|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Water leak in brand new TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jculp75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 12:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,
We just purchased a new 2012 travel trailer last month. On our maiden voyage, 2 weeks ago, we had planned to perform systems checks on everything in the RV to make sure everything was in proper working order. Unfortunately, we discovered that the drain pipe in the tub was not connected properly (no pipe cement and completely detached) and water spilled uncontrolled under the tub and around the bathroom cabinets. We noticed it within two baths and stopped using it from then on. Fortunately, the RV seems to be designed fairly well in that all of the excess water drained out over the end of the floor in the back (the bathroom is in the back of the RV). Needless to say, we were less than happy with the lack of quality control and took it back to the dealership to have the plumbing fixed and an additional PDI performed. We are torn about what to do at this point because we love the new RV, but I am also paranoid about any sort of water damage in an RV. I don't believe that any permanent damage will have been caused since it was only a brief occurence, but I don't have much experience with RV's. My questions to the forum are:
- Should I do anything in addition to what I have already?
- Will this affect my resale value in the future?
- Should I be worried about any long term affects of this?
- The dealer is putting a de-humidifier in the bathroom area; is this going to be very affective? I'm also concerned about areas the dehumidifier might not reach.
- Should I demand some sort of written statement that they have inspected and no permanent damage is present?

It is currently in the shop having repairs made (as of 4/8/12)

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 03:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was just that short time, I wouldn't worry about it after they fix it, but I would definately check it the next time you use it and I would check all the other drains, (sinks) and the rest of the plumbing.

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

BigSur2

Hampton, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any serious water damage would be visible. I'd just keep my eye on it. You're probably fine as long as it doesn't happen it again. When certain materials get wet more than once...that's when your problems begin.

I feel your pain. Had a pretty nasty leak under my kitchen sink on my 2012 Bullet on our maiden voyage last week.

BigSur2
2012 Keystone Bullet 286QBS
2006 Ford F150 5.4 V8

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hook up the water on my new used TT a few months ago. I opened all the little plumbing access panels and checked for leaks. I will do this on a periodic check. Vibration etc. can caused things to loosen and move a little.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to ask the dealer to check all the other fittings to make sure they were properly connected.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems that a lot of new RVs suffer from water leaks, although most not as severe as yours. Both TT that we bought new had leaks. The Gulfstream leaked around the water fittings under the kitchen sink and under the vanity and around a fitting to the water pump. The Jayco leaked around one kitchen sink drain and the shower wall. In both TTs we found the leaks, tightened things up, recaulked, and dried up the mess. There was no permanent damage. If you dry it up well you should be okay. Keep an eye on all your fittings and tighten as needed in the future.

SabreCanuck

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had same thing only different. Mfg forgot to put a rubber washer on the black tank clean out "feed" that entered the trailer under the bathroom sink. When I hooked the hose up we ended up with water all over the bathroom floor.

We just cleaned it all up and kept camping. FLOOR'S CLEAN!!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably the BEST thing you could do for the RV is to tow it. Take it out on the highway for a day long trip and it will work wonders to clean up any remaining moisture in the back wall. PROBABLY won't see any effect long term but I'd feel better about an aluminum framed RV than a wooden framed one in this situation. Anything you can do to continue to dry it out will be a benefit.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

JKQ

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey jculp 75, water leaks of all kinds are a common occurrance in a new RV. Although your concerns are understandable, from my experience over the years it's rare that a small leak even though it seems HUGE at time causes any permenant damage. I've already had two in my less than a month old Enterra. Be sure that the area get alot of ventilation. Most new trailers today have the entire floor covered with linoleum as this is done before any interior wall or shower is installed so any laying water will eventually evaporate & not get absorbed into the wood or laminate subfloor & all light models have aluminum studs so nothing get absorbed there. Enjoy your new RV.....Joe

2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

RedRocket204

CO Front Range Mnts - Got MTB trail?

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What TT brand was this?

Frustration should really be directed at the manufacturer but it seems like dealers should do their own PDI upon receiving the RV. As for your leak, it happens.

When you go back after the repairs have have been made, make sure on your next PDI that they go through absolutely everything, and I mean everything. Every light (internal and external), faucet, drain, slide (if you have one) in and out no less than 10 times, all cabinet doors, oven lights, burners light, fridge works on propane and elect, AC works, heater works, radio, TV, stab jacks, awning out, black tank, gray tank and valves, black tank flush. Have them break out a ladder and allow you to inspect the roof. Look for seams that don't look sealed properly. I'm sure I have missed a few things but you get the idea.

Plan on spending up to 3 hours on your next PDI. Bring some blue painter's tape to mark items that need fixing during your PDI. Bring a video camera so you can re-watch if you don't remember what was said and how to use something.

Once you work through these initial stages of a new RV, you will most likely love it.

I love me some land yachting

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Water leak in brand new TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS