RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Backing Up Going Down a Steep Hill????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Backing Up Going Down a Steep Hill????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Letting it get going too fast and then trying to stop and turn and same time doesn't work out so great.

We both know, going backwards with a trailer, down a low traction hill, and applying the brakes can, and will make the front tires lockup, and slide causing loss of steering control.

What I learned at a mountain CG with a steep grave road. Set the park brake on the TV, Not too tight, But enough so that the rear wheels, which is where the park brake applies, help with braking. You will then get your front wheels back, and have steering control. I learned this as I was failing to back into a campsite, The CG owner standing there watching, Said. Put on the park brake, and you wil get the front end back. I did, and it worked. I backed right into the site no problem.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Letting it get going too fast and then trying to stop and turn and same time doesn't work out so great.

We both know, going backwards with a trailer, down a low traction hill, and applying the brakes can, and will make the front tires lockup, and slide causing loss of steering control.

What I learned at a mountain CG with a steep grave road. Set the park brake on the TV, Not too tight, But enough so that the rear wheels, which is where the park brake applies, help with braking. You will then get your front wheels back, and have steering control. I learned this as I was failing to back into a campsite, The CG owner standing there watching, Said. Put on the park brake, and you wil get the front end back. I did, and it worked. I backed right into the site no problem.
Thanks! I'll try that next time!

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

portablevcb

Tijeras, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other difficult part about backing down a hill is being able to pull forward again to correct mistakes in backing. Not as simple as it sounds.

The reason I have a 4wd truck is just to get up my driveway when it is wet/muddy. Taking on a trailer in less than ideal conditions is a disaster. When I had the 2wd truck I almost lost the trailer twice due to lack of traction.

I am also lucky that I can back up the hill to park the trailer. For me that is easier than backing down hill.

2009 Dodge 2500 Double Cab Cummins
2003 Skyline Nomad 24ft Fiver
Me and Wife
Maggie the Old English Sheepdog

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another thought. I haven't tried it, just thinking about the problem.
I have a Prodigy brake controller. It has a manual lever to engage the trailer brakes manually. It also has several settings for applying more or less trailer braking for a given pressure on the brake pedal.
So your brake controller MAY have the ability to let you manually apply trailer brakes, or temporarily set greater pressure.

Again, haven't tried it. Am I way off base, or does this seem reasonable for the situation?

Cheers,

Larie Trippet
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2008 Fuzion 302
2014 BMW R1200GSA

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, most brake controllers allow the operator to manually apply only the trailer brakes by themselves. Most also allow the operator to increase the voltage to the trailer brakes in normal operation.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Backing Up Going Down a Steep Hill????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS