the alternative?
As a Christiian I do have an alternative but I still enjoy the Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren here on earth.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

sh410

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e(colon)mail = (colon)m = emoticon

try either email, used most commonly, or e-mail

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS