|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Would you tow with a 3500# max rating Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
EricGT

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Class C has a 3500# maximum tow rating.
I was thinking of getting a JEEP Wrangler to tow behind but am now thinking the JEEP would be too heavy.
What is the easiest, most affordable means to tow a vehicle and is the 3500# max the most I can tow even if the vehicle is flat towed?

At 6'4" I'm not really into buzzing around town in a Smart Car or really any compact for that matter.

2002 'The Rogue' by Mckenzie div of Monaco Coach
24' E450 chassis, V10, Class C, Single slide

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just posted this on another forum...

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Reducing the weight of what you tow makes a difference on your fuel mileage..even waxing the rig helps smooth the air flow for a slight increase. Proper tire pressure and towing a lower profile vehicle will also contribute...however slightly. Thats why you see big rigs now with aerodynamic farings under the trailers...smooth air flow. Even a 2 or 3% increase in mileage can add up to thousands
in savings.

We are considering a Class A or B+ next time we buy, and have done research on the ideal tow vehicle...smaller, lighter, reliable and something that gets good mileage itself too.

We had bought a couple of new KIA's recently for wife and I, a Sorento SUV and a Forte sedan...and my Daughter got a KIA Soul. It turns out that all the newer KIA's with manual transmissions can be TOAD 4 down without restrictions of speed or distance with no modifications...and the Soul seats 5, runs $14,000.00 base brand new, good prices when used, has huge cargo space and weighs just 2615 lbs and with the 6 speed manual gets 32 mpg. AND it's not a tiny "clown car", it's roomy, lots of head and leg room too, 40.2" head and 42.1 leg... more than a Cadillac CTS!

If you prefer a sedan, the RIO sedan gets 40 mpg with a 6 speed @ 2410 lbs. Again roomy, lots of head and leg room.

Just install a tow bar. Good quality cars, 5 star safety ratings, great mileage, well made, comfortable, nice prices and a 100,000 mile warranty!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the curb weight of the vehicle that you want to flat tow? It's not like there's any tongue weight. The vehicle could butt right up against the max weight - and as long as it has really good brakes working in concert with your MH then you're OK.

BTW, this is over at the escapee's forum (linky). Emphasis added by me:
Quote:

My wife and I each drive a smart ForTwo now...hers is the standard Passion with the panoramic roof, and mine is a Passion that happens to have the "optional" hardtop. The hardtop (same as what the Pure comes with as the standard roof) has more overhead clearance than the panoramic roof. I have some really tall friends...one is 6'7"...he left the seat set at the same degree of recline that I use...I'm an even 6', and when I got the car I weighed 330 lbs...and he still had room (his head wasn't touching the roof). I like the hardtop because I regularly wear a hat of some kind, and in my wife's car I find the hat bumps on the sliding sunscreen, whereas there's a couple more inches of room in the hardtop. I don't miss the see-through roof when I drive mine. In the summer I think the see-through roof is hotter too.

I dare you to sit in a smart car. I get stopped by people all the time - mostly at the grocery store - asking me how I can get all the bags in the car. I give them the tour. Each and every one is flummoxed at how much interior there actually is.

I traded in my Ford pickup for a smart - solely because it is 1800 lbs. It's great to tow, and yes, ...I miss my truck.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford Focus would work well. My son hauls cars and is taller than you, I'll ask him what is easy to get in and out of that is light weight and towable. I was looking at a Scion Xb or that little Mazda van myself.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were 6'4" I'd really try out a Wrangler to be sure it's the kind of vehicle I'd want to be jumping in and out of on a regular basis.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" Would you tow with a 3500# max rating Class C?"

I do almost every time I head out.
I even use one of those horrible fixed-arm adjustable width $145 cheap junk towbars! (I have never had any trouble with it. NEVER!) I even hook it to the motorhome by myself! "THEY" (the naysayers) say it can't be done, but I do it frequently.
I had a well-qualified welder reinforce the hitch on the Tioga, and nothing has broken or bent.
I even built a home-made 41 inch long extension to tow the Jeep behind the truck when I had an 11.5 foot camper on it. "THEY" (the naysayers, again) said that couldn't be done, also. But it worked.
It is truly amazing, the number of things that "THEY" say can't be done, that HAVE been done, and ARE being done, frequently and successfully.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

EricGT

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would need something that hauls 2 adults and 2 kids. I never thought about that little Scion box van. They are kinda neat imo.
I merely said a Wrangler because it would be a vehicle I would also not mind driving when at home as a summer toy.
We currently have a G8, Avalanche, and Enclave all of which are too heavy to tow with my 3500# limit.
Having a toad would really allow us to get out and enjoy our surroundings more and not have to cater so much to what public transportation or public parking allows.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EricGT,
Asked my son what small cars he can fit in comfortably, and he said the VW beetle and the Mini Cooper. He is taller than you. He did not tell me if he has trouble getting inside one of them, only that they have lots of room once inside. Can't be to bad cause he is often on the top trailer deck when getting into one. I know both of these, with manual transmissions, are towed by some around here, but I don't think they are on the "manufacturer approved" dingy list. And I don't know what they weight, but that is easly researched.

Sooboy

Toronto, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed my Honda CRV over 30,000 km with my last RV - a Triple E Regency on a Ford E450 with a Powerstroke Diesel - which had a 3500# limit. I tried to keep things out of the TOAD to keep it as light as possible - even towing with a mostly empty fuel tank whenever possible.

3400+ lbs. plus 4 bikes probably took us right to the limit, if not a little over. Took it easy and suffered no ill effects.

With our new rig it just doesn't matter...one of the reasons we bought it.

2012 Jayco Embark TB390
2009 Honda CRV TOAD with Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
FMCA #F413428

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gotsmart wrote:

What's the curb weight of the vehicle that you want to flat tow? It's not like there's any tongue weight. The vehicle could butt right up against the max weight - and as long as it has really good brakes working in concert with your MH then you're OK.

BTW, this is over at the escapee's forum (linky). Emphasis added by me:
Quote:

My wife and I each drive a smart ForTwo now...hers is the standard Passion with the panoramic roof, and mine is a Passion that happens to have the "optional" hardtop. The hardtop (same as what the Pure comes with as the standard roof) has more overhead clearance than the panoramic roof. I have some really tall friends...one is 6'7"...he left the seat set at the same degree of recline that I use...I'm an even 6', and when I got the car I weighed 330 lbs...and he still had room (his head wasn't touching the roof). I like the hardtop because I regularly wear a hat of some kind, and in my wife's car I find the hat bumps on the sliding sunscreen, whereas there's a couple more inches of room in the hardtop. I don't miss the see-through roof when I drive mine. In the summer I think the see-through roof is hotter too.

I dare you to sit in a smart car. I get stopped by people all the time - mostly at the grocery store - asking me how I can get all the bags in the car. I give them the tour. Each and every one is flummoxed at how much interior there actually is.

I traded in my Ford pickup for a smart - solely because it is 1800 lbs. It's great to tow, and yes, ...I miss my truck.

Headroom? we don't need no stinking headroom.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Would you tow with a 3500# max rating Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS