RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Temporary tags for an out of state move?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am moving from WV to Portland OR in three weeks. This is a permanent relocation. I have not yet taken delivery on a used motorhome that a neighbor has, but will as soon as I get some advice here. Insurance is lined up, just have to sign/send money.

1. Can I get temporary tags in WV, and register it once I get to Portland?
2. Sales tax: can I pay my sales tax when I get out to Oregon, and not here in WV? Most importantly, not pay twice! Yes, I know they have a different system in OR.

Since it's a long trip, if I can just get 30 day tags (if at all) on a Class A, between packing the MH and the drive out, time will be very tight. I'm doing all the driving, and am good for 300 miles a day, but I'd also like to make a few stops along the way.

I'm going to contact DMV tomorrow, but I'm asking for "real world" advice and backup on this, as you know how the DMV folks can be Is there supporting paperwork that I need to provide to WV? I have an apartment lease, and have done post office change of address forms. Obviously, I can't get my driver's license changed till I get out there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ellen

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregon does not have sales tax so what ever you pay in WV will be it. Don't know if WV will issue temp tags but pretty sure since you are not yet a legal Oregon resident you will be stuck with the WV sales tax. If you are purchasing a gas motorhome it will have to pass a DEQ inspection before you can get Oregon tags if you move anywhere in the Portland area.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. What I'm wondering is though, once I take possession of the MH, I will be leaving the state of WV forever, probably the next day. So why should I have to pay sale tax here if I'm titling it in OR?

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In West Virginia, do the license plates stay on the vehicle, or does the previous owner keep them?
If they stay on the vehicle, and they are current, just take the papers and go.
For temporary permit information, you will probably have to contact the applicable WV agency to get a good answer.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

License plates do not stay with the vehicle, you have to return them to the DMV.

This is a big issue for me as I am basically homeless right now, having lost my home/business. So having to pay multiple hundreds of $$ sales tax if I don't have to is going to be really difficult.

fed x trucker

missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our coach in Kansas. We live in Missouri.Every state is different on their paper work, check the state where you are moving to. We had a bill of sale, but no title for 60 days.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

call the dmv in both states ,see what they say.

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, that's the plan for tomorrow, calling both. I'm just concerned about getting mis-information.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found this on Yahoo Questions, and it doesn't sound good:
"Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

If the vehicle purchased is used, you must have the previous owner's title properly reassigned to you whether it is a West Virginia title or an out-of-state title. Both the seller and the buyer must sign the back of the West Virginia title. If it's an out-of-state title the previous owner must sign the title and the name and address of the new owner should appear on the title. The new owner would then submit the out-of-state title along with a West Virginia application for title (DMV-1-TR). If the vehicle is less than ten years old the seller must also complete the odometer disclosure on the title that has to be acknowledged by the purchaser. The above fees would also apply when titling a used vehicle whether it's purchased from a dealer or not.

There is a 5% privilege tax on vehicles that are purchased, if the vehicle is purchased from an individual and the purchase price is below 50% of the current Automobile Red Book loan value, a notarized bill of sale must accompany the application for title, or the tax will be assessed on the Automobile Red Book loan value. If the purchase price is above 50%, the tax will be assessed on that price. Any vehicle not purchased from a registered dealer which is two years old or less will be taxed on the current Automobile Red Book loan value despite the purchase price, a notarized bill of sale will not be accepted.

"Temporary tags" are only issued for cars sold by dealers while waiting for the permanent tags to come in. Since you aren't buying from a dealer, follow the above.
Source(s):
http://www.wvdot.com/6_motorists/dmv/6g2…"

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops double posted when adding something to above.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS