|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Water leak in brand new TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jculp,

NO, there has been no permanent damage from this one time accident. Continuous exposure to water over long periods of time is the big problem. Living in Oregon, at least in Western Oregon, you must be aware of all the mold and mildew and rot nightmares.

I would let them fix it and run the dehumidifier to dry things out. Then, as someone suggested, I would take a run into Eastern Oregon or Washington and camp for a few days. It will be dry by then.

And lastly, look on the bright side. This was a big leak that you spotted in time to take advantage of the warranty. Imagine a slow leak that continued on. A nasty thought that for sure.

2008 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch
Prodigy Controler

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every time we get to a campground, I have my wife listen for water sounds when I pressurize the water system. Also need to check the J traps under the sinks. All the bouncing around while traveling can make plumbing fixtures and fittings loosen up. It is not unusual to have to tighten a fitting now and then.

Your trailer should be fine after it gets dried out. It is repeated wetting and staying wet that does the damage.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the same thing with a Starcraft. It was shipped without a P trap for the shower and we had quite a bit of water leak through the floor and in the wire chases. There was also a water leak in the wall.

I held out for a written warranty against future mold and delamination problems due to water. They said it wasn't necessary because it wasn't that bad. I argued that if it wasn't that bad then they should have no worries about the warranty. Long story made short, they gave me the warranty and they ended up repairing some delamination at a later date.

There is no such thing as a little water in a travel trailer.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If water got into an enclosed and insulated underbelly it must be opened and allowed to dry. The insulation will hold water against the wood floor and it will rot. It only takes one time of soaking that insulation and leaving it wet.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shenandoahvalley wrote:

It seems that a lot of new RVs suffer from water leaks, although most not as severe as yours. Both TT that we bought new had leaks. The Gulfstream leaked around the water fittings under the kitchen sink and under the vanity and around a fitting to the water pump. The Jayco leaked around one kitchen sink drain and the shower wall. In both TTs we found the leaks, tightened things up, recaulked, and dried up the mess. There was no permanent damage. If you dry it up well you should be okay. Keep an eye on all your fittings and tighten as needed in the future.

See that's what makes me mad!!! There is absolutely no reason why a brand new trailer worth thousands of dollars should leak anywhere, period! they all should be put through some type of quality check.

RVs are no different than a car, you buy a new car you expect everything to be working, all the the nuts and bolts tight and no lose wires and no leaks!!

I'm a little jaded right now because I just made the first payment on my camper and I only had possession of it for 4 days. Its been at the dealership for 3 weeks now getting a mountain of repairs done. things that should've been caught at the factory if not the dealership prior to delivery to me. people just don't care about pride in workmanship anymore.

Made in America huh? and people wonder why were getting our butts kicked!

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

jculp75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for the tips, advice and most importantly the re-assurance. I've heard so many horror stories about water damage that I already have a tube of silicone and Dicor in the tool box for the first sign of a problem. They did actually miss some areas on the roof as well that I found when I inspected it during the first trip. The dealer is also fixing that.

Someone asked what brand the trailer is - it's a Dutchmen Denali 261bh. I had met the product manager for Denali at the RV show and emailed him the photos as well as the dealer. Both were very accomodating. The product manager sent the photos to manufacturing and within an hour the Manufacturing manager sent me a note apologizing and thanking me for the photos. He had distributed to the shop floor and most importantly to the area in which the plumbing work is done. It may not have helped my issue, but perhaps it will create a process change at the factory that someone else will benefit from in the future. I was very impressed how quickly they responded.

I know this wouldn't be covered on an extended warranty (as it's structural), but I am glad I opted for the extended warranty.

We pick it up from the dealership on Friday (I'm planning 2-3 hours to go over it again); immediately after we pick it up we are heading on another road trip to do another systems check (and sit by the campfire a bit too).

turbopilot51

Ridgefield, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our new rv out last weekend for the first time. As we were packing up I was outside securing items in storage and hooked up the black tank flush for the first time. Within a few minuets the dw is calling me to quickly come inside the rv. There was water coming out from under the kitchen pantry and sink area. I quickly shut off all water and began to investigate. I pulled the back panel off from behind the breaker panel and saw lots of water covering the area under the pantry/sink and the wiring going into the panel. We dried up as much water as we could reach but the sick feeling in our stomachs was tremendous. I dropped of the rv at the dealership on the way home and are still waiting to hear what the problems are.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just brought home a new TT a little over a week ago. I took off an access panel under the shower to fish some wire through there. In the process of squeezing my hand past the drain (I hooked my fish tape on some other wires and couldn't get it off), I ended up pushing on the P trap. I ended up with RV antifreeze running down into the enclosed underbelly. There were three connections on the P trap plus the drain in the bottom of the shower. Every one of them was very loose. I was able to tighten all four of them with my hand. I was barely able to tighten anything under the bathroom sink; I was able to tighten a little more under the kitchen sink. Then I went and got a 5 gallon bucket. I dumped 4 gallon of water in each (shower, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink) and checked for leaks.

ERS

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DE88ROX wrote:

shenandoahvalley wrote:

It seems that a lot of new RVs suffer from water leaks, although most not as severe as yours. Both TT that we bought new had leaks. The Gulfstream leaked around the water fittings under the kitchen sink and under the vanity and around a fitting to the water pump. The Jayco leaked around one kitchen sink drain and the shower wall. In both TTs we found the leaks, tightened things up, recaulked, and dried up the mess. There was no permanent damage. If you dry it up well you should be okay. Keep an eye on all your fittings and tighten as needed in the future.

See that's what makes me mad!!! There is absolutely no reason why a brand new trailer worth thousands of dollars should leak anywhere, period! they all should be put through some type of quality check.

RVs are no different than a car, you buy a new car you expect everything to be working, all the the nuts and bolts tight and no lose wires and no leaks!!

I'm a little jaded right now because I just made the first payment on my camper and I only had possession of it for 4 days. Its been at the dealership for 3 weeks now getting a mountain of repairs done. things that should've been caught at the factory if not the dealership prior to delivery to me. people just don't care about pride in workmanship anymore.

Made in America huh? and people wonder why were getting our butts kicked!

Similar discussion here:
Quality Control

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbopilot51 wrote:

We took our new rv out last weekend for the first time. As we were packing up I was outside securing items in storage and hooked up the black tank flush for the first time. Within a few minuets the dw is calling me to quickly come inside the rv. There was water coming out from under the kitchen pantry and sink area. I quickly shut off all water and began to investigate. I pulled the back panel off from behind the breaker panel and saw lots of water covering the area under the pantry/sink and the wiring going into the panel. We dried up as much water as we could reach but the sick feeling in our stomachs was tremendous. I dropped of the rv at the dealership on the way home and are still waiting to hear what the problems are.

I feel your pain. it kind of sucks all the excitement out of getting a new rig when you have to turn right around and take it back so things will be done right. All of my repairs were done on interior things. Plus they pretty much rebuilt the bathroom after gutting it out. I told my service advisor, "those are just the things that I can see, whats going to happen when I start using all the plumbing, electrical and HVAC systems?"

Something tells be i'm going to be glad I bought the extended warranty!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Water leak in brand new TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS