RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towables are up and MHs are down in 2011 and 2012

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Towables are up and MHs are down in 2011 and 2012

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having bought an older, used DP last year I occasionally look at the NADA Guide to see how my "investment" is doing. Whenever possible, I also look at recent sales at PPL to compare them to the NADA.

IMHO at the time we signed a contract for our MH, ~18 months ago, prices were so depressed that most units seemed to be selling for close to NADA Low Retail, even though that designation is intended for units in poor condition. Since then I believe NADA has adjusted its prices so its Average Retail more accurately reflects the average selling price.

It's probably worth noting that NADA has a footnote that goes something like "units in much better than average condition may sell for a lot more than these prices."

If I use my logic to examine the price I paid for a MH that had been garaged and was in mint condition, I paid just a fraction over Low Retail and now I would argue that Average Retail more accurately reflects its value without consideration of whether it should have a price premium because of its condition and upgrades.

I'm not sure what all of this proves, if anything, and I'm sure not selling my MH, but I think the market is more stable than it was 18 months ago and I think that the sharp reduction in the number of new MH's being produced could eventually have a favorable effect on the prices of older, high quality ones. But that is wishful thinking and I'm not planning on selling anyway.


Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels


hone eagle

essex ontario canada

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Searching_Ut wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the RV life. Boondocking is starting to become more restricted and controlled, and forest service/blm type campgrounds are getting harder and harder to get into. Gas mileage mandates may or may not have a serious impact on capability and cost of HD pickups. Gas prices have noticeable impact today, and it's hard to predict what the future holds there, but things don't look rosey. The strong push for mileage based taxes, which will probably hit heavier vehicles with a higher rate are also something to consider.

For me, I guess the only option is to book a lot of trips for the immediate future, that way should the RV go the way of the Dodo bird I won't have missed the adventure.


Gas mileage mandates (CAFE) do not apply to HD pick-ups


2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

charles

Ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2002

View Profile



Posted: 04/09/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that towables are more cost effective, my point is that the vehicles that are required to tow a decent sized trailer or fiver are getting out of hand as well as the cost to run them as a daily driver and I feel that because of the costs, a lot more towables are going to be permanently parked near their homes. It's just my opinion. A Class B also makes a decent daily drive but who would have thought there would be $140,000.00 Class B's 5 years ago.

Nick


2012 Pleasure-way Excel TS

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charles wrote:

I think the towables are going to slow down to a minimum number when it comes time to buy or replace the trucks/suvs that are capable of towing them. It is just amazing how much new vehicles cost today compared with just a few years ago. Even small car prices have gotten out of control. I would guess that there will be more park models being placed in RV parks and used as vacation homes.

Nick
2011 Vista 35F


I disagree ,tow vehicles whatever the cost have use beyond just towing .Mine was a daily driver when not towing.(7.3 PSD F250).
A motorhome ....not .
Its about cost, towables are more cost effective.

mena661

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charles wrote:

I agree that towables are more cost effective
I disagree. Although anecdotal, the only people I know that are drastically cutting their camping are the MH owners. Everyone I know with a trailer is still doing the same as always.


2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours


jaykimnoregrets

Charleston

New Member

Joined: 03/03/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still visiting with friends in Calgary, we went out to look at DP's (used) yesterday, I was surprised to see the lack of MH's on the dealers lots, maybe 8 or 10 compared to around 60 or so 5ers and TT's! One dealer even said they have stopped accepting MH's now because of the soft market for MH's.
Sounds like a good time to buy though :-)

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaykimnoregrets wrote:

I am still visiting with friends in Calgary, we went out to look at DP's (used) yesterday, I was surprised to see the lack of MH's on the dealers lots, maybe 8 or 10 compared to around 60 or so 5ers and TT's! One dealer even said they have stopped accepting MH's now because of the soft market for MH's.
Sounds like a good time to buy though :-)


Canada has always had a minority in motorhome sales opposite of what is the norm stateside. I think because they are not a interest tax deduction? We pay full freight along with higher taxes and less disposable income ,towables are by far the biggest sellers.

full disclosure; I use a motorhome as a tow vehicle. Iam on both sides of the fence.

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/09/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Searching_Ut wrote:

hone eagle wrote:

Searching_Ut wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the RV life. Boondocking is starting to become more restricted and controlled, and forest service/blm type campgrounds are getting harder and harder to get into. Gas mileage mandates may or may not have a serious impact on capability and cost of HD pickups. Gas prices have noticeable impact today, and it's hard to predict what the future holds there, but things don't look rosey. The strong push for mileage based taxes, which will probably hit heavier vehicles with a higher rate are also something to consider.

For me, I guess the only option is to book a lot of trips for the immediate future, that way should the RV go the way of the Dodo bird I won't have missed the adventure.


Gas mileage mandates (CAFE) do not apply to HD pick-ups


I thought that changed in the latest round of standards. Don't the new rules take effect in 2014 for the HD trucks, and 2016 for the half tons that fall under the manufactures Fleet average?


Not as far as I know HD trucks are difficult to test as there are so many variations,pollution yes but not CAFE.
However would not be suprised if that changes ,you will know when mileage stickers appear on the windows.

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/10/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hone eagle wrote:

jaykimnoregrets wrote:

I am still visiting with friends in Calgary, we went out to look at DP's (used) yesterday, I was surprised to see the lack of MH's on the dealers lots, maybe 8 or 10 compared to around 60 or so 5ers and TT's! One dealer even said they have stopped accepting MH's now because of the soft market for MH's.
Sounds like a good time to buy though :-)


Canada has always had a minority in motorhome sales opposite of what is the norm stateside. I think because they are not a interest tax deduction? We pay full freight along with higher taxes and less disposable income ,towables are by far the biggest sellers.

full disclosure; I use a motorhome as a tow vehicle. Iam on both sides of the fence.


It's also because many buyers of mhs don't mind buying them in the US. There's still a significant cost difference between Canada and US and it's really not complicated to import one so why would anyone pay an extra 10-20% or more to a dealer in Canada.

Buying a trailer in the US is usually a bit more of a hassle because you have to drive your tow vehicle down to pick it up and the cost is typically less so there's not as much incentive (e.g. The same class A might cost $300k in Canada might be available for $255k in the US (15% less) and the buyer simply has to fly down to pick it up and drive home - a TT might be $30k in Canada and $25k in the states - if you have to drive 14 hours each way and spend $1000 of gas doing it, there's not nearly as much reason to do it).

Searching_Ut

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 05/09/2011

View Profile



Posted: 04/09/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hone eagle wrote:

Searching_Ut wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the RV life. Boondocking is starting to become more restricted and controlled, and forest service/blm type campgrounds are getting harder and harder to get into. Gas mileage mandates may or may not have a serious impact on capability and cost of HD pickups. Gas prices have noticeable impact today, and it's hard to predict what the future holds there, but things don't look rosey. The strong push for mileage based taxes, which will probably hit heavier vehicles with a higher rate are also something to consider.

For me, I guess the only option is to book a lot of trips for the immediate future, that way should the RV go the way of the Dodo bird I won't have missed the adventure.


Gas mileage mandates (CAFE) do not apply to HD pick-ups


I thought that changed in the latest round of standards. Don't the new rules take effect in 2014 for the HD trucks, and 2016 for the half tons that fall under the manufactures Fleet average?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Towables are up and MHs are down in 2011 and 2012
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS