RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Temporary tags for an out of state move?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

wny_pat wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

There has to be some way around paying WV sales tax.
When you are a resident of WV and the motorhome is owned by a WV resident and is located in WV I don't see much choice. Unless you take off with the old owners plates (if he will leave them on it) and a notorized bill of sale. When I purchased from a Alabama dealer, that is all I had for my 1000 mile trip home through 6 differnet states. No one ever bother me.

The OP is buying the motorhome and then leaving the state the very next day to move to Oregon. There has to be a way around paying WV sales tax. I'm all for paying the taxes you owe, but when you fully intend to but it and take it to another state there just has to be a legal way around pay it.
Well, here is what the WV DMV told the OP before you posted:

"Well, I just had a long talk with the WV DMV. Bottom line, I have to pay the sales tax in WV. They do not do temporary tags on private sales, and do not do out of state one way trip permits and you can not transfer original tags (even though his registration is still good for several months). Not happy."

Maybe you know a West Virginia tax lawyer who can help her, but her state told her she has to pay the tax. Just who are we to tell her different than the authorities in her state? I think the Fat Lady sang and thats it, like it or not.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Trap

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the only way the OP can do this is would have to establish residency in the new State first and then come back and get the MH.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

wny_pat wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

There has to be some way around paying WV sales tax.
When you are a resident of WV and the motorhome is owned by a WV resident and is located in WV I don't see much choice. Unless you take off with the old owners plates (if he will leave them on it) and a notorized bill of sale. When I purchased from a Alabama dealer, that is all I had for my 1000 mile trip home through 6 differnet states. No one ever bother me.

The OP is buying the motorhome and then leaving the state the very next day to move to Oregon. There has to be a way around paying WV sales tax. I'm all for paying the taxes you owe, but when you fully intend to but it and take it to another state there just has to be a legal way around pay it.
Well, here is what the WV DMV told the OP before you posted:

"Well, I just had a long talk with the WV DMV. Bottom line, I have to pay the sales tax in WV. They do not do temporary tags on private sales, and do not do out of state one way trip permits and you can not transfer original tags (even though his registration is still good for several months). Not happy."

Maybe you know a West Virginia tax lawyer who can help her, but her state told her she has to pay the tax. Just who are we to tell her different than the authorities in her state? I think the Fat Lady sang and thats it, like it or not.

So you talk to an hourly employee at DMV and they tell you to pay the tax and you take that as the gospel? Not me. I still say there's got to be a way around this. I would not trust an answer given by a DMV employee. I worked for the government all my life and I've seen my fellow employees give out bad advice all the time. I've even seen government employees give legal advice when they aren't lawyers.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msellen wrote:

Yeah, having lost my home, its financially very difficult; I have no cash assets--as a matter of fact, I am having to borrow the money for the sales tax. But I see no way around it. They won't do temp tags, you can only get them from a dealer.

Have you called Oregon DMV to see if they can mail you temp tags?

mlbdp

La Porte, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MsEllen
Do an out of state delievery! Have the owner or his rep meet you just across one of the state lines and find notary and have the bill of sale signed and notarized, then drive to Oregon and register coach there.
I've done this twice, one from California to Texas and from Pa to Montana.

Just make it a condition of sale!

Good Luck!

2006 Beaver Monterey 38
Roadmaster, 400 Cat C9
2009 Saturn Vue
GS, FMCA 305555, SKP 104572
USN RETIRED

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, having lost my home, its financially very difficult; I have no cash assets--as a matter of fact, I am having to borrow the money for the sales tax. But I see no way around it. They won't do temp tags, you can only get them from a dealer.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you know that the person the OP talked to is a senior employee who knows everything and doesn't ever make a mistake? You're a better person than me than to know all that.

To the OP: Don't stop with the answer you got from DMV. This does not seem right to me and I think there must be away around it.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msellen wrote:

PRECISELY why I am asking here!

>>>So you talk to an hourly employee at DMV and they tell you to pay the tax and you take that as the gospel? Not me. I still say there's got to be a way around this. I would not trust an answer given by a DMV employee.

I have not yet asked the OR DMV if they will send me a temp tag. I'll keep you posted!

Yes keep us posted. You have my curiosity up on this. I simply can't imagine that given your circumstance that WV can justify collecting sales tax when you're leaving the state the next day. If you can explain the situation to Oregon and get the temp tag from them, that may be the way to go. I don't know how much sales tax we're talking here, but the sales tax on my DP when I bought it was $13,000.00. I would have loved to figure out a lawful way to get around it. I know you're buying used and I don't know the tax rate in WV, but if it's a substantial sum of money it is worth it to you to find a way around it, especially since Oregon doesn't have a sales tax.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

So you talk to an hourly employee at DMV and they tell you to pay the tax and you take that as the gospel? Not me. I still say there's got to be a way around this. I would not trust an answer given by a DMV employee. I worked for the government all my life and I've seen my fellow employees give out bad advice all the time. I've even seen government employees give legal advice when they aren't lawyers.
I talk to one all the time, and her elected political boss would have a kitten on the spot if any of them gave out bad advise. They are instructed to ask the supervisor if they don't know. And she even tells legal secretaries to ask their bosses cause she can't give legal advise, only procedural advise. Any yes I would trust her advise cause I'm married to her and she has proven me wrong more than once, plus she is the co-pilot. But maybe your DMV in California isn't as good as the DMV in my county in New York. Do you have any idea how long it takes to properly train a DMV clerk? It is a life long endeavor. Don't ask a young one - but ask for the supervisor.

msellen

WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PRECISELY why I am asking here!

>>>So you talk to an hourly employee at DMV and they tell you to pay the tax and you take that as the gospel? Not me. I still say there's got to be a way around this. I would not trust an answer given by a DMV employee.

I have not yet asked the OR DMV if they will send me a temp tag. I'll keep you posted!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Temporary tags for an out of state move?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS