|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> "12 Volt" TVs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
HandyRandy

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
I have a Magnavox 15" TV in my 11' Lance. It was installed when I bought it and plugged into the AC Outlet. So, when boondocking (or Walmarting), I ran the generator to watch DVDs. I'm a retired EE and love tinkering, so I followed the power cord from the plug to the transformer bulge to the output to the TV. The transformer bulge says Input 120VAC" and "Output 12VDC"!! So, I just built a new power cord with the appropriate coaxial power connector and now can run the TV (for awhile at least) without the generator.

I would like to be able to watch over-the-air TV when signals are available. I know there are "12 Volt" TVs, but they seem to command a premium.

So, the question: Have any of you found a 15" - 19" digital ready LCD flat screen with the same set up as my Magnavox? It is spec'ed as 120VAC, but the input to the TV really is 12 Volt.

Thanks for your help.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think that you should still be able to watch a nights worth of television with the TV plugged into 110VAC inverter. You would probably need two batteries, if you want it all night, with other lighting.

As to your question, I would suggest when you pull into Walmart to overnight, that you walk inside and look at the back side of the TVs on the wall.....you should be able to see how they are powered.

Take care, Happy Camping

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 19" Vizio works the same way as your Magnavox.

Got it at Target about 18 months ago.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So your saying we might not need an inverter?
we have a new 26" Vizio LED, I'll have to check on the input. But in case it is 12v, could you show me a pic of what you did?

We'd like a way for the kids to watch TV on the road or boondocking without running the generator all the time. I Suppose this is a cheaper alternative also, over the inverter?

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the same as you, but bought one with a built in dvd player.wors great and bought it at wal mart.

HandyRandy

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PapPappy wrote:

I would think that you should still be able to watch a nights worth of television with the TV plugged into 110VAC inverter. You would probably need two batteries, if you want it all night, with other lighting.

But, you lose a lot of efficiency in the DC -> AC (inverter)conversion only to burn up more electricity as heat changing it back to DC. I save battery running on 12 Volts.

Thanks for the rest of your answer.

1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, handyrandy.

DH and I are going shopping for one tomorrow.

Thank you.

1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bummer. Our LED Vizio has a 19v output. Guess we'll have to go with an inverter as previously planned.

Kalabin

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to find a brand called "Naxa". I found one at my local Fred Meyers store for around $200 on sale. It works as you describe, native it's a 12V DC system but uses a 120V AC to 12V DC rectifier "Brick" if you are using it at your house.

What is nice is the TV actually came with the cables for both the 12v direct to a standard car / RV outlet or 120V AC Plug.

Our TV is a 23" with a built in DVD player.

2013 F150 Ecoboost, FX4, Crew Cab, Max Tow, 402A Package "loaded"

HandyRandy

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1rosario wrote:

So your saying we might not need an inverter?
we have a new 26" Vizio LED, I'll have to check on the input. But in case it is 12v, could you show me a pic of what you did?

We'd like a way for the kids to watch TV on the road or boondocking without running the generator all the time. I Suppose this is a cheaper alternative also, over the inverter?

I just found the same style connector that plugs power into the back of the TV at a local electronics store. They are usually Coaxial Power Connectors Wiki about Coaxial Power Connectors (Radio Shack has them, but theirs get poor reviews). The little drawing on your transformer - the one with the partial circle around the dot - will show you how to connect the + and -. I just used some doorbell wire and soldered one end to the power connector. NOTE: with a 26" LED TV, you may need to use thicker wire - check the current output on the transformer. It should say something like 5.0 DCA (DC Amps). Use heavy enough wire for the current. I connected the other end of the wires into the same 12V circuit as my stereo (so it is on the same fuse) and plugged it into the TV. Voila - inverter free TV.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> "12 Volt" TVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS