|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Towables are up and MHs are down in 2011 and 2012

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would cost over $50,000 to replace my PU Truck if I were still towing a 10,000++ lb Trailer. Add the cost of a new TT and you are in the $75,000 to $100,000 range. The 5th wheel we look at was over $65,000. We switched to a used MH in Very Good condition for a fraction of the cost. Sold the TT and will keep the PU as a backup vechile.
Fuel prices will force anyone with a RV to alter their vacations or travel plans. I think most of us will adjust and keep our RVs as long as we can. My future Alask trip may never happen but there are other GREAT places to visit.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's see.......

Assume 8mpg, which is a decent average for an RV......
Assume 5,000mi per year, which is probably above average for MOST of us
So 625gal of fuel per season

@ $3/gal = $1875
@ $4/gal = $2500
@ $5/gal = $3125

Worst case, based on what we've been hearing for this summer, we'd be looking at spending $1250 additional dollars compared to $3/gal cost. Personally, I just cannot see how that would convince me to sell my DP and go spend nearly as much, if not more, to buy a decent trailer and pickup truck........

On top of that, many of us would then have to sell their high gas mileage toad and replace it with the tow pickup + trailer that will cost me upwards of $100k!

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Searching_Ut

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hone eagle wrote:

Searching_Ut wrote:

hone eagle wrote:

Searching_Ut wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the RV life. Boondocking is starting to become more restricted and controlled, and forest service/blm type campgrounds are getting harder and harder to get into. Gas mileage mandates may or may not have a serious impact on capability and cost of HD pickups. Gas prices have noticeable impact today, and it's hard to predict what the future holds there, but things don't look rosey. The strong push for mileage based taxes, which will probably hit heavier vehicles with a higher rate are also something to consider.

For me, I guess the only option is to book a lot of trips for the immediate future, that way should the RV go the way of the Dodo bird I won't have missed the adventure.

Gas mileage mandates (CAFE) do not apply to HD pick-ups

I thought that changed in the latest round of standards. Don't the new rules take effect in 2014 for the HD trucks, and 2016 for the half tons that fall under the manufactures Fleet average?

Not as far as I know HD trucks are difficult to test as there are so many variations,pollution yes but not CAFE.
However would not be suprised if that changes ,you will know when mileage stickers appear on the windows.

It's been awhile since I've seen anything in the news on it, but they're working on both emmisons and gas mileage for trucks now in the US. As a starting point:

Dieselnet article

I've seen several others over the months detailing anticipated costs for 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups, but most don't seem to have good links to the actual regulations.

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The diesel net story seems to be mostly about emmisions for med-heavy duty trucks (class 7-8).
Heavy duty truck manufacturers are not subject to CAFE , they may be regulated as far as mileage (I highly doubt it) but 'corperate average fuel economy' no, I dont think so . That is for main line car producers.

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

confusing

Here is a 2 year old artical from Edmunds,dicusses up coming reg for 'med and heavy duty'yet shows a F series SD in the picture ?
So are we talking class 7-8, or pick up heavy duty class 2-3 ?
Either way its been 2 years and nothing.
I think they were talking class 8 (semi truck). It is pointless to regulate fuel economy in these trucks economics will make a winner of any company that shows improved FE over the compitition. Government cant force it and compition will exceed it anyway if possible.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Towables are up and MHs are down in 2011 and 2012
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS