|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sales tax question -

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TripleE wrote:

We are residents of South Dakota and just purchased a motorhome in Calif. We had to take delivery out of Calif so that we didn't have to pay CA sales tax. The dealership arranged for a driver to take the rig into Arizona and we finished the paperwork there. We then faxed all our paperwork to SD and paid the tax there. Each state has different rules on out of state purchases so make sure you talk to someone at the dealership

Just curious, why did you come to California to buy? Did you get a better deal here?

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oregon has no sales tax so you would only have mt to deal with

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

If you are buying from a DEALER almost every state requires the dealer to collect THAT STATES taxes.

This information is wrong. Just the opposite is true. MOST states are reciprocal states, and collect no sales tax for other-state registrations. CA is one exception, and there may be others, but very few, if any.

wnytaxman

Western NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will find that most dealers are very familiar with Montana purchasers due to the fair number of people who use MT LLC's to register their vehicles. If you are a Montana resident with MT drivers licenses there should be no issue. Some states, such as California, have unique sales tax requirements. Most states provide a transport license or you get the plates in MT before you pick up your rig.

2011 Berkshire 390bh

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are buying from a DEALER almost every state requires the dealer to collect THAT STATES taxes. If your home state is charges MORE, you get a credit for what you've already paid. If they charge LESS you're out of luck, but you'll get the credit for what was owed. That said, almost every dealer I've talked to will deliver it out of state for you. We lived in California, bought in Arizona, took delivery in New Mexico and registered it in South Dakota. If we took delivery in California I would have had to pay Ca. taxes. However, since we were selling our home there and going full time, I took delivery in New Mexico.

One word of caution: If you are taking delivery OUT OF STATE, get a form documenting you've taken delivery out of state and have it signed by the dealer and get it NOTARIZED. That way there can be no dispute as to where the motorhome was delivered to YOU...covering all bases...just sayin....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Heylea

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, all. Yes, looked @ Bretz w/ no luck. Didn't consider that they could bring something in for us. Assuming there would be a delivery charge for that, tho?

Another question - does anyone have any recommendations for a great RV service center in the MT, WA, OR, or ID areas, which is where we will mainly be traveling? How does Bretz stack up for service? Mowermech, what's your MT experience?

Happy Monday!

Heylea
Class A TBD in 2013
2009 Jeep Compas Rallye 4x4 5-sp manual

twmw1126

Georgetown, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased a new RV in Florida in February. Did not pay sales tax because I had to pay in Kentucky. Had to wait for the certificate of origin before I could pay taxes and license in Kentucky. Took about two or three weeks. Dealer would not release until they got there money from bank and all documents were signed.

Mickey & Teri
2012 Damon Challenger 37KT
2007 Jeep Liberty with blueox tow bar

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TripleE wrote:

We are residents of South Dakota and just purchased a motorhome in Calif. We had to take delivery out of Calif so that we didn't have to pay CA sales tax. The dealership arranged for a driver to take the rig into Arizona and we finished the paperwork there. We then faxed all our paperwork to SD and paid the tax there. Each state has different rules on out of state purchases so make sure you talk to someone at the dealership

This absolutely is the way CA works, if you "complete" the purchase, i.e. take delivery inside CA you pay CA sales tax. Common to take delivery in NV. Other choice is buy in a state with no sales tax.

Like OR or TX.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spend a couple of months in CA each winter to visit family and friends. We found a new to us RV that we liked and purchased it. My DH had checked online for the type he wanted and this one fit the bill.

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, I have very little experience with having work done on an RV in Montana.
I have never had to avail myself of such services.
I have heard that Pierce RV here in Billing has a good service department, but I have no experience with them other than buying parts. The people I have talked to there seem to be very knowledgeable, though.
Have you tried them for an RV? They have a large inventory, usually.
IMO, one should avoid the use of the term "MOST". It is often inaccurate.
NO, in Montana you cannot get the plates before you pick up the rig, unless you have ALL the paperwork in hand when you go to the courthouse. You MUST transfer the title at the same time you get the registration and license plates! In order to get the plates before picking up the rig, you would have to make the deal, get all the papers, go to the courthouse in YOUR HOME COUNTY (you have to have a local address to do the transfer), do the title transfer, get the registration and license plates, then go back to get the rig. Montana law specifies that you have 40 days to drive with just the Bill Of Sale while you get the paperwork done.
Yes, California could be called "unique". If you purchase from a dealer, you WILL pay all taxes and registration costs, then you will get a CA title in your name. Then you can take that title to Montana, transfer it, and get your MT registration and plates. Been there, did that. twice. Then, a year or so later, you just might get a nasty-gram from CA DMV telling you that you are liable for all sorts of penalties for not renewing your CA registration. I had that happen once, too!
If purchasing from a private party in CA, the seller signs the title over to you (a Notary is not required) and gives it to you, then you go home to Montana and transfer the title and get the registration/plates. The CA DMV never gets involved in a private party sale to an out of state buyer. Been there, did that, too.
If you trade a MT licensed vehicle in, they will try to keep your MT plates. DO NOT allow it! Those plates belong to YOU, CA can not keep them! CA may try to push the issue, but if you push back they will eventually look it up and say "Oh, yeah, that's right!" Been there, did that, too!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sales tax question -
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes