RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Temporary tags for an out of state move?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you read the OP's post you'll see he's buying it from a neighbor not a complete stranger. My comments stand. Private parties rent motorhomes out all the time.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I just had a long talk with the WV DMV. Bottom line, I have to pay the sales tax in WV. They do not do temporary tags on private sales, and do not do out of state one way trip permits and you can not transfer original tags (even though his registration is still good for several months). Not happy.

Oh, the seller would never go for something like renting. He just wants his money and I don't blame him.

FedAgent

Corpus Christi, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msellen wrote:

Well, I just had a long talk with the WV DMV. Bottom line, I have to pay the sales tax in WV. They do not do temporary tags on private sales, and do not do out of state one way trip permits and you can not transfer original tags (even though his registration is still good for several months). Not happy.

Oh, the seller would never go for something like renting. He just wants his money and I don't blame him.

Most states will honor the taxes paid to another state for vehicle registration. Call your home state DMV and see if they have a reciprocal agreement.

Larry
2007 Newmar 37 Mountain Aire, 05 Jeep Wrangler,lifted and chipped toad.

Yellowstone National Park seasonal staff.

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, for those that referred to the OP as a male, her name is Ellen. Ha!

Oregon does not have sales tax.

I would think that your paperwork from the West Virginia DMV would suffice while you are driving across country to your new location. As long as you have your insurance in place and can prove that you have it, that should be enough.

We purchased our motorhome in Oregon and all we had was the sales receipt from the manufacturer and our new insurance binder. We didn't have any problems driving back to Tennessee to register it. As long as your have your paperwork, I would think you would be OK. You really don't have a choice from what the WV DMV told you.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42.2 ft., 4 slides, 425 hp clean-air Cummins diesel (on consignment soon)
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Coach (arriving soon)

nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregon has 10 day you can get http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/tprv.shtml

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't you just have your neighbor keep the WV tags on the vehicle until you get to OR, register it there. If your neighbor needs the WV tags back for whatever reason, then just mail them back to him.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There has to be some way around paying WV sales tax.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

When you are a resident of WV and the motorhome is owned by a WV resident and is located in WV I don't see much choice. Unless you take off with the old owners plates (if he will leave them on it) and a notorized bill of sale. When I purchased from a Alabama dealer, that is all I had for my 1000 mile trip home through 6 differnet states. No one ever bother me.

The OP is buying the motorhome and then leaving the state the very next day to move to Oregon. There has to be a way around paying WV sales tax. I'm all for paying the taxes you owe, but when you fully intend to but it and take it to another state there just has to be a legal way around pay it.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

When you are a resident of WV and the motorhome is owned by a WV resident and is located in WV I don't see much choice. Unless you take off with the old owners plates (if he will leave them on it) and a notorized bill of sale. When I purchased from a Alabama dealer, that is all I had for my 1000 mile trip home through 6 differnet states. No one ever bother me.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a bunch everyone! Yep, I'm of the female variety, but I thought I'd just let that go

I'm really excited about my first cross country trip, and will look through the threads here for routing info. I've never driven a MH, should be interesting. It's a 33' 1993 Seabreeze, in great condition, with a new motor and tires.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS