RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Temporary tags for an out of state move?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm... WV doesn't have the notion of a "ferry permit" that will allow you to drive from point A to point B over a short number of days? That's what I did when I bought my rig from a private seller in TX but then drove it to CA to prep for going full time and therefore registered it in South Dakota.

Roaming Full Timer
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just some thoughts here, if WV law doesn't allow this and you are leaving the state the next day, maybe you can get the seller to follow you to a friendlier state and do the transaction there. You'd have to check on state laws in those other states. Or if the seller is willing to work with you, you could always rent the motorhome from him for a month and then buy it from him when you are actually in Oregon. The point being if WV laws don't work out see if you can figure out a legal work around solution.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yikes, thanks.

okhmbldr

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Work with the seller to leave the WV tag in place, drive to Oregon, set up residence, and transfer the title when you apply for your new driver's license. Then mail the tag back to the seller when you have your new Oregon tag.

JALLEN4

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last thing you want to do is leave the previous owners tag on the vehicle. The insurance problems are numerous and the liability for the seller is huge.

There really is no reason you cannot purchase a temporary tag in West Virginia. You are though going to need an address out of state to accomplish this.

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seriously hope that works, Jallen4. I have some minor documentation: a lease agreement on a place I'm staying, change of address paperwork from the PO. Can you think of any other documentation?

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JALLEN4 wrote:

The last thing you want to do is leave the previous owners tag on the vehicle. The insurance problems are numerous and the liability for the seller is huge.

There really is no reason you cannot purchase a temporary tag in West Virginia. You are though going to need an address out of state to accomplish this.

That's not true at all. If you use my idea of renting the vehicle and then purchasing it once in Oregon then the only liability is if the sller trusts the buyer. The buyer would get a binder on his own insurance and his own insurance would cover any incident. And if he simply left the cash behind with the seller (assuming it's a cash deal) then even the seller is protected.

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you go to a WV notary to change the title get an intransit permit. This permit will allow you to take the RV from WV to the state you plan to register it in. You will need proof of insurance on the RV.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JALLEN4 wrote:

Then just how do you do it??? I searched the WV DMV site high and low for a provision for temporary plates and the only thing I could find was for dealers to issue one for a vehicle that will end up being permanently plated in WV. Nothing for transporting out of state to another state.

http://www.transportation.wv.gov/dmv/Pages/default.aspx

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

JALLEN4

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

JALLEN4 wrote:

That's not true at all. If you use my idea of renting the vehicle and then purchasing it once in Oregon then the only liability is if the sller trusts the buyer. The buyer would get a binder on his own insurance and his own insurance would cover any incident. And if he simply left the cash behind with the seller (assuming it's a cash deal) then even the seller is protected.

Really! The seller would have to be out of his mind to give a complete stranger his motorhome and tags on some cobbled together rental/purchase scheme so he could drive it completely across the country. Until that title is transferred, in the case of an accident, the plaintiff will be after the registered owner and his insurance much quicker than some admittedly broke guy who theoretically is renting the unit.

Motor vehicles are sold daily in West Virginia and most every other state to people who reside in another state and will register it there. That is one of the primary reasons temporary tags were invented. All the OP has to do is look up the address of the RV park where he is going to park in Oregon and use that as his address.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS