|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New led TVs need to run on true sine wave inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't make any difference, the kind of TV, LCD or LED. Nothing in either TV actually runs on AC. The AC is converted to DC in the TV and that is what everything in the TV runs on, just like your computer or laptop, everything actually runs on DC.
Have the guy explain why a MSW inverter will decrease the life of the TV. He can't.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

FIRE UP

Ramona, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gents,
We don't have an LCD/LED TV at present but, this kind of info is neat to know. I don't remember what our present inverter is as far as MSW or PSW. I think it's good info here. I've never really understood the "MSW" and "PSW" stuff anyway. Electronics have always eluded me. If I can't see it, touch it, (sort of) and put it in a container, it's hard for me to comprehend it.

In solid things like, liquids, metals, wood, and other type stuff like those, I can see, feel, touch, measure, and more. Anyway, not getting too far off the subject matter here. Apparently if, and I hope this doesn't happen all too soon, we have to get a new inverter, I guess it sounds like I'd be good to search for a PSW unit huh? So, thanks for the info.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

ewarnerusa

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brand new LED TV makes a terrible loud buzzing sound from the back of the unit when plugged into power from a MSW inverter. Not from the speakers when turned on, but continuously while it is plugged in whether it is turned on or off. With PSW inverter power (and shore power), no buzzing. That answered the MSW or PSW question for me.
To obfuscate things, I am running "cheap" PSW inverters from ebay. My 300 watt unit works perfect with no buzzing from the TV, the 1000 watt unit results in a quieter version of the buzz from the TV. So the 300 watt unit will have TV duty and the larger inverter will provide power for everything else when needed.

Aspen Trail 2710BH | 280 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter

jvander

Indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The temperature and humidity fluctuations in an RV make a hostile environment for electronics and will probably shorten the life of an LED TV more than a MSW. And chances are pretty good that TV technology will change and you'll want a new TV in 3-4 years regardless. Most computer UPSs are MSW and they run PC power supplies and monitors without an issue.
Garym114 is right. The TV's power supply converts the AC to DC anyway, so I doubt that an MSW inverter will shorten the life of an LED TV. It may shorten the life of the TVs power brick however. I can testify that my laptop's power brick runs much hotter on a MSW inverter than a PSW inverter.

1993 Coachmen Catalina 31'
Chevy P30, 454 TBI, Hedman Hedders w/ x-pipe and Jones Full Boar mufflers. Same mileage as stock exhaust, but we get there faster!
Looking for a better rig...

ped

cincinnati

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anythinng an LED TV would accept MSW much better than a typical unit. But that's a moot point. I too would like to hear not only the logic behind this claim but actual proof.

Lets not even mention that if it were true, which is highly doubtful, I could buy a couple dozen small LED TV's for the price of a good pure sine wave inverter. lol

billyboy

md

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok, i'll add to this. i have a 52" lcd and it won't run on a 475 watt msd, and the tv only draws 140 watts. do i need a psw

08 33 windsport 22k towing 06 saturn ion

deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My cheap Vizio LED/LCD tv's run fine on my 17 year old 2500W Inverter.

Buy the TV. Try it. If it lights up and works normally, enjoy it.

If not, go back to the CRT or get the PSW Inverter.

Life is too short to worry about the "what if".

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSW (Modified Sine Wave) inverters output a stepped version of a sine wave. There may be many steps (relatively expensive MSW) or just a few. This allows the use of lower wattage & less expensive output devices.

The issue is spikes and sags that can occur with a poorly designed system. If there are spikes in the output waveform, they can easily surpass the voltage ratings of downstream devices inside of other electronic devices. Those devices may exhibit buzzing from the speakers or lines in a picture or other anomalies. Although many modern electronic components have 'head room' for this sort of thing, such spikes can & do prematurely age components.

The expected life time of those downstream components is solely dependent upon the quality of the components used in the design.

If you use a MSW converter, and see or hear NO anomalies, it would be safe to use and would probably NOT decease the life of the component.

As with any electronic device, the more you pay for a MSW converter, the better it probably is.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garym114 wrote:

Doesn't make any difference, the kind of TV, LCD or LED. Nothing in either TV actually runs on AC. The AC is converted to DC in the TV and that is what everything in the TV runs on, just like your computer or laptop, everything actually runs on DC.
Have the guy explain why a MSW inverter will decrease the life of the TV. He can't.

+1 on this. If it's an overheating problem you can usually tell by putting your hand on various areas at the back of the tv set. But like garym114 says, only the power supply for the tv runs on ac; everything else runs on dc. The only issue I can foresee would be whether the power supply does not react well to MSW current and that would probably manifest itself in greater heat.

Craig

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa_desert_rat wrote:

garym114 wrote:

+1 on this. If it's an overheating problem you can usually tell by putting your hand on various areas at the back of the tv set. But like garym114 says, only the power supply for the tv runs on ac; everything else runs on dc. The only issue I can foresee would be whether the power supply does not react well to MSW current and that would probably manifest itself in greater heat.

Craig

Heat is the enemy of electronic devices. Heat tends to allow the smoke to escape. Once the device loses its smoke, it often quits working. Allowing the smoke to escape often allows the sparks to escape also. Once the sparks escape, the device is done for.
The smoke and sparks must be firmly retained. Never allow them to escape! (I would have put a smiley here, but I couldn't make the fool thing work!)

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> New led TVs need to run on true sine wave inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes