|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never owned a "smart" phone and are currently ATT users BUT a friend on mine suggested going to Sprint for our smart phone do to the "unlimited" interent and data they offer for 70 bucks(450 minutes). He also stated he didn't think the Sprint offer would last more than a year or two as it is becoming expensive to Sprint. If we get it they would (have in the past) grandfather you as long as you want the service.

SO

I am wondering as we travel the USA a lot and are in some remote spots what you think of their phone service?
Their internet service?
Their tether option at 30 bucks a month? (we've used att in the past at 60 bnucks a month)

I am sure ATT and Verison have the best coverage but is Sprint acceptable?
Do you think (know) if they will get larger or better in the near future?

TIA
Tom

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had Sprint for over 15 years, and never really had a problem with it. I had one phone that I linked to my computer on the boat, but currently have a Sprint AirCard, which works well.

I have heard that Sprint doesn't get reviewed as well as Verizon (and I guess ATT), but I've got no complaints. Hope that helps.

Also I've traveled from Portland, ME to Houston, TX (mostly by water) and seldom lose signal if we are near enough to land. On roads like I-95, there has never been a problem.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

... I am wondering as we travel the USA a lot and are in some remote spots what you think of their phone service?
Their internet service?...

I've been engaged in extensive business travel on the east coast and have used several cell providers over the years. Cell coverage and now, Internet service are critical in business operations. My preference is almost exclusively Federal/State/County&City campgrounds. My choice, based on experience, is Verizon for both cell phone and MiFi. While I have been in fringe areas, it has been extremely rare that I didn't have both cell and internet service while camped. I can't make that claim with the other carriers I have used.

RVn Full-time

2oldman

Quincy WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You get what you pay for. You may get away with it, but you'll have to not only look at the coverage maps, but also believe them.

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the Sprint... found the internet to be painfully slow. We're still using sprint for our phones but moved to Verizon Mifi for internet. Much faster. Currently on the west coast, if it matters.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on the East coast.
I use Sprint daily for Business. I also camp in remote areas. I have no complaints. Sprint is not perfect , but it does work for me 98% of the time

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my IPhone from ATT. I did NOT buy the unlimited data package nor the text package. 20 year old ATT clerk couldn't wrap that around his brain how any one could exist without an unlimited package!

I don't know how old you are but unless you are 17 and text to death 24/7's and play on line games you don't NEED the unlimited package.

I'm coming up on 2 years with my Iphone with AT&T and I have yet to go over my 'limited' data plan. I have had good service all over.

I use Sprints Novatel Wirelss USB for my internet and again have had excellent service where ever I travel (full time so that's ALL over!)
And I bought that over 5 years ago and the device still works just fine.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sprint now roams both talk and data and they roam on the Verizon system. This is why Sprint's map has grown in the past year or so to include so much more of the country. We have had Sprint for about five years now and have had few places on the East Coast that we did not have service. We do not have smartphones but we do have a data plan for email and basic browsing. If you are on contract with Sprint they will not change your plan when they introduce new plans UNLESS they discontinue some part of the service that is included on your plan. Now, for me, I am stuck with the non-smartphone with Sprint because if I get a smartphone from them now, my plan will be automatically upgraded to one of the new plans and I will pay twice what I am paying now for a family plan. So we are keeping our older phones until we cannot use them on the Sprint system for whatever reason - and then we will shop for another company.

Also look for hidden costs with Sprint. $10 additional per month for any smartphone service. This is added to the $70.

It is important to understand that a lot of no contract Android plans use Sprint's own data network which is very limited in coverage as there is no roaming with these onto Verizon as Sprint's own contract plans do. So if you go with Sprint - go with a contract with Sprint and not any of Sprint's off shoots like Virgin Mobile or Boost.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are new to smartphones you probably don't have a clue as to your usage habits. I've never gone over 2GB in a month with mine while RV traveling over a full month so my unlimited AT&T plan is nice but not critical. I just don't use my iPhone that intensely and there are many wifi options along the roads to supplement your more intense usage. My wife's new iPhone is not grandfathered in like mine and she is limited in usage. I would make an unlimited plan a main criteria. Sprint may be OK if your local coverage is good and usually is in the larger metro areas, but for an RVer I think you are selecting 3rd best in coverage (behind Verizon and AT&T) by quite a bit. Unless Sprint was the best local coverage where I lived I would not select them as an RVer.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

tallyo

Fort Myers,Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had Sprint for over 10 years. There have never been any hidden costs. Their disclosure is always as advertised if you read.
We bought new phones last year and when we travel we activated the Hotspot on one phone @$29/month with unlimited data. When we are not traveling we stop the hotspot. So far the internet access has been very good and just as fast as can be. Of course we have to be in a Sprint service area but to date we have had no problems. As others have said Sprint , like others , are sharing towers and coverages are always expanding.

Tallyo
2012 Phaeton 40 QBH
Freightliner, 6 spd Allison
2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT w/ Brake Buddy Vantage
Drinks-6, Eats-4, Sleeps-2
Semper Fi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts