|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Update...Never too experienced to not be stupid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never say never or I won't.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friend of mine had a dead battery so he pulled it out and hooked it to a charger and trickle charged it for the weekend. Then put it back in.

Had all the same things you have going on. I went over to look at it and everything was hooked up right.

He hooked the charger to the battery backwards and totally reversed it.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tell people to get two cans of paint, They can be Testor's Brand model paint, or nail polish or small (Again Testor's) spray paint.

With the batteries PROPERLY installed on the wires that run off to somewhere else (not to another battery) from the positive side.. RED

and (optionally) on the negative side.. Black

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is truly different here is that you are willing to admit that you made a mistake. I didn't hear lame excuses or see pointing fingers.

You (hopefully) blew the fuse(s) in the converter. You should also investigate most everything more technologic than an incandescent light bulb. Most good things are protected from reverse polarity, but this often means that they pop in internal and easily replaceable fuse. Obviously, your house batteries are good enough to run the slide.

I do so hope that the damage is trivial.
After all, I've never done anything that stupid - Today.
And I've only bolted the flat tire back on the car once.

I (used to) do a lot of work on boat electrics. I see two or three of these a season. I do my best in the systems that I build or re-work to make this hard to do. But, the quote doesn't even fit "Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious. ~Mark Twain" because it most likely a case of a simple oversight.

This is not at all like the owner of a new boat that put in one of two batteries backward and even had to get a different bolt because the connector would not fit on the wrong terminal. When it arced as he connected it, he turned off the battery switch (which should have been off) and connected it. When he set the switch to BOTH, both batteries exploded. He and the vessel survived with help from friends, but there are still funny spots where the acid ate things.

Matt (You just can't laugh at clients)

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I tell people to get two cans of paint, They can be Testor's Brand model paint, or nail polish or small (Again Testor's) spray paint.

With the batteries PROPERLY installed on the wires that run off to somewhere else (not to another battery) from the positive side.. RED

and (optionally) on the negative side.. Black

I did one better. The positive cable on my bus has a BIG plastic tag with "+" on it in red. The negative cable has a tag with "G" on it in green.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jumbo One

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 12:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There might have been a few more clues that the battery was hooked up backwards. Did all the lights only cast shadows? Did the waterpump suck?

(getting a late start on April Fool's Day)

Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did that once. My first clue was after driving down the road backwards for a hunnert miles. Second clue was all the programs on my radio were in French.

GM

Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once I realized there was a real problem, it took me less than a second (igno-second) to realize what I had done.

You know, as far as I can tell, there appears to be no problems. Converter seems to operate normally. I will check again for blown converter fuses. But I saw no bad fuses at first glance.

I am thinking I might be lucky, because before installing the battery in the trailer, I put it on my battery charger for a few days. So it did have a good full charge, before installation. And while installed, it really had very little power draw to pull it down. So maybe it had no reason to call for a charge. Therefore, maybe that is why no fuses seem to be blown. Although I did have the system connected in to the house 110V. But...when it comes to luck....I'm never lucky. So I'll need to check further. I guess I was lucky that I discovered the problem before connecting up to my truck 7 prong plug.

The funny thing is, I remember checking to make sure the white wire was connected to ground on the trailer frame. Since this is the first time to re-install battery on this new trailer. Then after doing that, I reminded myself that the system was negative ground. Then proceeded to install the battery backwards.

I hope this is can serve as a reminder to others. Pay attention. And check your work.

* This post was edited 04/09/12 06:04am by Vulcaneer *

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK...so we're getting ready to go away over the weekend. Get the trailer ready. No Power... NOTHING...Dead battery...and then some.

Come to find out. when I installed the battery incorrectly, it blew 40A fuses in the separate sub-converter. So the battery eventually ran down from not charging for a month or so. The manual did address the problem. With very good explanation. But then the problem was to find the separate sub-converter. Traced wires and found it...after a while. Switched out the 40A fuses and back to charging the battery again...Life is good.

The converter manufacturer is "World Friendly llc". According to the manufacturer, they install fuses to protect all circuits against installing the battery with reversed polarity. So I guess there are other dopes out there like me. And I am not the first. Two 40 Amp fuses. Bought a box of 5 for $2.49 at NAPA.

* This post was edited 05/19/12 07:01am by Vulcaneer *

diesel man 03

the north country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never thought that would work without ruining the converter.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Update...Never too experienced to not be stupid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS